Canada Cuba Post game thread (R)

Free kick

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad that the WC draw turned out so favourably. This was the perfect game and opponent to start off on the road as an away match. Unlike past cycles whereby we started at at home and the pressure was on Canada right from the get go.

Was going to write "phew" but although we didn't have a lot of possession Cuba didn't really have any scoring chances. The one guy stepped on the ball and then fouled Will Johnson but that's about it.

Excellent goal from a good little build-up period. Wonderful cross and better finish.

How difficult was this game? Well, it's a very nerve-wracking game b/c it is the opening fixture. It's away in stifling heat. It's on a brutal surface. How brutal? I realized how bad it was when Occean was hurt and sitting on the grass and his hands were down to his side, and you couldn't even see his wrists because the grass was so deep. Brutal.

3 points is 3 points, clean sheet, and Atiba got a nice run out. I wasn't nervous bringing Borjan in at all, which is a nice feeling. Only nervous about being down a man. Then Cuba began making mistakes my u12's make with kicks going out of bounds, so that was nice.

My First XI v. Honduras;

GK - Milan

LB - It's apparently Jazic....whichever of he or Kluka is quicker is my preference (Morgan not ready for that type of game)

CB - McKenna

CB - Andre

RB - Edgar

MF - Hutch

MF - Johnson

MF - JDG

AM - De Ro

W - Ricketts

CF - Occean

Jackson could start ahead of Ricketts as a proper winger potentially. But Ricketts causes more trouble in the air and we need to be as dangerous as possible on set-plays.

Was going to write "phew" but although we didn't have a lot of possession Cuba didn't really have any scoring chances. The one guy stepped on the ball and then fouled Will Johnson but that's about it.

Excellent goal from a good little build-up period. Wonderful cross and better finish.

How difficult was this game? Well, it's a very nerve-wracking game b/c it is the opening fixture. It's away in stifling heat. It's on a brutal surface. How brutal? I realized how bad it was when Occean was hurt and sitting on the grass and his hands were down to his side, and you couldn't even see his wrists because the grass was so deep. Brutal.

3 points is 3 points, clean sheet, and Atiba got a nice run out. I wasn't nervous bringing Borjan in at all, which is a nice feeling. Only nervous about being down a man. Then Cuba began making mistakes my u12's make with kicks going out of bounds, so that was nice.

My First XI v. Honduras;

GK - Milan

LB - It's apparently Jazic....whichever of he or Kluka is quicker is my preference (Morgan not ready for that type of game)

CB - McKenna

CB - Andre

RB - Edgar

MF - Hutch

MF - Johnson

MF - JDG

AM - De Ro

W - Ricketts

CF - Occean

Jackson could start ahead of Ricketts as a proper winger potentially. But Ricketts causes more trouble in the air and we need to be as dangerous as possible on set-plays.

Agree with this lineup. I see no debate at LB, as it should be Jazic's based on his play. He's now carrying a yellow so Klukowski may get a chance at some point. I like Morgan but there is no way anyone can justify putting him in there now with the way this lineup has been working.

Also agree with your comments about Ricketts. With OO, Ricketts, and McKenna in the box during set plays, we should have an advantage in the air. That might be where we get our best (only?) chances against Honduras.

Jason

GK - Milan

s.

I would like someone in that role who has ability to push forward. we got a goal because of a HB coming fwd today. Jazic was ok defensively but when he had the ball today, i think that all of his passes when backwards or slightly backwards. i would love to see Morgan to be honnest.

Great hard fought win, great to start the qualifiers with a win, now if we can get 6 points from Honduras at home we will go into the summer with a great feeling of positiveness leading up to Panama at home and who knows maybe 1 or 2 of the "sorting out their club situation" fence sitters will commit and give us even more momentum heading into the final crucial games of this round.

Whoops! Wrong Thread, let's try this again.

Awesome Result. We could have scored a couple more, and saved us all some anxiety, but 3 points in the semi-final round in CONCACAF isn't exactly everyday around here. Especially on the road. Top of the group no matter what happens tonight and that's a nice feeling. Yeah we made some mental errors, first of all the loose ball played at the edge of the box before Hirschfeld's ****up. We turned a great opportunity into a red card from being weak mentally at that point. Overall though you could see there was a plan and for once it actually worked. We didn't push up the flanks like we did against the US, and for good reason. No point expending energy and finding out in the 80th minute you have nothing left. We created 3 excellent chances a few half chances, they maybe had 1 excellent chance and a couple half chances. Also, **** on Cuba all you want but I wouldn't be so sure that the other two teams in the group won't drop points in Havana. This is CONCACAF.

Nice to see Atiba get on, I have to say he made me feel much better about being down to 10. Occean was very good, especially with what he asked to do, held the ball up well when we had really dropped off to defend. Hopefully it was just a cramp and everyone is available for Tuesday. It's too bad we had so many cards, if we start racking up suspensions that will test our depth.

One point on Lars, I think the quality of the field hurt him on the play leading to the red card. On most fields, that ball is comfortably in the box, and he has to take it. I think he came out because it looked like a ball heading into the box, put the pitch slowed it down, and all of a sudden he's in trouble. Still a mental error, he could have adjusted better, and I thought we were cooked, but that's my explanation.

Archived