Whitecaps FC changes for 2013

tmcmurph

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marc Weber ‏@ProvinceWeber

@ScottyAkes Peters was OK today. He's not in the best shape though. Evan James did OK, too. Not sure they need more DM (Lensky played CB).

^ Caps trialists beat TWU 4 or 5-1

"Evan James had a slow start in left midfield but soon came on to a good game, taking his goal well after a nice pass from Jaime Peters. He looked good going forward, with some nice touches, but whether he can offer anything better than what we already have at MLS level, I don't know, but at this point, I would say no.

That is the case with pretty much all of these guys.

Peters himself also came to the fore as the game went on and did well playing right midfield. He moves well, plays some nice passes and is hard to get off the ball with his stocky build. I think he is a player that the Caps will keep around if they move others on in trades or loan deals. He would definitely be a good squad player to have around."

"Andres Fresenga didn't really stand out one way or the other.

From all that we've seen so far, and what we know of them before, Orgill and Peters are really the only two players I would say would be worth a MLS shot right now. Possibly Fresenga too, but I would need to see him more challenged so the Charleston trip may let us see that.

Some, like James, are worth watching but they're not going to be anywhere near the first team reckoning any time soon, so bringing them in now at the expense of who is already there or who may be coming would seem pointless."

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?4189-Make-or-break-time-for-many-in-Caps-camp

Not super surprising about James. How are Clark and Teibert doing? I'm not SUPER high on Alderson yet, I'm kind of seeing the Ethan Gage comparisons as being apt.

I certainly think Alderson's a cut above any of the other Residency graduate midfielders. I don't understand the Gage comparison; Gage's problem is that he was a bull in a china shop with a good head but was limited technically and tried to do too much. Alderson is fine technically, even if he isn't a world-beater; he passes well and is comfortable with the ball at his feet. He's also much less physical than Gage, but better positionally and playing a somewhat different role.

Lensky and Peters have concluded their trials.

Looks like YP Lee is back to RB so that explains Peters exit. Andres Fresenga is still around and will have one hell of a mentor for learning the RB ropes. Lensky? Who knows. Longest trial I've ever heard of. Maybe he wanted too much money or maybe he just isn't interested and was filling time until he could make a decision? Who knows.

I certainly think Alderson's a cut above any of the other Residency graduate midfielders. I don't understand the Gage comparison; Gage's problem is that he was a bull in a china shop with a good head but was limited technically and tried to do too much. Alderson is fine technically, even if he isn't a world-beater; he passes well and is comfortable with the ball at his feet. He's also much less physical than Gage, but better positionally and playing a somewhat different role.

Is he? Good, yeah that was the complaint on Gage down from Reading was that he was a hard worker and everything, but lacked finesse. That comparison sort of reminds me more of Dunfield actually. Thanks for the correction for a guy who doesn't get to see Alderson much.

So Peters didn't get a contract at this time?

No, which is extremely disappointing.

MR said that he came in unfit and although his game got better towards the end of the trial, Peters never showed he was the same player he was at his peak.

I understand the Whitecaps only want to add players who will be improvements on what they have, and I respect that, but I really have a hard time with this one. Is Peters really that bad? Or are the Whitecaps players really that good?

I want to like the Whitecaps but it is hard when they refuse to take a chance on Canadians. Simon Thomas will be 3rd keeper if he is lucky but is this something to get excited about? No. That is like me getting excited about Roberts at TFC. I pray that Evan James makes the squad but I am sure if he does he will find himself glued to the bench alongside Alderson and Tiebert.

I understand the Whitecaps only want to add players who will be improvements on what they have, and I respect that, but I really have a hard time with this one. Is Peters really that bad? Or are the Whitecaps players really that good?

Did you watch the preseason games? Peters looked so out of shape. I couldn't believe someone would show up to a professional trial in that kind of condition. I don't understand this constant blabbering about wanting Canadian talent. Why would you want to reward someone like Peters who has clearly let himself go and is someone who has a bad attitude (or so I've read).

^ I too recall reading (Jim Magilton said it I think) that Peters' attitude was poor and he didn't have a pro mindset. If that's the case, you can't fault Vancouver for taking a pass on him. I hope this isn't the case, but I wonder if there ever was any interest in actually signing most of these guys, or could it just have been a PR stunt, ie. see we brought in a bunch of Canadians and tried to sign some but they just weren't up to scratch. I admit though, looking at who they brought in, that's probably a bit harsh.

I hope this isn't the case, but I wonder if there ever was any interest in actually signing most of these guys, or could it just have been a PR stunt, ie. see we brought in a bunch of Canadians and tried to sign some but they just weren't up to scratch. I admit though, looking at who they brought in, that's probably a bit harsh.

I think these invites were a bit of a PR move. The club is starting to get sensitive to the lack of Canadian content. Lenarduzzi was shielding Rennie from this last year, but now even the manager is talking about it. Swearing up and down that he's doing everything in his power to develop and bring Canadians to the club.

Personally, I think Lensky and Peters were cut because they wouldn't take contracts that reflected their anticipated roles. With Fresenga, I can only assume that his club wanted him to play more than the Caps would be able to offer.

I think the best we can hope for this year is that Thomas and James sign, while Alderson and Clarke are loaned out for some playing time. We don't have many central midfielders, and it looks like Rennie is finally trying Russell in his natural position. I think this will be where he thrives. There just aren't that many domestic MLS players who are comfortable on the ball or who have any vision.

One interesting note is that left-back Sam Adekugbe is on the preseason trip to Carolina. He featured quite a bit with the reserves last year. Jordan Harvey has been missing from training the last couple of days. Not sure if there's any connection...

^ I too recall reading (Jim Magilton said it I think) that Peters' attitude was poor and he didn't have a pro mindset. If that's the case, you can't fault Vancouver for taking a pass on him. I hope this isn't the case, but I wonder if there ever was any interest in actually signing most of these guys, or could it just have been a PR stunt, ie. see we brought in a bunch of Canadians and tried to sign some but they just weren't up to scratch. I admit though, looking at who they brought in, that's probably a bit harsh.

Given that this is YP Lee's last year (99.9% sure of it he says) they are actively looking for a RB I would say it is definitely not a PR stunt. When you are being put in the same position as someone who is older and on the verge of retirement you'd better not let him outdo you in fitness and attitude. That is the least you have to do. If you can't even keep up to a 36 year old (April 23rd) on fitness and attitude you are not going anywhere.

Did you watch the preseason games? Peters looked so out of shape. I couldn't believe someone would show up to a professional trial in that kind of condition. I don't understand this constant blabbering about wanting Canadian talent. Why would you want to reward someone like Peters who has clearly let himself go and is someone who has a bad attitude (or so I've read).

No I never watched the games actually, which is why I am asking if Peters was really that bad. If he was completely out of shape then fair enough he doesn't deserve a contract. I have only seen Fresenga play with the U23's so if he was released I will accept that. He will be better off with Racing anyways.

You don't understand the "constant blabbering" about wanting Canadian talent?

What is the point of a MLS team in Canada if it doesn't have Canadian players? Have you forgotten you are on a Canadian soccer website?

Peters never showed he was the same player he was at his peak.

I realize those are probably Rennie's words, but when exactly was Peters ever at any sort of peak? He has shown potential but also seems to have continually failed to reach his potential. Maybe showing up to the Caps camp out of shape gives some insight into why. He is still not that old at 25 turning 26 but from the days of not belonging on the pitch at 17 at WCQ to now he has mostly disappointed. During his whole time at Ipswich he only managed to be a steady starter for one year and spent the rest of the time as a depth player/sub/loanee. Quite honestly looking at his career I would expect the Caps to cut him even if he was in shape because he is probably not good enough for MLS unless he was willing to be a depth player with a salary in the 50 000 range.

No I never watched the games actually, which is why I am asking if Peters was really that bad. If he was completely out of shape then fair enough he doesn't deserve a contract. I have only seen Fresenga play with the U23's so if he was released I will accept that. He will be better off with Racing anyways.

What is the point of a MLS team in Canada if it doesn't have Canadian players? Have you forgotten you are on a Canadian soccer website?

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2013/02/13/3747771/martin-macmahon-whitecaps-coach-rennie-unafraid-to-send

In the end, Rennie thinks Peters and Fresenga weren't good enough. And he's the guy who've assessed for weeks. What do we know...

The fact is the current crop of Canadians just aren't good enough, or they want too much money because they are aware of the quota system in play. I'm perfectly content to have a team filled with internationals that are winning and committed to Vancouver. I'll be patient for the next few years until players from the residency system are ready to step it up.

Archived