Whitecaps FC changes for 2013

tmcmurph

@Lord Bob - I am thinking of one or two of last season's lads. Not to mention Ben Fisk.

Declan Rodriguez was the only Residency right back we lost, and while I thought he was an interesting player I'm not going to pretend he's ready for MLS starts either (in fact, I think Duncan is ahead of him).

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No I came to that conclusion on the games I have seen him play and by judging his technical ability in combination with his age. Let me guess....now you want my CV?

Again....do you folks have the word "likely" blacked-out on your screen??? Always room for exceptions. If he proves strong this year....then great!

Why post strong opinions if you are then going to hide behind the use of the word likely? And unless you are watching the Caps reserve games, which I have never heard you mention, then you are judging Klazura on a maximum of two games since he only played twice for the Caps senior team. That is a pretty small number of games to judge someone as terrible. Nor did I hear of any negative reviews of his play in either of these games, both convincing Caps victories. LB does watch reserve games and seems to think he is promising and apparently the Caps staff must think likewise since they kept him on the team while cutting other players despite your amazement at this (Side note - they KEPT Greg Klazura!? Are you kidding me....). I doubt anyone expects Klazura to be the main backup to Lee next year but pretty much everyone else stated they did not see enough of him to judge his ability. So no I do not want to see your CV, but I would like to know exactly what you are basing your opinion on that he is terrible and too old to improve. Or is this yet another case of you just stating some random opinion based on no evidence or knowledge?

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2012/FresengareadyforWhitecapsopportunity.aspx

A 23 year old who has been developing in Uruguay for 6 years. Get him some teaching from YP Lee and we could have a RB. To make it all that more sweet he is a proud canuck and loves to play for Canada.

"Andres Fresenga, who impressed greatly with his play with Canada’s U-23 Olympic Qualifying Team last March, will join Vancouver on trial early in the new year. "

I seriously have no recollection of this kid during our olympic qualifying...

All I remember is that we had a couple different guys play at RB including Stinson. Did Fresenga solidfy that position throughout the tourney?

Unused substitute against El Salvador, 68 minutes against the United States, unused substitute against Cuba, 67 minutes against Mexico.

That pattern looks promising. He must've done really well against the States and Tony probably didn't see the need for him against Cuba considering the next match was more important.

That pattern looks promising. He must've done really well against the States and Tony probably didn't see the need for him against Cuba considering the next match was more important.

It does. I only sort of half-remember his performances; I think I have a few of the games on my hard drive so I might re-watch when I get home. But I do recall that we generally had good defensive wide play that tournament and Fresenga would have been a part of that.

It does. I only sort of half-remember his performances; I think I have a few of the games on my hard drive so I might re-watch when I get home. But I do recall that we generally had good defensive wide play that tournament and Fresenga would have been a part of that.

Yeah, that is true about the wide play. For what it's worth, I think the majority of players that were on that team are MLS capable.

• 4 weeks later...

Whitcaps announced today they have signed American CB Brad Rusin from Denmark's HB Koge.

He is also an Ex-Railhawk, where he was coached by Rennie.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/01/whitecaps-fc-add-experienced-centre-back-brad-rusin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Rusin

Rusin has played a lot of soccer over the past few years. In a season and half with Koge the 6'4'' CB played 40 games helping them earn promotion to the Superliga and prior to that 54 matches with Carolina under Rennie. In 2011, he also wore the Captain's Armband for Carolina.

Seems to be a solid pick up at 26yrs and standing 6'4''; he will provide some more stability and competition for DeMerit, O'Brien, and Bonjour.

Whitcaps announced today they have signed American CB Brad Rusin from Denmark's HB Koge.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/01/whitecaps-fc-add-experienced-centre-back-brad-rusin

Rusin has played a lot of soccer over the past few years. In a season and half with Koge the 6'4'' CB played 40 games helping them earn promotion to the Superliga and prior to that 54 matches with Carolina under Rennie. In 2011, he also wore the Captain's Armband for Carolina.

Seems to be a solid pick up at 26yrs and standing 6'4''; he will provide some more stability and competition for DeMerit, O'Brien, and Bonjour.

Rusin is a beast. Remember him from his NASL days, and he was dominant at that level. Montreal actually had his discovery rights (valid for 1 year) for the 2012 season.

Coach Rennie has got to be running out of former players to sign. Surely.

But I guess the good news, is that many current 'Caps can be sure of future employment if he moves on.

It also notes on the Wikipedia page that Rusin he was sold to the Whitecaps for an undisclosed fee.

I find it funny that the only Canadian playing pro football in Denmark is at the same club as the one where this American just came from. Nigel Marples is from Delta, BC no less.

I find it funny that the only Canadian playing pro football in Denmark is at the same club as the one where this American just came from. Nigel Marples is from Delta, BC no less.

Someone playing in Danish first div? Isn't he overqualified for a cap with CMNT? :P

Seriously, I hope Fonseca is keeping tabs on this guy

Someone playing in Danish first div? Isn't he overqualified for a cap with CMNT? :P

Seriously, I hope Fonseca is keeping tabs on this guy

Just for clarity, it's called the Danish First Division, but is the Danish second division; HB Køge was relegated last year.

Archived