Whitecaps FC changes for 2013

tmcmurph

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The interview with Rennie is funny in one regard "We can improve throughout the squad in almost every position, but maybe a bit more height and power in the forward position could help us, a little bit more creativity in midfield could be important.".

You mean like the 2 players you got rid of? Yea like them but not them. He is still hopeful for Miller to have an impact while most of us have already resigned ourselves to the fact that he is just too old, slow and not worth it.

On a better note it appears that YP Lee will be back but will skip a lot of long road trips. He is great but at his age needs time to heal up and didn't get enough rest last year.

I don't get the hate for Klazura. I think he's fine! Not as good as Lee, of course, and raw enough to need work, but hardly worth condemning to the Island of Misfit Fullbacks.

I don't hate the guy, I just haven't seen enough of him to really rate him.

So my confidence level on him is skeptical considering that Lee could miss extended stretches of important road games.

Klazura is terrible and the Whitecaps are far better off signing an academy prospect at that position. Far more upside. Klazura is 23 or 24..he won't be getting much better at all - likely. Whereas an 18 year old .....

Well that's the most ignorant statement ever.

Players can't get better once they turn 23-24, ridiculous, ever heard of Wondolowski? Guy was what 25/26 and had 4 goals over about 40 games in the MLS. At 23 I believe he was in the 4th tier of North American Soccer

3/4 years later he's put nearly 70 in the net over his last 100 games.

Late bloomers do exist. I'm not saying Klazura is gonna come out and wow everyone, but there is no reason that he cannot get better with playing time and confidence from his club. (in a sense that's all it took Wondo to flourish.)

Well that's the most ignorant statement ever.

Players can't get better once they turn 23-24, ridiculous, ever heard of Wondolowski? Guy was what 25/26 and had 4 goals over about 40 games in the MLS. At 23 I believe he was in the 4th tier of North American Soccer

3/4 years later he's put nearly 70 in the net over his last 100 games.

Late bloomers do exist. I'm not saying Klazura is gonna come out and wow everyone, but there is no reason that he cannot get better with playing time and confidence from his club. (in a sense that's all it took Wondo to flourish.)

Yes, if there is talent there to begin with players can often improve a lot at this age. Jeb Brovsky made an unbelievable improvement over the course of the year with Montreal. He went from a guy no one (including myself) could understand what Marsch saw in him to take him in the expansion draft, to a guy who was as bad as advertised in his early games with Montreal, to a solid MLS defender in the course of a season. I haven't seen much of Klazura so I can't comment on him in particular but if he has the ability already to be a good player some experience at this age can still allow a player to improve a lot.

Players are certainly unlikely to improve physically at age 23/24, and even technically they're at a disadvantage, but when they've had their development stunted by playing NCAA there's still a chance for them to learn the mental side of the game. That's the only place I think Klazura really needs work to become a useful MLS journeyman.

What's ignorant to me Kottonmouth is you are going to use an extreme example to make your case. I also said "likely" ... or did you selectively not read that word. Or do you need it defined for you?

If the Whitecaps have faith in Klazura then I hope he proves me wrong.

But are you guys really interested in developing a 23-24 year old American player who doubtfully will get much better rather than a u18 signing from the Academy who will definitely get better???

What's ignorant to me Kottonmouth is you are going to use an extreme example to make your case. I also said "likely" ... or did you selectively not read that word. Or do you need it defined for you?

But are you guys really interested in developing a 23-24 year old American player who doubtfully will get much better rather than a u18 signing from the Academy who will definitely get better???

I don't think the Whitecaps have any USSDA right backs who could spell Lee right now. I mean, Quinton Duncan might get there (might) but he's 17 and just going through his first year of U-18 soccer; you're gonna throw him into an MLS game?

Where can the Caps improve next year? Obviously they need a striker up front to actually help Mattocks (not Miller). They need a midfield creater to pull the strings(is Robson that player?). If Omar Salgado comes back in good forum next year, and Teibert breaks through as well all hope, the will be very exciting. Caps need a bit of depth at the fullback position too.

"

Your quote was

"Klazura is terrible and the Whitecaps are far better off signing an academy prospect at that position. Far more upside. Klazura is 23 or 24..he won't be getting much better at all - likely. Whereas an 18 year old ....."

In my mind your putting way to much into youth, yeah an 18 year old will probably have more upside (5 years from now), but can an 18 year old really spell Lee for extended amount of games on crucial road trips, I think not. Klazura is no sure thing by any call, and I'd love to bring in some cover for him, but another unproven raw youth is not the kind of player who can cover for him and Lee. You need a veteran like a Freeman.

My example is valid, you can call it extreme case today, but he was drafted 41st overall, and if 5 years ago someone said Wondo would be the all time single season goal leader in the MLS they would of been laughed out of the forum. He is not the only example either.

You don't have to look much farther past Wondo to see his strike partners Gordon and Lenhart as two other late bloomers.

"Wondolowski was taken deep in the MLS Supplemental Draft and started 11 games his first five years in the league, Lenhart was a lightly recruited player who went to then-NAIA school Azuza Pacific, and Gordon didn't make an MLS roster straight out of college."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mls/quakes/2012/10/30/san-jose-earthquakes-reputation-physical-play/1669047/

Other cases could include: Chris Pontius, Anton Peterlin, and Maurice Edu (all were nobodies till there early 20's)

So as I've said, my confidence in Klazura is low, but only because I haven't seen him play a lot and really no one has, because he hasn't been given the opportunity yet. At 23 he is still as about as raw as can be, but by no means is replacing him with another untested and even younger player gonna boost my confidence in our Fullbacks. I would much rather just keep Klazura, let the 18 year old's start and play in the Academy, and add a veteran FB to help spell Lee and Harvey with Klazura.

Rushing 18 year old's to the MLS roster so they can rot away on the bench is mind boggling, I would much rather Klazura at 23 sit on our bench and toil away rather than a young Canadian prospect.

I'll be happy with promoting just Fisk, and having Alderson, Clarke and Tiebert on the MLS roster. Even those 4 might have a hard time finding consistent playing time in the XVIII, besides Tiebert.

@Kotton - that was a huge response and yet you still ignore the use of the word "likely." MLS-rostered players can play PDL, reserves etc. So they won't be rotting. Unless you are saying Alderson, Clarke, and Teibert were also wasteful signings?

@Kotton - that was a huge response and yet you still ignore the use of the word "likely." MLS-rostered players can play PDL, reserves etc. So they won't be rotting. Unless you are saying Alderson, Clarke, and Teibert were also wasteful signings?

No, but they might of been better served playing more regularly at a lower level, and the whole point is to have a guy can spell Lee not play PDL and reserve games. How does that help us on the road trips that Lee doesn't come on. A veteran or Klazura are more apporpirate for that role than an 18 year old.

and I get that you said likely, doesn't retract from the fact an 18 year old doesn't help our FB situation unless you mean cut Klazura sign an academy kid and a veteran to backup Lee. If that is so then is that not just a lateral movement. Academy guys can play in the reserves so if they just are taking Kalzura's spot and not playing why not just keep Klazura and the Academy product where he is. Essentially they will end up playing in the same games and we can have both.

Your way seems to mean we lose Klazura for no reason other than he might not be a long term piece to the puzzle?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note the Province reported Davide is in Vancouver negotiating a possible return to the 'Caps likely as a DP.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Return+Whitecaps+favourite+Davide+Chiumiento+distinct+possibility/7705786/story.html

How different would the 2nd half of the season been if we would of kept him: upsetting to think about.

Yes, fine, I agree. An 18 year old, unless very good, shouldn't be relied-on to spell Lee off. But Klazura also shouldn't be relied-on. Not at all.

....Chiumiento? YES PLEASE!

I agree that we shouldn't be banking on Klazura to take on those games either. I think that's a large risk. Mitchell has played RB before, but Rennie didn't seem very confident in him either. I hope some insurance is added at the FB spot.

Defenders at the moment

RB

YP Lee

Klazura

CB

Andy O'Brien

Martin Bonjour

Jay DeMerit

Carlyle Mitchell

LB

Alain Rochat

Jordan Harvey

Klazura is terrible and the Whitecaps are far better off signing an academy prospect at that position. Far more upside. Klazura is 23 or 24..he won't be getting much better at all - likely. Whereas an 18 year old .....

So you came to this conclusion based on the two Canadian Championship games he played in this year?

No I came to that conclusion on the games I have seen him play and by judging his technical ability in combination with his age. Let me guess....now you want my CV?

Again....do you folks have the word "likely" blacked-out on your screen??? Always room for exceptions. If he proves strong this year....then great!

Archived