Canada Cuba Post game thread (R)

Free kick

Having finally watched the game I must say kudos to those who made it down there. You could see the Canada banners & flags on a lot of shots. Dero could have had 2 or 3 on a different night (hopefully Tuesday!). Played out the game nicely once we went down to 10. We had a lot of time in their end including several corner kicks so we weren't just sitting back.

On to Tuesday and another victory!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's gotta be Max Bretos, right?

That's who I'm thinking

I don't mind Gerry and Craig at all, I don't need an accent to enjoy commentary. They call it as it is, they are very fair and spot on most of the time. The negativity is there because it deserves to be there. This forum is a joke sometimes, we beat Cuba 1-0 on the road and people are starting threads about going to the Hex... come on, it's expected! If we drew or lost to them we'd be moaning about going out there's no middle ground.

The negativity is there because it deserves to be there

They might be bang on most of the time with the negativity, but it sure pulls a lot of the the fun out of a game if someone is constantly reminding you of how bad the team you are there for is. Another thing Craig is very keen on doing is pointing out that every time someone goes to ground, it must be a dive.

I don't mind Gerry and Craig at all, I don't need an accent to enjoy commentary. They call it as it is, they are very fair and spot on most of the time. The negativity is there because it deserves to be there. This forum is a joke sometimes, we beat Cuba 1-0 on the road and people are starting threads about going to the Hex... come on, it's expected! If we drew or lost to them we'd be moaning about going out there's no middle ground.
Praise Allah for this post. My only criticism is when Craig calls a result with 10 minutes to go. That's bad karma. Gerry and the Duze did it once vs Ecuador IIRC and they came back, Gerry's never repeated the behaviour (that I've noticed).

Because it almost always is!

I'm not that cynical. Yes players dive, but there are plenty of times when your in a full sprint or in someway have a precarious balance and a slight touch upsets you and you go down. That isn't a dive. When a player rolls around on the ground, alright, I'll give that to you.

That's who I'm thinking

The problem is we always **** up at the "expected" hurdles. So not ****ing up, down a man in such terrible circumstances leads to a bit of optimism, especially when you consider that Honduras lost at home to Panama.

For those who believe the, IMO absurd notion, that the "Canada announcing crew" should be negative towards our side because it deserves to be, could you provide another example where this takes place?

I can't for the life of me think of a sport team I've watched in the past 20 years where the home announcing crew isn't hopeful and positive for the side they call for.

I can't for the life of me think of a sport team I've watched in the past 20 years where the home announcing crew isn't hopeful and positive for the side they call for.
I believe the term for that is... homer. Anybody who's been following this team for longer than a week knows that this cycle of players are classic underachievers. They sometimes play well against big sides and lose and underachieve to small sides and still lose, it always seems to be the other guy in the group who scores the big upset. Just because they beat a team away that they probably should beat is no need to be anything more than cautiously optimistic. If we lose to Hondo we're back in the hole.

Almost four decades of following this team and the underachievement of players in this cycle tends to do that to you. Don't get too high or too low.

For those who believe the, IMO absurd notion, that the "Canada announcing crew" should be negative towards our side because it deserves to be, could you provide another example where this takes place?

Can I provide an example? Sure, 2007 South Africa friendly, all of 2008 WCQ, 2011 Gold Cup, 2012 Armenia friendly...

Craig and Gerry do give praise when it's justified but they're not going to sugar coat it and that's the way it should be. This isn't your local hockey team's radio channel, they are broadcasting nation wide. They can't be BLATANT homers and I wouldn't want them to be either. They are knowledgeable about the game. Imagine someone new to watching the Canadian national team who has followed European/SA footy for years watching Canada and hearing constant praise, you'd think they were bloody morons who have no business calling it. Make no mistake about it though, those two ARE homers.. they aren't against Canada.

I'm not asking for them to be homers, I'm asking for them to lay off negative comments on the side they call for. There's no reason to say "DeRo has to do better than that" because he breathed on a Cuban who dove for a call. In that example, there was nothing wrong done by DeRo....so why comment against him, as opposed to just against the dive/poor call? It wasn't the only one in the match either.

That's the whole point here. I don't get these comments when our players aren't in the wrong at all. This isn't asking for them to be homer's, this is asking for them to lay off and use common sense because in higher level matches, he MUST play the very same way and these foolish calls won't be awarded.

I'm not asking for them to be homers, I'm asking for them to lay off negative comments on the side they call for. There's no reason to say "DeRo has to do better than that" because he breathed on a Cuban who dove for a call. In that example, there was nothing wrong done by DeRo....so why comment against him, as opposed to just against the dive/poor call? It wasn't the only one in the match either.

That's the whole point here. I don't get these comments when our players aren't in the wrong at all. This isn't asking for them to be homer's, this is asking for them to lay off and use common sense because in higher level matches, he MUST play the very same way and these foolish calls won't be awarded.

I think what they mean by that is that DeRo shouldn't be giving them the opportunity to even dive for the call. I was frustrated at DeRo for the push in the back near our box, sure in MLS the guy would have rode it out but this isn't MLS and we need to be smarter because Honduras and Panama will punish us for those errors.

Gerry and Craig are not fans watching a game, they are professional announcers and should be held to a different standard. Especially when you consider that joe public thinks the Canadian national team is a joke, is that what we want to perpetuate? I'm not saying go full homer, but pick your battles, be negative at times but overall try and focus on the positive and keep in mind that a major issue in Canada is apathy towards the national team, tuning in and having the knife driven in by 2 supposed professional announcers does not help getting more people on board.

Overall I agree with most things they say, DeRo should be smarter, hes played a ****load of games in CONCACAF you can't keep complaining that people dive like crazy, all you can control is how you react to that.

We also found out why hart put edgar at rb. Top quality crosses

+1. David Edgar has been very good in the last 2 matches, and his crosses were quality. (De Jong used to offer good crosses, too.) But I'm pretty comfortable with our back four; very good mix, good communication ...

Gerry and Craig are not fans watching a game, they are professional announcers and should be held to a different standard. Especially when you consider that joe public thinks the Canadian national team is a joke, is that what we want to perpetuate? I'm not saying go full homer, but pick your battles, be negative at times but overall try and focus on the positive and keep in mind that a major issue in Canada is apathy towards the national team, tuning in and having the knife driven in by 2 supposed professional announcers does not help getting more people on board.

I have a completely different view. If Joe public thinks the team is joke then it not the role or job of the colour commentry to try and reverse that. In fact, trying to sanitize or sugar coat a poor performance when the opposite is clear and obvious to joe public is exactly how one loses credibility. And, that right there is one of my biggest pet peeves with broadcasts. And, without credibility, how do you change the minds of joe public when things do start to go good now that the public no longer believes you?

Broadcasting does not mean promotion and marketing, it means describing to the audience what is happening. The reason an analyst is hired is for their insight and thats why their background in the game is often strong. Therefore, if his or her insight (based on his or her expertise) suggest that we should be doing something differerent and or that we need to be better, then that is NOT NEGATIVITY. Rather, that is telling it like it is. And thats what I want from a broadcast. I dont want cheerleaders. I can cheer from my couch, why do i need a broadcast to do it for me?

At one point i was big baseball fan. But that died down to the point that i dont watch anymore. One of the things i dont miss is precisely that fact that the broadcaster are all pitchmen for the organization that they cover. They are always trying to sell tickets for the club to upcomming games and constantly telling us about this or that prospect down on he farm, just to keep your faith and hope, and sustain you interest. Obviously, without context or comparaison you cant judge or infer anything from a prospect until they are in the majors when you can actually compare to his peers. But, the talk of prospects is constant pitch to hook you.

Besides we know that Gerry and Craig are on our side. They want canada to win as much as we do. We are all happy with the win but there certainly things that need to be better and its just as important to hear that as it is to hear the things that we are doing well. Just like a coach would say to his team. There were times when you see a poor play and they dont mention it. Personally, in perfect world, id like to see that kind of stuff mentioned. Just like good or bad coaching decisions. Not all the players and coaches are of the same quality on the pitch, we all know that. And, not all plays are great plays, some are average, OK, good, or even poor. In my opinion, Forrest does have biases that i personally find irritating and you see it when he is covering game that dont involve our national team. But he is not bias against Canada.

Archived