17. Camilo (BRA)

18. Gershon Koffie (GHA)

19. Andy O'Brien (IRL)

20. Darren Mattocks (JAM)

21. Lee Young-Pyo (KOR)

22. Kenny Miller (SCO) - DP

23. Barry Robson (SCO) - DP

24. Carlyle Mitchell (TRI)

It's definately time for Harris to go (constantly injured/ineffective). I personally think Robson and Miller are crap, but are unlikely to be moved.

Yeah, Harris should be on his way out. As for the DP's I still think Robson can be utilized he isn't on a staggering contract like Miller and showed streaks of brilliance with his left foot at times. He just lacks the pace and creativity to be the lone AM up front. Miller I think has just played his way out of the lineup he is invisible when off the ball, and ineffective when on the ball. Miller needs to go, Robson may deserve another look.

Either way, the Forward and Attacking Mid spots are in for a overhaul I believe. The back 4, keeper and defensive mid are tied up nicely at the moment.

Many have suggested Koffie deserves a chance to go forward more, I think he needs more composure in the attacking half to considered for this spot. He loves to drive it from distance wasting possession instead of holding it up and using his vision to find someone like he does in the defensive half. Koffie has been improving on that gradually. Next year might be the time he breaks out as a consistent offensive weapon as well as a shutdown midfielder.

For me, the following get removed.

Harris, Cannon, Klazura, Nanchoff, Thorrington, O'Brien OR Demerit, Miller, Robson, Mitchell.

I believe an easy choice to upgrade the team is signing Jaime Peters as back-up winger/full back. As for the other positions....someone under the age of 30 would be nice, for starters.

Current Roster

1. Bryce Alderson (CAN)

2. Caleb Clarke (CAN)

3. Russel Tiebert (CAN)

4. Matt Watson (ENG/USA)

5. Jun Marques Davidson (JPN/USA)

6. Atiba Harris (SKN/USA)

7. Alain Rochat (SUI/CAN)

8. Joe Cannon (USA)

9. Jay DeMerit (USA) - C

10. Jordan Harvey (USA)

11. Greg Klazura (USA)

12. Brad Knighton (USA)

13. Michael Nanchoff (USA)

14. Omar Salgado (USA)

15. John Thorrington (USA)

16. Martin Bonjour (ARG)

17. Camilo (BRA)

18. Gershon Koffie (GHA)

19. Andy O'Brien (IRL)

20. Darren Mattocks (JAM)

21. Lee Young-Pyo (KOR)

22. Kenny Miller (SCO) - DP

23. Barry Robson (SCO) - DP

24. Carlyle Mitchell (TRI)

For me, the following get removed.

Harris, Cannon, Klazura, Nanchoff, Thorrington, O'Brien OR Demerit, Miller, Robson, Mitchell.

I believe an easy choice to upgrade the team is signing Jaime Peters as back-up winger/full back. As for the other positions....someone under the age of 30 would be nice, for starters.

The bold players are a bit surprising to me that you'd cut, for one Nano and Mitchell are still really young cheap and have room to improve into MLS regulars even if only from the bench or as depth.

As for OB and DeMerit, they were the one thing near the end of the season that was actually working. DeMerit had his best season in years, and OB fit in seamlessly which can be hard to find in overseas pickups. I understand the rumors about dropping one of the 3 CB's making over 300k. I'd say OB should stay and so should Bonjour. DeMerit could be traded to a US team as he probably won't replicate last years performance and could bring in a few quality MLS vets that will be needed in Vancouver.

Trade him DeMerit and our top 1st round pick for Jakovic, De Ro and DC's first, lol

As for the DP's I still think Robson can be utilized he isn't on a staggering contract like Miller and showed streaks of brilliance with his left foot at times. He just lacks the pace and creativity to be the lone AM up front. Miller I think has just played his way out of the lineup he is invisible when off the ball, and ineffective when on the ball. Miller needs to go, Robson may deserve another look.

Does it really matter how much a DP makes, since his cap hit is same regardless at 350k?

Greedy aren't we? I like that but to be honest I'd settle for Jakovic. He is young (27) and if we could snag Andre from Houston we'd be set for a while at CB.

Yeah, Andre would be sweet, maybe Houston would be open to a DeMerit Hainault swap. I think Jako's price would be quite lower though.

I wonder if Rennie will look to the USL, for some more depth. JMD, Knighton and Watson all were pleasant surprises.

:) lol. Ya....haha, as if there was much difference! :)

There are definitely useful players in NASL - we always discuss FCE and guys like Saiko who are strong. But keep in mind they finished well out of it last year - which tells me other teams have some useful pieces as well. I hate this "won't pay transfer fee" nonsense.

haha, FWIW, I use NASL teams for loan deals with my Whitecaps Football Manager 2013 game - and it helps them immensely! :)

Yeah, Andre would be sweet, maybe Houston would be open to a DeMerit Hainault swap. I think Jako's price would be quite lower though.

I wonder if Rennie will look to the USL, for some more depth. JMD, Knighton and Watson all were pleasant surprises.

why would kinnear do a straight swap? DeMerit is older and has bigger salary than Hainault, who is about same in terms of quality. even thouh Hainault is out of favour for Jermaine Taylor right now, Hainault is perfect first off the bench player for Kinnear who can also use him on fullback if needed. add in a decent allocation to the deal and maybe Kinnear will bite.

why would kinnear do a straight swap? DeMerit is older and has bigger salary than Hainault, who is about same in terms of quality. even thouh Hainault is out of favour for Jermaine Taylor right now, Hainault is perfect first off the bench player for Kinnear who can also use him on fullback if needed. add in a decent allocation to the deal and maybe Kinnear will bite.

Yeah, the nuances of allocation and what not. I still haven't fully grasp. I wouldn be willing to add more to the deal for sure. Though you never know with DeMerit's play last year. MLS coaches might be a lot more interested in him.

Yeah, the nuances of allocation and what not. I still haven't fully grasp. I wouldn be willing to add more to the deal for sure. Though you never know with DeMerit's play last year. MLS coaches might be a lot more interested in him.

Not at 300k cap hit... If Vancouver was to eat some of DeMerit's salary, maybe. And at 33 come next spring, he's at the age where his legs slow down a lot. Not a player that a team will build around anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Harris is gone

Traded to Colorado for INT spot

As well as Nanchoff and Thorrington's contract options were declined

Caps have right of refusal on Nano but Thorrington will enter the Re-Entry draft

though Knighton, Harvey, Kazura, Lee, Mitchell, Koffie, Davidson, and Watson contract options were exercised.

Whitecaps FC current 2013 roster:

Goalkeepers (2): Joe Cannon, Brad Knighton

Defenders (8): Martin Bonjour, Jay DeMerit, Jordan Harvey, Greg Klazura, Young-Pyo Lee, Carlyle Mitchell, Andy O’Brien, Alain Rochat

Midfielders (6): Bryce Alderson, Jun Marques Davidson, Gershon Koffie, Barry Robson, Russell Teibert, Matt Watson

Strikers (5): Caleb Clarke, Darren Mattocks, Kenny Miller, Omar Salgado, Camilo Sanvezzo

Harris traded for an international spot? Fair enough, but he'll be replaced by an international ... not a Canadian. Y'know, such as Will Johnson.

Side note - they KEPT Greg Klazura!? Are you kidding me....

lol Johnson is still more Canadian than Rochat though...at least in terms of actual allegiance

Whatever, cross my fingers that this is the breakout year for Teibert!

I didn't think Klazura was so bad in Reserves matches. I'm glad to see him get a chance.

Given that Harris was useless, trading him for any asset was a smart move. They can either use the international slot to sign an international player or trade it to another team.

Archived