New Canadians abroad

Blackdude

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here are the Canadians who have registered for Thursday's NWSL draft. About 5 have played for Canada's youth teams. Regan has 1 senior cap. There 6 ON, 2 BC, 1 AB, 1 USA, & 1 QC players.

A couple are dual nationals. Riviere didn't register as it appears she is headed to the WSL.

Emily Amano (Colgate- M/D)

Shana Flynn (UCLA/Arkansas- F/M/D)

Tianna Harris (Kent State -D)

Tanya Boychuk (Memphis - F)

Samantha Chang (South Carolina - M)

Sydney Collins (California -D)

Jessica De Filippo (Arkansas - F)

Reese Moffatt (Oregon - D)

Ida Miceli (Niagara - F/D)

Emma Regan (Texas - M/D)

Madelyn Robbins (Fairleigh Dickinson - F/M)

Mikayla Daves & Malikae Dayes are sisters  born in Toronto but have represented Jamaica. Sabrina McNeill played with Oshawa Kicks but is listed as American only by NWSL while Canucks Abroad says she is a dual.

There are about 250 players who have registered for the 48 draft slots. Drafted players need to be offered a contract in 60 days or their NWSL rights are relinquished. 

Quinn is the highest-drafted Canadian in the NWSL. They went third overall to the Washington Spirit in 2018. Evelyne Viens was chosen fifth overall by Sky Blue in 2020 while Deanne Rose was taken by North Carolina in 2021 but opted for WSL.

As per a noted NWSL draft projection, De Filippo is ranked 17th: A gamble on one year of production, but what a year it was. Strong chance creation numbers to go with a whole lot of defensive work rate.

Collins is 19th: Boom-or-bust passer who's also one of the class' best dribblers. Improving overall passing will be key to sticking long-term.

Edited by red card

Only 1 Canadian taken in NWSL draft in the first round. About 1 round earlier than projected.

And she is a dual as her mother was a Canadian volleyball player while her father was a NFL player. She has played for the US at a few youth age levels. 

Edited by red card

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Guardian is coming out with its best 100 women of 2023, to date we have 40-100. Fleming is at 95, Kailen Sheridan comes in at 91st, Ashley Lawrence at 75th. I am not sure any other Canadians will rate.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2024/jan/09/the-100-best-female-footballers-in-the-world-2023

I don't like the list as I find it illogical, to the point of incoherent, but we'll see with the final 40.  There are players who have been injured for a chunk of the year, players who did not even make the World Cup. Others had two decent WC games and they are in.

Like they put the two Barça keepers at 86 and 88, Cata Coll wins the World Cup, Paños the Champions League, maybe that vote got split but both have had better years than many keepers ahead of them (Musovic, who is very good, but not better than them). Then they put young Dutch player Esme Brugts at 79 when she hasn't done a thing, not for country or club; then there are some merited presences, Zambian Kundanagni who is at Madrid CF and scored big last season, continues scoring big this year, and had a strong WC.

The list of those voting seems quite complete, but I don't think it is anywhere near as rigorous as the men's list. From Canada they have Amy Walsh, Harjeet Johal with Equalizer (who the hell are they?), Meaghen Johnson from TSN and Mariam Kourabi, who I am not sure qualifies as an expert yet.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Melissa Dagenais has signed with Sport Futebol Damaiense Feminino. They're currently fifth in the liga BPI table. 

I'm going to surmise that Priestman told her to she needs to continue to get playing time as a pro to ensure selection as Canada's 3rd GK. So, she withdrew from NWSL draft as US college keepers going to NWSL get little to no playing time in their first year.