Whitecaps FC changes for 2013

tmcmurph

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Salgado weighs about 200 right now, solid muscle. He's one of the biggest footballers I've ever seen.

Christ I did that on the mlssoccer board too, got Salgado confused. Actually I like Salgado as a potential target man. But Manneh, we'll see, he's still young.

What I'm getting at is, in an environment like MLS where you can't be sure even the guys you draft will stick with you, I'm not sure I like the idea of picking a guy who might not be a starter until 2015. Hurtado could potentially see minutes immediately.

They sure have a lot of speed up front now, no matter how you cook it.

Rob Friend now being linked to Vancouver (see twitter for details, multiple credible sources reporting it Ives, Goff, etc..)

The only thing the doesn't make sense is that it didn't happen earlier. Honestly think this guy is a great mold for MLS and will be a huge aerial threat.

Rob Friend now being linked to Vancouver (see twitter for details, multiple credible sources reporting it Ives, Goff, etc..)

The only thing the doesn't make sense is that it didn't happen earlier. Honestly think this guy is a great mold for MLS and will be a huge aerial threat.

Which god did Lord Bob piss off to deserve this? :)

Is it true about Fresenga, Trafford, and Simon Thomas trialling as well? If they trial and Rob Friend comes over, it could be fun for a Canadian Content loving guy like me to watch the Caps this year after all :) Although I already had high hopes for Teibert.

As for Fresenga, Trafford and Thomas, I could actually see all three catching on, although to different extents. Fresenga and Trafford particularly I'm excited to see.

I hope Miller will follow soon after

I just hope Chiumiento comes back as a result of Robson's departure. Even if you argue that in terms of stats he isn't that great, the flair and entertainment value he provides is a good enough reason to bring him back. I always liked him, especially for his feelings about Seattle.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/soccer/Whitecaps+part+ways+with+fiery+Scot+Barry+Robson/7851553/story.html

Exit the fiery Scot. Re-enter the entertaining Italian?

After months of speculation, Barry Robson’s forgettable tenure in Vancouver ended Monday. The Whitecaps and Robson mutually agreed to terminate a contract that paid the midfielder around $600,000 annually.

The move follows a half-season of struggle for Robson who, outside of a glorious game against the L.A. Galaxy, never truly looked like a fit in an increasingly fast and athletic MLS, no matter how many spots he played in.

Officially, the Whitecaps said the parting was down to Robson and his family failing to settle in Vancouver.

There’s truth in that, but avoiding an evaluation of Robson’s performance also spares the Whitecaps further shame over the mid-season misstep.

"I think we would have seen more from him this season, although I thought he showed a lot in the games last year," said Rennie. "I’m disappointed the way it worked out but it made sense for us to come to an agreement. I don’t think he and his family settled quite the way they’d hoped."

Fans, it seemed, never warmed to the 34-year-old Robson, whose arm-flailing rants – against officials and teammates – subsided as he adjusted to a new soccer culture but never disappeared.

But Robson’s departure might well pave the way for Davide Chiumiento’s return and, based on fan reaction to that possibility, it would be a welcome switch.

The Caps have admitted that Rennie and his former playmaker met for lunch over the break while Chiumiento was in town visiting friends. They’ve denied, however, that any contract discussion took place.

Sources close to the player say he misses Vancouver. His girlfriend is from here.

I would love Chiumiento to come back

The Caps’ other DP signing, Miller, is in training camp. Both he and the club say they’re looking forward to a full season together, but the jury is still out on that move. Miller scored twice in 13 games last season.

Ugh, Miller is a waste of a roster spot.

Archived