MLS Expansion

Grizzly

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anybody else concerned about a diluted product here? Can this league really be a MAJOR (aka quality) league with the rapid expansion? Where are you getting these players from that will fill spots on these rosters?

All they have to do to address that at any point is to allow more foreign players in.

haha. that's a good joke.

Ottawa almost got in. All it needs is somebody with deep pockets who is willing to write the cheque in Ottawa, Edmonton or Calgary and a viable stadium plan and it could happen.

Ottawa almost got in. All it needs is somebody with deep pockets who is willing to write the cheque in Ottawa, Edmonton or Calgary and a viable stadium plan and it could happen.

Ottawa was never in it really. It was more MLS trying to make Portland, Vancouver and Montreal pay to say hey we could go elsewehere. They wanted to put pressure on those teams to a)  pay the money MLS wants B) have a grass SSS.

What is the league doing right now? I thought they were headed down a good route with teams getting SSS stadiums and such and now suddenly they're just opening the gates once again to NFL/MLB stadiums.  It cheapens the league IMO just when things were getting interesting.

This NYCFC stadium dilemma isn't an easy one, they're not going to just throw a stadium together this will take time.  So we have a Man City farm club playing in a baseball stadium.  Atlanta will play in a football stadium and so will Orlando and Miami.

What is the league doing right now? I thought they were headed down a good route with teams getting SSS stadiums and such and now suddenly they're just opening the gates once again to NFL/MLB stadiums.  It cheapens the league IMO just when things were getting interesting.

This NYCFC stadium dilemma isn't an easy one, they're not going to just throw a stadium together this will take time.  So we have a Man City farm club playing in a baseball stadium.  Atlanta will play in a football stadium and so will Orlando and Miami.

Agree 100% , I don't mind Seattle having an NFL stadium, but only because they can pretty near fill it. I don't see any of these teams doing as well as Seattle is, at least not as consistently, so I fear it's going to be a pretty poor atmosphere most of the time. The NYCFC situation is even worse. If I see baseball diamond shapes covered in turf on the field I might puke.

Atlanta is building a system similar to Vancouver so the atmosphere should just be fine. NYC is a temporary situation. And Orlando and Miami will likely sort their situations. I think the stadiums will be just fine. It's New England and Dc that need to be sorted out

anybody else concerned about a diluted product here? Can this league really be a MAJOR (aka quality) league with the rapid expansion? Where are you getting these players from that will fill spots on these rosters?

While MLS has been growing for over a decade now, the level of play has gone up. Moreover that would be the least of the leagues problem to ever become a topnotch league. What about the cap, the draft-system and the absent of promotion-relegation?

• 3 weeks later...

Atlanta is building a system similar to Vancouver so the atmosphere should just be fine. NYC is a temporary situation. And Orlando and Miami will likely sort their situations. I think the stadiums will be just fine. It's New England and Dc that need to be sorted out

Sounds like DC is closer to being sorted. Don't expect anything in New England until the Krafts are out of the picture.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/23/washington-dc-mayor-announces-city-has-reached-stadium-deal-dc-united

The Las Vegas City Council has asked investors hoping to bring a Major League Soccer team to Las Vegas to submit a financial plan by Sept. 1 for their proposed stadium, the Las Vegas Sun reported on Wednesday.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/22/report-las-vegas-city-council-sets-sept-1-deadline-financial-plan-mls-venue

Oh god no.  With Miami and Las Vegas in the league we would be seeing NASL part 2 with washed up Euro footballers looking to party out the rest of their days in America. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Chivas won't move out of LA. Being in that LA market is like the only reason anyone would buy them.

So, you think a team with attendances smaller than some USL Pro teams, no real fan base, and sharing a stadium with the LA Galaxy is going to to better by staying in LA?

So, you think a team with attendances smaller than some USL Pro teams, no real fan base, and sharing a stadium with the LA Galaxy is going to to better by staying in LA?

Yes and no.

Compare the Miami/Orlando expansion fees (~40 million IIRC?) to New York's (~100 million IIRC?). Like New York, the Los Angeles market costs a premium to buy into because it has the potential to be extremely lucrative; just look at how much the LA Clippers are selling for. I doubt many would pay the premium for that territory and then move away. So yes, they're staying in LA.

I'm assuming Chivas is taking so long to sell because MLS is making sure the new owners will have the capital and connections to divorce themselves from being the Galaxy's hangers on. So no, I'm not expecting them to continue on with no stadium, fans, etc. They will move out of Carson... but not out of LA.

I was just pondering what's going to happen with expansion.

Currently we have 10 in the East and 9 in the west.

Obviously New York goes in the East.  I'd think Orlando as well. Presumably Houston moves to the west.  And then we'll have 10 in the west, and 11 in the east for 2015.

But what happens once Atlanta get's added in 2017?  And then Miami (assuming that doesn't fall through).

Here's a map from Wikipedia showing the current division:

800px-Major_League_Soccer_club_locations

So clearly Kansas moves to the west.  And we'd have 11 in both the west and east.

But if Miami joins as well?  12 in the east, 11 in the west.

I suppose it's not the issue until the 24th team joins.  Would have to be western not to complicate things.  Though that's a long way off.

I think you answered it yourself.  When New York, Atlanta, Miami and Orlando join then Kansas and Dallas will go out west and it's basically balanced at 12 East, 11 West.  The next best market for expansion looks like Sacramento potentially since they're off to such a strong start.

With 24 teams MLS would probably re-align into 4 divisions of 6.  North West, South West, Mid-West & Atlantic I'd say.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking more of an NHL setup with divisions and conferences. Assuming the 4 teams go to Orlando, Miami, Atlanta and NYC III that would give the MLS 5 in the south (6 if they moved Chivas to San Antonio?) 5 on the West, 5 Centrally, but 8 on the East. All hypothetical based on who the expansion teams are, however focusing the majority of the games inter-devision would limit travel expenses (save for those in the central division) and ware on players and naturally build rivalries.

Ugh... While I see what you mean, having grown up in the NA market of sports leagues and their conferences and divisions, it drives me crazy for soccer. Just my opinion of course, but I hope it's not the case. One table, like everyone else.

Archived