CMNT v. Bulgaria friendly - May 23, 2014

sloth8

CSA just announced that the closed-door friendly will take place in May and will be played in Austria. According to their press release, this will be the first meeting at the Men's international A Level between the two nations.

The friendly will take place as part of a ten day camp in Austria which runs from May 18 to 28.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-mnt-to-face-bulgaria-in-may-p156147

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the Bulgarian footballers are on a high.  You would expect the squad, as usual, to contain its fair share of Ludogorets players.  That said, their recent run of good form in the Europa, in which they dominated their group with teams like PSV and Chornomorets and Dinamo Zagreb was certainly encouraging.  They beat Lazio, and then lost to Valencia and were eliminated.

Still, they got exposed to some high level football there, and went further than expected, and I think the players from that squad that join the national team will be in top form. 

For Bulgaria, this is about gearing up for Euro 2016, which is encouraging for them because they reportedly feel like they got a good group in which they have a chance to qualify (although in MY opinion not the easiest group out there).  

Anyone else kinda disappointed that with so many teams in the US pre-World Cup this summer we have to go all the way to Europe to play closed door games instead of games in the US or even at home? 

I find it odd that other federations always release this information before the CSA … or at least it seems that way.

after it's happened so many times, I don't really find it odd anymore.  seems normal, almost surprised when we announce them ourselves.

It should be a good match either way, Bulgaria isn't a very strong team in UEFA by any stretch of the imagination, they have been relatively weak since their blow out in euro 2004. if the CSA were able to get the top players out (which is unlikely) then i could see this as a good match for us. either way its good to see the CSA is getting dates for the national squad and camps running. 

http://www.fmf.md/ro/news/read/amicale_arabia_saudita_canada

Moldova federation says that they'll play Canada on the 27th of May in Austria after playing Saudi Arabia on the 24th.

Weird how the Federația Moldovenească de Fotbal deleted that link (posted April 3rd) and created a new announcement saying the same thing:

http://www.fmf.md/ro/news/read/meciuri_amicale_canada_arabia_saudita (dated April 9th).

It's like they posted it too soon or something. Seems like it's a go though.

Too bad it's closed door, I would be tempted to go. I am off for a month and Austria is a big travel goal.

I bet if you contacted the CSA letting them know you're going to be there and would like to see the game in any capacity, they could find a way. Try talking to Dominic Martin, he's the active Director of Marketing (dmartin@canadasoccer.com). Great guy, easy to work with, might be able to get you in to see it. Heck, maybe if you get a hold of Max Bell you could work on his media crew for a day lol.

Archived