3 TFC Players Arrested in Houston

nolando

As Dynamo fan James H cheekily pointed out on Twitter: “Welcome to Houston, where our police officers are faster than your soccer players.”

HA! That's funny.

Meh, whatever. Not a lot of detail in that article but I doubt that there is a lot to tell. Cops didn't like the way these out-of-towners where mouthing off at them so they hauled them off to the cooler just to show them who's boss. Let me see if I can guess how this sub-plot of the TFC Show is going to play out. I think we've all seen similar episodes once or twice before;

City of Houston will eventually drop all charges because they're simply not worth pursing. You know, limited financial resources, its sort of a cost-benefit kind of thing. Lads get read the riot act by the gaffer (behind closed doors), maybe the club uses the incident to release someone they're trying to get rid of anyway and the coppers involved get the satisfaction of still feeling empowered for jerking around some smart-asses who think they "know their rights". Down the line aside from the odd joke here or there the limited coverage this story has received in the press totally evaporates in 4...3...2...1.

One thing that does stand out about that story, in my mind at least, is the fact someone, anyone, got arrested in Texas for "public intoxication".

As Dynamo fan James H cheekily pointed out on Twitter: “Welcome to Houston, where our police officers are faster than your soccer players.”

HA! That's funny.

One thing that does stand out about that story, in my mind at least, is the fact someone, anyone, got arrested in Texas for "public intoxication".

That first one has got to hurt more than the charges! Ouch. ;)

The second one makes me wonder because you would have to be royally hosed to even get noticed. However that may explain a cop being able to catch up to a "professional" soccer player in a foot race.

Oh the good times just keep on coming for TFC this year.

I wonder if he posted bail for them because he was at the bar as well. He has a history of this as well.

And if he was, so what? It really shouldn't matter if the whole team was at the bar. Maybe they had the green light. Idiotic to get in a bar fight first of all and then second of all, it seems like they were given a chance to walk away and didn't take it. Puts everyone in a difficult spot when some athletes going to a bar three days before a game to blow off steam should be a non story. Get yourself back to the hotel in one piece and without incident. Show up to training ready to work and hopefully with some good memories made between your team-mates. Win the next ****ing game.

Jodi Silva says the three players were involved in a "large fight" outside the club about 2:30 a.m.

Officers intervened, police say, and the three players "refused to leave the location and became belligerent" with police.

Police say one player tried to flee the scene on foot, but was caught. No one else was arrested.

---------------------------

PRO Soccer Player caught by "donut" eating Cop should be the headline. Well at least we know the players need some sprint excercises.

How embarrassing for TFC. Why in god's name were 3 players from a 1-10 club doing out at 2:30am drinking on the road trip? Were they celebrating being the worst club in MLS? I just don't get how they were even allowed to be out drinking at that time when on the road. Does Mariner not have these guys on curfews when they have games coming up. Is there no discipline or any heart on TFC? Lets see some effort TFC!

All 3 players should be looking at definite consequences from MLSE/TFC mgmt, it's a black eye on the whole organization if they don't.

For example these NHL playoffs the Nashville Predators suspended there two most offensive players going into a crucial elimination game. That was just for breaking curfew and going drinking, not even getting themselves arrested and then resisting arrest like a bunch of spoiled teenagers. If I was a TFC fan I'd want there contracts torn up. Inexcusable behavior from professional athletes who are supposed to be role models and ambassadors to the game for Canadian youth.

How embarrassing for TFC. Why in god's name were 3 players from a 1-10 club doing out at 2:30am drinking on the road trip? Were they celebrating being the worst club in MLS? I just don't get how they were even allowed to be out drinking at that time when on the road. Does Mariner not have these guys on curfews when they have games coming up. Is there no discipline or any heart on TFC? Lets see some effort TFC!

All 3 players should be looking at definite consequences from MLSE/TFC mgmt, it's a black eye on the whole organization if they don't.

For example these NHL playoffs the Nashville Predators suspended there two most offensive players going into a crucial elimination game. That was just for breaking curfew and going drinking, not even getting themselves arrested and then resisting arrest like a bunch of spoiled teenagers. If I was a TFC fan I'd want there contracts torn up. Inexcusable behavior from professional athletes who are supposed to be role models and ambassadors to the game for Canadian youth.

Actually earlier in that day (father's day) one of the players fathers had passed away. I am willing to give him some slack in this situation.

A couple of thoughts on this. First, they are professional athletes, not saints. People drink, people fight, people pay the price for their actions. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. That being said, in sport, if you're a winner, all will be forgiven. If you're playing like a bunch of amateurs, people will pounce all over the smallest discretion. Your fans, your peers, your manager, your owner.

Toronto is doing fine right now against Houston, without these three. I suspect that they will be thrown under the bus, if Toronto was 10-0, they may not have even been suspended, but you can't pull that stuff when you're performing so poorly.

That is ridiculous. It was 3 days before the match and as far as I'm concerned the players can do whatever they want as long as they show up to training and work their ass off. Obviously the closer you get to the match the expectations may change, but even still the problem was not the fact that they were out it was getting into the altercation which was the issue. No question by being still at the bar at 2:30 you put yourself in a bad position. By all means go out and have some beers but get back to the hotel with no incident.

As far as the Predators players and that problem, it was the night before a playoff game. They were spotted out at 4 AM the morning of a 1:00 matinee. Huge difference, and it was dealt with harshly because of it. Despite this, many people suggested the Predators should have let them play the game they were suspended for anyway. The fact they played so horrible was the reason the players didn't get away with it. Perform at a high level and no one would care.

• 3 weeks later...

Sound familiar?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/houston-police-history-peterson-reputation-resisting-arrest-case-150712737--nfl.html

Two very similar incidents in Houston involving pro athletes within weeks. And a history. Now its Adrian Peterson.

- Same time of the night

- Charged with resisting arrest.

"...............Aside from a few traffic stops in his career (including one for failing to wear his seat belt!), Adrian Peterson is about as squeaky-clean as any high-profile athlete can be. He is universally acknowledged as a team leader, and many players cite his impressive recovery from injuries to be an inspiration.

"He's one of our biggest leaders," Vikings second-year quarterback Christian Ponder told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. "Adrian is a great guy. Maybe it was one bad decision he made. Who knows?"........."..."

Archived