New Canadians abroad

Blackdude

Prince scores 3rd goal. Dash win 4-3 against last place NC.

Also today, McLeod gave up 6 to the Thorns. Worst goals against in the NWSL - giving up 2/match. On the other hand, Sheridan kept a clean sheet keeping San Diego first but have played 1 more match than most teams.

Edited by red card

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Schmidt continues to be in form this season. Dash are in second place with a 2-2 draw against second worst team that just let go of their second coach in about a year for abusing players. In between, Washington were crowned NWSL champions last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Sider-Echenberg was invited to a recent u20 camp and also trained with Racing Louisville. Going to France where over 20 Canadians play.

uSports women's soccer starting to produce pros - yet the sport is classified as tier 2 by them.

Edited by red card

Vanessa Hansen scored 2 goals for Gorica in croatian 2nd women's division last Sunday. 

Below is an article that appeared in the local Velika Gorica portal back in April.

Her name is Vanessa, last name is Hansen, she is 26 years old. She is Canadian, soccer player and soccer coach, but also proof that sometimes in life you can go the opposite way. Croats often go to Canada in search of happiness, and Vanessa came to Croatia from Canada. And that's because of football.

– As a player and coach, I reached the maximum level in Canada, but that does not mean that my development as a player and coach is over. I needed a different kind of work in football than in Canada, I wanted to see how it is done in other parts of the world.

In Canada, Vanessa played for two Vancouver universities, but after that she just had nowhere to play. It sounds incredible, but the country that has an Olympic gold medal in women's football does not have a women's football league! As her boyfriend Ivica is a Canadian Croat, Vanessa chose Croatia to continue her football story. She will play for the women's team of Gorica Kömmerling, and the coach will be in NK Ban Jelačić from Vukovina.

- I came to play football, that is my priority. To learn about football, to be in football in a different environment. I know that there is a lot of soul in Croatian football, which Canada lacks, and I am looking forward to having the opportunity to feel what it is like to play football with heart and soul. I am also looking forward to coaching the children, I am glad that I can show these girls what I know and help them progress. Also, I want to continue learning as a coach, from all the coaches I will work with here.

https://cityportal.hr/video-od-vancouvera-do-vukovine-kako-nam-je-nogomet-doveo-vanessu/

It seems a lot easier to jump back and forth across the ocean than it used to be.  I had the impression that the NWSL was loathe to grant permission to players up to a few years ago.  Anyway, I wonder if Gilles and Angel City parted amicably?  She seemed to be popular there at the start of the season.

Edit: I finally noticed the Market Value in the notice above.  I guess Angel City would take it better if they got some cash in return.

Edited by rkomar