Whitecaps FC changes for 2013

tmcmurph

Stabaek won the league the year he was there. His stats were pretty impressive at a comparable level to MLS. If we were getting the Kobayshi of 2009, I would argue a little more, but DK in 2013 has been slowed by some major injuries which have limited his time in the J-League.

I'm not sure this is a bad thing for Voyageurs though. My personal belief is that Russell Teibert should be playing as a #10. If we continue play Rennie's 4-3-3, I suspect Teibert will have significantly more opportunity to play centrally unless there are more signings to come that we don't know about. Fisk (or Ben 10, as he's known here) may also benefit for Kobayshi's fragile history. There's really nobody else to play this role other than maybe Kenny Miller or possibly Jacob Lensky.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So given Marc Weber's (from the Province) recent tweets it seems there is a very good chance Chiumiento will be returning

Marc Weber ‏@ProvinceWeber

Rennie says Caps are not necessarily done adding creativity in midfield. Read into that what you will.

Marc Weber ‏@ProvinceWeber

I'm not saying Davide will get done. A long way from that. But, from what I know, it wasn't an either/or Kobayashi/Davide situation.

Johnny Leveron joining the Caps. Apparently coming out of news reports in Honduras. Got this info from twitter

Saw that one earlier as well. No confirmation yet that he is in Arizona. 22 with 19 call ups for Honduras and scores fairly regularly at all levels he plays at. Plays defender or midfielder.

Nice little flurry of moves to really address depth and creativity.

Mattocks put in 3 in first 15 minutes against NE today in pre-season, game might still be going.

Looks like Peters and Lee got the starts at fullback with Lee out Left.

If Leveron and Davide get confirmed; things will look up for the 'Caps.

Who is this Crispin Orlando? He played 30 min in the game last night. Wikipedia has him already signed to the caps on a 6 month contract and he's a Kenyan National Team Member.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crispin_Olando

Also playing on invite last night was 23 year old defender last with the NASL's Silverbacks Alberto 'Beto' Navarro, and 26 year old striker last with newly relegated Norwegian club Nybergsund Joesph Laipra who is capped by the Republic of Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Navarro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Lapira

"26 year old striker last with newly relegated Norwegian club Nybergsund Joesph Laipra who is capped by the Republic of Ireland."

When he came out of college he was rated in the top 5 for the MLS draft, but nobody touched him until TFC took a gamble in the 3rd round, as he had already committed to going to Europe.

"26 year old striker last with newly relegated Norwegian club Nybergsund Joesph Laipra who is capped by the Republic of Ireland."

When he came out of college he was rated in the top 5 for the MLS draft, but nobody touched him until TFC took a gamble in the 3rd round, as he had already committed to going to Europe.

He's got one cap for Ireland. And he's from Rochester New York.

3 more Canadians on trial with the Caps.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/01/canadians-trial

" They may be good enough to be on the Canadian national team, but will they be good enough to earn a contract in MLS?

Following Canada’s first training camp of 2013, which concluded with Tuesday's 0-0 draw with the United States, Andres Fresenga, Evan James and Simon Thomas have joined Vancouver Whitecaps FC on trial in Arizona. Whitecaps FC on Wednesday confirmed that all three players have arrived and will train with the squad in Casa Grande. "

Interesting turn of events. Fresenga and James are at positions that will have players retired over the next year or two. Peters and Fresenga both play the same position.

3 more Canadians on trial with the Caps.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/01/canadians-trial

" They may be good enough to be on the Canadian national team, but will they be good enough to earn a contract in MLS?

Following Canada’s first training camp of 2013, which concluded with Tuesday's 0-0 draw with the United States, Andres Fresenga, Evan James and Simon Thomas have joined Vancouver Whitecaps FC on trial in Arizona. Whitecaps FC on Wednesday confirmed that all three players have arrived and will train with the squad in Casa Grande. "

Interesting turn of events. Fresenga and James are at positions that will have players retired over the next year or two. Peters and Fresenga both play the same position.

When asked about his MLS trial after Tuesday’s game, Thomas instead chose to focus on his national team performance.

“I’m just over the moon with it,” he told reporters. "I’ll sort out my club very soon and I’m looking forward to getting some first-team football on a regular basis.”

Guess he is hoping for another club so that he can start.

Can't blame him. I'm glad he has a team to train with and stay sharp while waiting for a tryout. I could see the Caps releasing Cannon and keeping Thomas due to salary. I don't see him sticking around as a 3rd keeper. It is good that he is ambitious even if it works against the hope for him playing in a Caps uniform.

Caps played a very experimental side versus local side Arizona Sahuaros, winning 1-0 on a goal by Paolo Jr,:

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

39.Simon Thomas; 33. Andres Fresenga (31.Russell Teibert 45'), 38. Beto Navarro, 45. Adam Clement, 32. Greg Klazura; 25. Jaime Peters, 35. Crispin Olando, 43. Jacob Lensky, 41. Evan James, 37. Joseph Lapira (22.Paulo Jr. 23'), 34. Caleb Clarke

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/02/wfc-defeat-arizona

Lots of Canadians!

^ Wow ... tons of Cancon ... here's to hoping a bunch of them stick and get minutes.

Any news on how Peters is working out?

I don't know as there hasn't been much from the staff but in the one game I saw streamed he didn't look bad but didn't look good either. Seemed to know what to do but had trouble executing. Could be rust. I didn't realize it before but the guy is built like a pointyball running back.

Thomas made some key saves last night and acquitted himself well.

Expect a bunch of cuts once they are back in Vancouver.

I don't know as there hasn't been much from the staff but in the one game I saw streamed he didn't look bad but didn't look good either. Seemed to know what to do but had trouble executing. Could be rust. I didn't realize it before but the guy is built like a pointyball running back.

Thomas made some key saves last night and acquitted himself well.

Expect a bunch of cuts once they are back in Vancouver.

Thanks muchly.

Crossing my fingers for Peters, although given his (slightly) advanced years, esp in relation to some of the other trialists it might make more sense to keep a younger player. Still, it would be nice if he could land on his feet and do well in Vancouver.

The good news for Peters is that Rennie seems to have moved Rochat to CM with Gersh in a 4-2-3-1 and put YP Lee in at LB. This leaves the RB position open with a few young players trying for it. If that is the lineup we go with then I can see Peters getting signed. If YP Lee is moved back to RB we all know everyone else is waiting their turn.

Who has first claim at Bedoya if he opts to sign in the MLS? Could he be in the works for the 'Caps would look nice behind Mattocks and Camilo/Miller.

His brother happens to be in our camp after being selected in the Supplemental draft I believe.

TFC is #1 in allocation ranking. Though by the sounds of it Bedoya is looking for a contract in Europe

Archived