MLS Expansion

Grizzly

Get ready for playing the teams in the other conference every couple of years.

Read the article. It clearly mentions that they'll play each team in the other conference once a year. It's the same formula for Interconference games as it is now. The difference is that teams will play with teams in their own conference twice a year.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Read the article. It clearly mentions that they'll play each team in the other conference once a year. It's the same formula for Interconference games as it is now. The difference is that teams will play with teams in their own conference twice a year.

I know that.

I meant that once the league expands past 20 teams, which I fully expect them to do.

Although the way the league changes its number of games from season to season anything can happen.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Monte, I'm just not convinced that Atlanta is a soccer success story waiting to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't say THAT...I just said that the MLS moving there was an eventuality.  But still stick by my original point that the MLS is fully legit.  That COULD trickle into Atlanta, but there's a reason they waited this long to get one of America's biggest markets into the MLS.

Monte, I'm just not convinced that Atlanta is a soccer success story waiting to happen.

Apparently there is some initiatives in Detroit by the Mayors brother to build a 5k stadium with the goal of a team in the USL by 2015 and to show MLS they can draw fans ... as Orlando did.

The fun thing is in Detroit there is lots cheap land downtown near the NFL stadium etc. that sports fans in general are used to going to to watch games, a stadium in one of the abandoned lands could be put up cheaply then re done in five years to become MLS quality at 18 to 25k.

Does Atlanta have a natural MLS rival ?

But Detroit would have two if not three with Chicago, Columbus and Toronto. 

I wonder if MLS will ever go MLS1 and MLS2 with clubs promoted and relegated (I know this has been discussed to death but I can't see them having 30+ teams all in the same league … and it might get there).

No because once a team drops to D2 they will draw flies and it will be a gate driven league for quite some time to come. Think more along the lines of MLB & NFL. In essence they will have 2 leagues with 16 teams each.  Limited play between the leagues getting rarer and rarer as the number of teams increases until you only meet in the playoffs.

No because once a team drops to D2 they will draw flies and it will be a gate driven league for quite some time to come. Think more along the lines of MLB & NFL. In essence they will have 2 leagues with 16 teams each.  Limited play between the leagues getting rarer and rarer as the number of teams increases until you only meet in the playoffs.

Yes I could see this as well and the loss of draw at the gate because you're not one of the big boys would definitely be a hit. 

Splitting up the league into an East and West conference where the majority of games would be played within your conference would not only keep all the teams in the top tier but would also cut down on the travel time.

I feel like I've said this somewhere on the forum before but with a combined population that is 6 times that of England's, the growth potential for MLS is really staggering. Even if soccer were only 1/10th as popular as it is in England, there would still be room for dozens of teams. Mind you competing with multiple other sports makes it tougher.

And in my above post I meant 'can see them having 30+ teams' not 'can't'. 

There will never be promotion/relegation in MLS. It doesn't make any business sense.

What I do expect is the number of playoff teams to increase to 16 eventually. The earlier rounds of the playoffs may be single-game knock out or the regular season schedule may be reduced.

I could also see them moving to 3 Conferences (East, Central, West) once they start to get close to 30 teams. Play each team in your Conference twice and outside your Conference once.

I don't think the talent issue is that big a deal. That can be solved with a salary cap increase as well as loosening the foreign player restrictions (although that may not be necessary). The league has increased from 12 teams in 2006 and the play is better than ever, if managed properly I don't see why that can't continue.

I   am  not  fussy   on  Atlanta.  it  is  a  horrible   sports  town   they  have  failed  at   2  nhl  teams   the  Braves  do  not  draw all  that  well,  and  same  with  the  Hawks,  The  Falcons  do  draw  pretty  good.  

Archived