Whitecaps FC changes for 2013

tmcmurph

Ugh, Miller is a waste of a roster spot.

They can't offload him. They can only buy out one guaranteed contract per season and they've done that with Robson. I think they would have to make a trade to get rid of him. Can't see many clubs lining up for a guy that costs that much and scores so few goals.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They can't offload him. They can only buy out one guaranteed contract per season and they've done that with Robson. I think they would have to make a trade to get rid of him. Can't see many clubs lining up for a guy that costs that much and scores so few goals.

Loan to Europe

It looks like Friend is coming to Vancouver after all:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/22/source-canadian-intl-friend-leave-germany-caps

AMSTERDAM – Canada target forward Rob Friend is negotiating his release from German side Eintracht Frankfurt in order to make an already agreed-upon move to the Vancouver Whitecaps, MLSsoccer.com has learned.

According to sources close to the negotiations, the 31-year-old Saskatchewan native will be allowed to leave the promoted Bundesliga side on a free transfer once the final details of his contract dissolution are sorted.

The Whitecaps on Tuesday told MLSsoccer.com that "there is interest and some discussions" in the Canadian national teamer, but declined to comment further. Head coach Martin Rennie told The Province on Monday that Friend "is a Canadian player that we do like and if it was possible, we’d definitely be interested."

The 6-foot-5 Friend has yet to appear this season for Eintracht, currently in fourth place in the German top flight. Last season, he was limited by injury troubles to one goal in 13 games as Eintracht earned promotion.

If the move is completed, Vancouver would be the first homeland port of call for Friend, originally a fourth-round SuperDraft pick by the Chicago Fire in 2003. Instead, he joined Norwegian outfit Moss, and subsequently suited up for Molde FK, Heerenveen, Heracles, Borussia Mönchengladbach and Hertha Berlin before moving to Frankfurt.

In all, Friend has netted 72 goals in 244 European contests. He has also hit twice in 32 caps for Canada.

So apparently Whitecaps parted ways mutually with Robson

VANCOUVER, BC – Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today that the club has parted ways with midfielder Barry Robson. The club and player have mutually agreed to terminate the contract.

“We are thankful for the contributions Barry made during his time with the club. Unfortunately Barry and his family never fully settled in Vancouver, and we’ve mutually decided to move in different directions,” said Whitecaps FC president Bob Lenarduzzi. “On behalf of the club, I wish Barry the very best in the next stage of his career.”

Reading the response to Friend on a few different sites is really sicking.

"Are the Whitecaps too Canadian?"

"I don't get it. Vancouver seems to realize he's Canadian... and they still want o sign him? Don't they already have the minimum number of Canadian's"

There were idiots last year who were trying to blame Toronto's poor performance on the fact they had too many Canadians.

I'm not sure what "sicking" means exactly. I believe those comments were meant to be ironic or perhaps even funny. Other than Duane Rollins trolling the Southsider board, I haven't heard any comments recently on the lack of Canadians at Whitecaps FC. If Friend, Peters, Fresenga, and Thomas all stick and Fisk signs, will have 8 CMNT eligible players. 9 if Evan James somehow makes it. That would put us with the highest Canadian content in MLS. We'll probably come in at 6, which would be one less than TFC and probably 2-3 more than Montreal.

My sense is that the "average Canadian fan" must have a higher respect for Canadian footballers than you think, or the Whitecaps wouldn't be under any pressure to bring in a bunch of Canadian trialists. Unless the CSA is about to quietly jack-up the the Canadian quota, I can't think of any other reason that the club would be so proactive about bringing in more "local" talent. Still, I think you're missing the irony in those supporter comments.

Tweeted by the Caps today, Martin Bonjour is training with his old club Liverpool (Montevideo) and they are exploring his options moving forward.

Maybe a loan deal is coming for Bonjour.

Defenders

Jamie Peters - Trialist

Andres Fresenga - Trialist *away on int duty with Canada

Adam Clement - Supplemental DraftPick

Brad Rusin

Jay DeMerit

Andy O'Brien

Carlyle Mitchell

Jordan Harvey

Alain Rochat

Greg Klazura

Martin Bonjour - away training with former club

Caps sign 3 more:

Paulo Jr. – Whitecaps FC midfielder/striker

Selected by Whitecaps FC with the 10th pick in Stage 2 of the 2012 MLS Re-Entry Draft on December 14, 2012

Scored seven goals and registered seven assists in 43 matches across all competitions for Real Salt Lake (2010-2012)

Tom Heinemann – Whitecaps FC striker

Scored three goals and added one assist in two seasons with Columbus Crew

Played part of the 2010 season under head coach Martin Rennie at Carolina RailHawks

Corey Hertzog – Whitecaps FC striker

Spent the last two seasons with the New York Red Bulls after being their first selection (13th overall) in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft

Led NCAA Division I with 20 goals scored in 2010

Defenders. While you really need to build from the back out to be successful we have a lot of options at CB & RB. That may be the Caps staff planning for the retirement of YP Lee (probably his last year), Andy O'Brien & Jay DeMerit (2 maybe 3 years more?). Get them in and take a look and know their limitations before you get desperate.

Rochat is younger at 29 and we have injury cover with Harvey so we are better off there.

RB - YP Lee, Greg Klazura, Jamie Peters, Andres Fresenga

CB - Jay DeMerit, Andy O'Brien, Martin Bonjour, Brad Rusin, Carlyle Mitchell, Adam Clement

LB - Jordan Harvey, Alain Rochat

I hope the Caps have a plan to develop Caleb Clarke somehow with all those forwards on the roster.

I would still have him at 4th in the forward list (Mattocks, Camilo/Salgado, Miller, Clarke) so he has his work cut out for him as do all the academy players and draft picks. The large forward we just signed will probably be for games against teams with large defenders. Several of our forwards play wing roles as well so we'll have to see how things go in training camp.

On the face of it a pretty mediocre signing judging solely from his stats. He is 29 and has played professionally for 9 years but has only been a starter for 2 of those years, 2008 in Japan and 2009 in Norway. The rest of his career has comprised of being a sub and bench player with very little playing time, 5 years (including the last two) in Japan and two years in Greece. Unless his previous clubs have missed something and he just needs an opportunity, he seems like a borderline MLS level player.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/daigo-kobayashi/leistungsdaten-detail/spieler_63754.html

Archived