New Canadians abroad

Blackdude

1 hour ago, _Vic_ said:

The Czech ref struggled. She also blew a PK on a defenders trip on a Barca forward in the Paris box in the first half. A lot of confusing calls and non-calls, and questionable cards like Mapi León's. I think she was put in over her head and whoever assigned her should have to answer for it.

I know Oshoala just came on the field and back from injury but I still can't believe she missed that. Even if she tried ten times I wonder is she could get the ball through her legs and out the back like that again.

You nailed the wingers. Martens was a hot mess and Hansen just destroyed anyone and everyone blue on the right side the entire game.

Endler was quality as usual, the second time in as many games she's bailed her side out.

Well I am glad it was not just me (and the press here) wondering about that ref. I think she was compensating PSG after Barça went one up. I don't mind her not pulling out cards, or accepting some hard play, as you have to manage two legs and a potential final. But some penalties are flagrant. 

This was the first UEFA match since the SuperLeague fiasco, and many here were wondering if we'd be made to pay for it. I know this sounds forced, so I'll just leave it at that. As I see it, you have to take your chances and even overcome reffing bias. Barça has only won at home this year, and will have fans in the stands, so I think its our advantage (I'm happy for the Canadians, but not enough to want them to beat us).

I told a friend of mine 1:32 after kickoff she was out of her league. You could tell already. These two teams are so far above the Czech League.

Never even thought of Super League impact. Interesting but I think she was just unprepared for the quality. Her calls and non-calls seemed equally given and non-given. Too bad there were no PSG penalties in the Barcelona box, that would have been the real indicator. 

I'm not sure how injured Diani is but if she's back next weekend PSG will be a lot more balanced in the attack.

Just remembered a pretty funny moment in the game. PSG have a free kick outside the Barcelona box and the wall has lined up about 10m away. The referee goes over to the wall and starts talking to the Barcelona player on the outside of the wall, who keeps putting her hands up like she's confused. The ref keeps talking to her and finally you realize the player is saying I have absolutely no idea what you're saying. Not sure if she didn't speak English, or if it was coming across heavily Czech-ed or what, but the ref finally clued in and just walked away.

Edited by _Vic_
I live to typo

16 hours ago, _Vic_ said:

Just remembered a pretty funny moment in the game. PSG have a free kick outside the Barcelona box and the wall has lined up about 10m away. The referee goes over to the wall and starts talking to the Barcelona player on the outside of the wall, who keeps putting her hands up like she's confused. The ref keeps talking to her and finally you realize the player is saying I have absolutely no idea what you're saying. Not sure if she didn't speak English, or if it was coming across heavily Czech-ed or what, but the ref finally clued in and just walked away.

Beckham and Bale had conversations like that with Spanish refs for years playing for Real Madrid!

Barça took out PSG today, with Lawrence and Huitema, and go to the Women's Champions League final vs. Chelsea. To be played in 2 weeks in Gothenburg. Did not watch but it seems Chelsea only broke their match open late coming back from the 2-1 first leg; Fleming apparently played 90.

In Barcelona Lawrence played 90, Jordyn came on for the last 15, with a 15% capacity at the 7000 spectator 2nd stadium.

Barça was a deserving winner over both legs, would say. Today was not as well played as last week, maybe as there were more nerves. Lieke Martens broke free twice against Lawrence in the first minutes and scored twice, one a long shot, another from a goalmouth cross from Graham Hansen. Lawrence was also carded, probably not deserved, but Martens was harder to handle for them; I really did not feel Ashely was playing that badly, but objectively you'd say she had a bad day.

PSG settled down and got a goal back on a messy corner, it went into the half 2-1, PSG needing a goal to go through on the away goal rule. They seemed to want to push but really Barça had more chances 2nd half, hit two posts in around 65-70, and Huitema was brought on for the final push. Almost immediately she had a chance she missed. She played left side, then late was on Lawrence's side, they were working up the right together. But did not really threaten a lot.

I saw Ashley was very upset after, as were many PSG players, despondent. The Barça celebration was huge, as I see was Chelsea's. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

28 minutes ago, rkomar said:

The game summary is showing me that Fleming never saw the field, which is what I would expect.

I looked quickly at the UEFA site, but maybe it was the roster, not the starters, my mistake. 

She's still too new this level of competitive play, I'd say, and her utililty is different from Huitema's, who throw on late when you need a goal and in fact has scored for PSG

Yeah tough day at the office for #12. I think it was a combination of things. She looked off mentally, you could see it early on. No idea why, could by any of a thousand things both conscious and unconscious. And she was unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time. Martens picked today of all days to recover her world player of the year form. That first goal was just stunning. It's not easy to beat Endler and she hit it almost inch perfect. When you score you get confident and the second is always easier. She reacted quickly and moved into position for the follow-up which Graham Hansen loves to play across the six. And has done how many times in two games now? If you're looking for scapegoats try the left backs as well for getting shredded repeatedly. And the strikers, two goals on a team in two games isn't going to get you very far.

The tough part about playing defender (or goalkeeper) has to do with the saying about doctors and architects. Doctors bury their mistakes, architects have to look at them every day. When strikers misfire or mids bonk on a through ball everyone forgets it, but make a mistake as defender or goalkeeper and you're never so lucky.

I missed the games because of bad timing but caught the extended highlight packages. Both games seemed like they easily could have gone either way based on woodwork, near misses, ref calls, last minute blocks, crazy pinballs, etc. It's no wonder Emma Hayes cried and Lluis Cortes collapsed straight face down in the turf at the end. I remember walking away from a game with five minutes left once as a coach. Just couldn't take any more.  Sometimes watching is the hardest thing.

I've been really impressed with Jess Carter of Chelsea, Martens is going to have her work cut out to try and keep it going.

Chelsea has so many weapons its hard to keep them off the board when they're motivated and gunned up. Barcelona could have to score a few to win it. Think it will come down to how Oshoala, Hermoso, Martens and Graham Hansen can take advantage of what's given. If they're wasteful or even routine, the cups probably already in Chelsea's hand.

9 hours ago, _Vic_ said:

Yeah tough day at the office for #12. I think it was a combination of things. She looked off mentally, you could see it early on. No idea why, could by any of a thousand things both conscious and unconscious. And she was unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time. Martens picked today of all days to recover her world player of the year form. That first goal was just stunning. It's not easy to beat Endler and she hit it almost inch perfect. When you score you get confident and the second is always easier. She reacted quickly and moved into position for the follow-up which Graham Hansen loves to play across the six. And has done how many times in two games now? If you're looking for scapegoats try the left backs as well for getting shredded repeatedly. And the strikers, two goals on a team in two games isn't going to get you very far.

The tough part about playing defender (or goalkeeper) has to do with the saying about doctors and architects. Doctors bury their mistakes, architects have to look at them every day. When strikers misfire or mids bonk on a through ball everyone forgets it, but make a mistake as defender or goalkeeper and you're never so lucky.

I missed the games because of bad timing but caught the extended highlight packages. Both games seemed like they easily could have gone either way based on woodwork, near misses, ref calls, last minute blocks, crazy pinballs, etc. It's no wonder Emma Hayes cried and Lluis Cortes collapsed straight face down in the turf at the end. I remember walking away from a game with five minutes left once as a coach. Just couldn't take any more.  Sometimes watching is the hardest thing.

I've been really impressed with Jess Carter of Chelsea, Martens is going to have her work cut out to try and keep it going.

Chelsea has so many weapons its hard to keep them off the board when they're motivated and gunned up. Barcelona could have to score a few to win it. Think it will come down to how Oshoala, Hermoso, Martens and Graham Hansen can take advantage of what's given. If they're wasteful or even routine, the cups probably already in Chelsea's hand.

The highlights probably make it look like a better game than it was. It was not that entertaining though I was hoping for Barça to go through. 

I am sure Lawrence is disappointed but I doubt she's going to be blamed for those goals. I do think that Jordyn has to be taken to the Olympics on the basis of those minutes. She was not out of place, though I appreciate that if it comes down to choosing her or Viens leaving either off would be unfair.

Chelsea: I think vs. Man City Barça showed they can handle possession against the better English teams. The French sides are tougher to play and dominate, as I see it, as they are more interruptive tactically. The only concern I have with Barça is lack of intensity in the midfield, with dumb giveaways, and some sloppiness on set plays. 

On 4/26/2021 at 1:39 AM, _Vic_ said:

I told a friend of mine 1:32 after kickoff she was out of her league. You could tell already. These two teams are so far above the Czech League.

To be fair most women's leagues in Europe are below the level of the CL semi final.  Not just the Czech league.

For what it is worth, she has more experience than just the Czech league.

Olga Zadinová » Matches as referee (worldfootball.net)

Yeah I looked her up too during the game. She does about a handful of matches outside the Czech League each year.

The Czech League is a B league, perhaps even B-.  We've had a few Canadians go over there and play who were outside our national team pools. It's predominantly local players, not many foreigners at all.

Her calls in that game were usually baffling. Lucky for Barcelona they went through because if they got shafted again this past weekend, given recent events, the echoes of conspiracy theory would be ringing loudly.

I live in the Czech Republic and have watched a few club matches.  I am aware of the level. The league and national team have improved over the years but support for women's football is very low here. At least Slavia and Sparta have raised the awareness level of women's football with their respective runs in the Champions League. 

17 hours ago, _Vic_ said:

Yeah I looked her up too during the game. She does about a handful of matches outside the Czech League each year.

The Czech League is a B league, perhaps even B-.  We've had a few Canadians go over there and play who were outside our national team pools. It's predominantly local players, not many foreigners at all.

Her calls in that game were usually baffling. Lucky for Barcelona they went through because if they got shafted again this past weekend, given recent events, the echoes of conspiracy theory would be ringing loudly.

This last ref also came up with a baffling decision in the dying minutes, when PSG were pushing and one goal would put them through to the final. Oshoala had subbed on as striker m. 79. Around ten minutes later the ref decided her earrings were not right, and forced her to leave the field, attended by FCB staff, to take them off. Then PSG got a corner and instead of waving her in, she made her stay out, even though she was more than ready.

First, if the 4th official can't do a standard check on rings, earrings, studs, gear and the like, in a CL semi final, that is piss poor. Then, the main ref forces her off the field and leaves Barça with 10 for 2-3 minutes in a critical late moment because of their own error. And acts obstinately when she calls to come on to help defend a corner (PSG scored their only goal on a corner). 

Otherwise the ref did a good job this match, her lineswomen too except for the odd detail missed. There is no VAR in women's CL, that has to change and the whole reffing question has to pick it up to match the quality of play on the field.

[All said, Oshoala lives in la-la-land, how can you think your dumb earrings are more important than being in regulation dress in a semi-final?]

@Buchta - The Czech Republic have a strong reputation in turning out talent for a small country in other sports, hockey for example and we've been made to suffer for it many times. I've noticed the Prague teams have been getting stronger and making better runs and showings, it's only a matter of time before it lights up.

@Unnamed Trialist - didn't see that but am pretty familiar with the behaviour. There is a certain type of ref who loves to lord their presence over the entire event, both on equipment and then pretending they aren't looking at you off the field and have forgotten you're there to make you sweat.

There's also a universal rule at the amateur level - the longer a ref talks to teams at the beginning of the game, the worse a ref they are. If you get a talker you know you're in for an entertaining 90.

The women's game has some unique challenges around equipment like jewelry, hijabs, body piercing, etc. But at a professional level you should know the interpretations inside-out. She's very fortunate they didn't level the game with her off. 

Edited by _Vic_
typos

• 2 weeks later...

Ashley Lawrence makes the Women's CL Squad of the Season, they choose 23, as if a roster. There are 5 other defenders.

BTW, it is the second time she's been chosen.

8 Barça players on the team, 6 from Chelsea.

https://www.uefa.com/womenschampionsleague/news/0269-1251f7c018e6-9ff1b9a3dbfa-1000--squad-of-2020-21/

PSG are losing players and rumoured to be losing more. Most noticeable is central defender Irene Paredes who scored the second goal and is their captain and the leader of the team. She signed for Champions League winners Barcelona (she's from Basque country) as did Norway's 5'10" central midfielder Ingrid Syrstad Engen coming in from Wolfsburg.

I don't know that PSG won the French league or made it to the Champions League semi's over Lyon inasmuch as Ada Hegerberg didn't play a minute this year due to injury. In both competitions they were virtually dead even with PSG going through by the away goals rule and a single point. Hegerberg is the all-time Champions League leading scorer, with 53 goals in 50 games. If she was healthy PSG would be another footnote in another Lyon title.