Gold Cup 2013 - USA Again

Sam

I know the 2013 Gold Cup seems to be something in the distant future with World Cup Qualifying on right now, and this may have already been posted and I just missed it, but CONCACAF seems to have confirmed that the US will host the Gold Cup yet again in 2013. I really think putting a group in Canada would make sense (plus it would give the CSA the chance to move the National Team around the country), but it seems like we aren't going to see this happen.

Here's the link from March confirming that the 2013 Gold Cup will be hosted by the US.

http://www.concacaf.com/page/GoldCup/NewsDetail/0,,12813~2657806,00.html

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know the 2013 Gold Cup seems to be something in the distant future with World Cup Qualifying on right now, and this may have already been posted and I just missed it, but CONCACAF seems to have confirmed that the US will host the Gold Cup yet again in 2013. I really think putting a group in Canada would make sense (plus it would give the CSA the chance to move the National Team around the country), but it seems like we aren't going to see this happen.

Here's the link from March confirming that the 2013 Gold Cup will be hosted by the US.

http://www.concacaf.com/page/GoldCup/NewsDetail/0,,12813~2657806,00.html

It will be in the U.S forever.

CONCACAF GOLD CUP - Host Country

1991 USA

1993 USA/Mexico Co-Hosts

1996 USA

1998 USA

2000 USA

2002 USA

2003 USA/Mexico Co-Hosts

2005 USA

2007 USA

2009 USA

2011 USA

2013 USA

So basically 11 Gold Cups ALL on US Soil Except 2 which Mexico Co-Hosted.........CONCACAF Equality? Sponsors? TV Network Deals? Yup plays all in US favor

2015 I believe the CSA can have a hard case if they really want it. ALL Gold Cup in Canada not just 1group. We will also have the Women's World Cup so that might play against us......2017 maybe....

Anyway we Have the Venues no excuses there. 3-4Groups they could play at 3-4venues. But we can always use same venues as the Women's World Cup in 2015. Canada Would be able to have Sponsors(Visa, HomeDepot, etc) same time zones as USA.

Not sure if there is an "actual" vote happening but maybe Canada could lobby some countries and push their candidatures in a later scenario. And maybe 2central american countires can Co-Host the Gold Cup is needed(or 3)

1991 USA

1993 USA/Mexico Co-Hosts

1996 USA

1998 USA

2000 USA

2002 USA

2003 USA/Mexico Co-Hosts

2005 USA

2007 USA

2009 USA

2011 USA

2013 USA

So basically 11 Gold Cups ALL on US Soil Except 2 which Mexico Co-Hosted.........CONCACAF Equality? Sponsors? TV Network Deals? Yup plays all in US favor

2015 I believe the CSA can have a hard case if they really want it. ALL Gold Cup in Canada not just 1group. We will also have the Women's World Cup so that might play against us......2017 maybe....

Anyway we Have the Venues no excuses there. 3-4Groups they could play at 3-4venues. But we can always use same venues as the Women's World Cup in 2015. Canada Would be able to have Sponsors(Visa, HomeDepot, etc) same time zones as USA.

Not sure if there is an "actual" vote happening but maybe Canada could lobby some countries and push their candidatures in a later scenario. And maybe 2central american countires can Co-Host the Gold Cup is needed(or 3)

There's no real chance of Canada or any other country hosting the GC until 2023 (IIRC), I think that's when CONCACAF's deal with SUM runs out.

1991 USA

1993 USA/Mexico Co-Hosts

1996 USA

1998 USA

2000 USA

2002 USA

2003 USA/Mexico Co-Hosts

2005 USA

2007 USA

2009 USA

2011 USA

2013 USA

So does anyone still believe that Jack Warner and Trinidad were really the force of corruption in CONCACAF? Corrupt yes but the only the figurehead of corruption placed there to take the heat in case the real corrupt forces in CONCACAF were threatened to be exposed.

So does anyone still believe that Jack Warner and Trinidad were really the force of corruption in CONCACAF? Corrupt yes but the only the figurehead of corruption placed there to take the heat in case the real corrupt forces in CONCACAF were threatened to be exposed.

Up 'til now, I've never really had a problem with Gold Cup hosted by the US every year. I've always hoped we would eventually host or co-host but my thinking has been that having the tournament in the US doesn't put Canada at nearly the same disadvantage as other CONCACAF nations (Mexico, Honduras, etc) might in terms of travel, playing conditions, etc. And having the tourney in the US assures that most CONCACAF nations can draw on their expat communities in the US.

But then you've got me thinking, what other confederation NEVER moves their tournament? The answer of course is none. Now that I think about it, it's totally ridiculous. Your point is well taken.

a) Games are meaningless, no Confed Cup birth to the winner.

B) Why risk injury.

c) Good chance to see and cap new young players who aren't quite ready for WCQ.

I don't really like this attitude that the "off-year" Gold Cup doesn't mean anything since there is not Confed Cup birth up for grabs. The reason I want to win the Gold Cup is to be confederation champions, not to qualify for some tournament that no one else in the world cares about. Plus Canada gets so few meaningful games that all Gold Cup games should mean something.

If we have a good Gold Cup run, I really could care less what year it comes in.

Up 'til now, I've never really had a problem with Gold Cup hosted by the US every year.

But then you've got me thinking, what other confederation NEVER moves their tournament? The answer of course is none.

But other than maybe Mexico who else could host it? Certainly not Canada.

So that leaves nobody else. Every other federation is too small and/or too poor.

Of course the answer might be to split the hosting duties (which is what I someday hope for) but that still means some one has to take the risk of financing such a scheme and I don't think it'll be any American outfit any time soon.

And the friendlies the players want to play are different how?

A friendly once every month or so is far less commitment than an International tournament. If we are 5 games deep into the Hex and not with 5 losses I doubt you'll see the A squad in this tournament. I think regardless we should go B squad, I'd love to see some young guys get some experience for bigger events (WCQ and Gold Cup /w Confed Cup on the line).

If we're in the Hex we send the B Squad. Full stop. You can't risk injuring any of the "A" players. Maybe you send the "A" team reserve/subs but definitely none of the "top 13-14" players in the CMNT. World Cup>Gold Cup. Qualifying for the World Cup is everything and winning the GC would mean little to nothing in comparison.

And yes, getting some valuable experience for the u23 guys, and some of the u20's as well as fringe senior players (and maybe loads of time for a guy like Pietta, JdC, Aleman etc etc, the young MLS guys) would be crucial for FUTURE world cups.

If we're in the Hex we send the B Squad. Full stop. You can't risk injuring any of the "A" players. Maybe you send the "A" team reserve/subs but definitely none of the "top 13-14" players in the CMNT. World Cup>Gold Cup. Qualifying for the World Cup is everything and winning the GC would mean little to nothing in comparison.

And yes, getting some valuable experience for the u23 guys, and some of the u20's as well as fringe senior players (and maybe loads of time for a guy like Pietta, JdC, Aleman etc etc, the young MLS guys) would be crucial for FUTURE world cups.

IIRC, that seems to be modus operandi of the nations competing in the hex. In 2009, the US had a Gold Cup B squad as they were competing in the Confed Cup as well. Can't see Mexico sending a first choice team with both the Confed Cup and WCQ on their plate. The Gold Cup the year after the World Cup is the "real one". The one during WCQ will always play 2nd fiddle.

Unless we do not make the Hex, a totally useless bs exercise and unnecessary distraction. Poor meaningless tournament with bad and corrupt refs and horrible administration, send a total B squad, maybe good practice for the U20's for the upcoming 2013 qualifying .

Lack of financial return is never an excuse for not rotating continental championships.

I'm 100% behind playing a B squad of young up and comers and maybe fringe A squad guys. That's the experience gap that has been missing from our program for forever.

It seems like because we only get limited chances to play we always try to send out our top team for the sake of 'getting to know each other better'. While that's fine for short term, it hinders the long term goal by not seeing the young guys play and trying to 'earn' their place on the team.

We just don't get enough opportunities to see if one these young guys from say the under 23's can really step it up on the international stage at a young age. Can we honestly see anyone from the under 23's replace one of the starting 11 at the moment, no, cause they rarely get the chance (baring a few minutes to Piette).

Has Rochester ever hosted an international match?

Not a Men's one as far as I know, but it has hosted a Women's soccer international between the US and Canada in 2009.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Womens-National-Team/2009/07/Abby-Wambach-Scores-100Th-Career-Goal-In-Hometown-As-U-S-Women-Defeats-Canada-1-0.aspx

If you are skeptical, you are probably right though... 28,209 were at the US vs Canada Gold Cup game in Detroit. Sahlen's can hold like 15 000 max. Canada could conceivably play a Gold Cup game there, crowd-wise it would work as long as the US or Mexico weren't playing that night; the stadium would be big enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahlen's_Stadium

However I should have said Buffalo instead of Rochester. Where the Bill's play is more than big enough to host.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Wilson_Stadium

It would be sweet if we played the US in Buffalo in the next Gold Cup (or we we make the Hex).

Archived