Canada Cuba Post game thread (R)

Free kick

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like someone in that role who has ability to push forward. we got a goal because of a HB coming fwd today. Jazic was ok defensively but when he had the ball today, i think that all of his passes when backwards or slightly backwards. i would love to see Morgan to be honnest.

I think that was by design. Jazic got forward a ton against the US. I thought Dero and Jazic had better interplay than we've seen Simpson have with any of our Left backs recently. In fact, just going on these last two games he has really grown on me. I wasn't sold on him even being named to the camp roster initially, having not seen him play in some time. He's done a great job. Also, I think his leadership has been under-rated, listening to him speak on the videos of training, I was chastising myself for not taking his elder statesmen leadership role into account. Good to have him around.

Edit- I don't neccessarily mean the back passing and such was by design, but our outside backs were much less involved up the pitch this match, and I think it was to conserve energy and not get caught on the counter.

Not sure why people want Jackson to play ahead of Ricketts. Yes, Jackson is the superior player, but that's ignoring the role that Ricketts is playing.

Jackson is a better choice to be the super sub for OO late in games than he is to run up and down the flank crossing in balls.

Not sure why people want Jackson to play ahead of Ricketts. Yes, Jackson is the superior player, but that's ignoring the role that Ricketts is playing.

Jackson is a better choice to be the super sub for OO late in games than he is to run up and down the flank crossing in balls.

One of the problems with a game like this Is that when there is win, there is tendancy towards the status quo. Especially when you are side like canada where the fans havent experienced a lot of success of the recent years. There is definitely room for improvement and if you have better player who happens to be on the bench then if he is clearly better than the guy on the pitch then, all other things being equal, you play him. I am not saying that that is case with the Ricketts versus Jackson discussion but lets not lose sight of who we were playing.

If Hoilett or Jono suddenly commits tmrw, then you have to get them in the lineup (ok maybe not immediately) because you cant be sure that that things will go the same way as they did against Cuba against a different opponent like Honduras.

Agree 100%

I would also caution everyone to not get too crazy in assessing this match and using this result going forward. The pitch and the weather were a huge huge huge factor in this and its the only advantage the Cubans had.

Canada is a much superior team to Cuba but had to overcome a lot to win.With three misses by DeRo including a cross bar the game should have been 3-0 at the half. This game is a write off in the sense that you can't take much from it except that its a win away from home.

Cuba have no chance in this group, none.

Tres Puntos es Tres Puntos after all.

One of the problems with a game like this Is that when there is win, there is tendancy towards the status quo. Especially when you are side like canada where the fans havent experienced a lot of success of the recent years. There is definitely room for improvement and if you have better player who happens to be on the bench then if he is clearly better than the guy on the pitch then, all other things being equal, you play him. I am not saying that that is case with the Ricketts versus Jackson discussion but lets not lose sight of who we were playing.

If Hoilett or Jono suddenly commits tmrw, then you have to get them in the lineup (ok maybe not immediately) because you cant be sure that that things will go the same way as they did against Cuba against a different opponent like Honduras.

The elements played a big role and Canada will fare much better at home against anyone in our group. Even Honduras and Panama will have the same issues in Cuba Canada had today, at least thats the way I see it. Canada is a deeper and much better team than was in the last cycle. More experienced players, and a stronger home field advantage in terms of support than ever before. Status quo now is not what it was one or two cycles ago.

And by protecting their home turf and getting results away should be enough to get to the hex. I think 10-11 points in this group sees you through to the next round, no?

Agree...don't see any way Panama/Honduras don't get three there as well.

Win Tuesday and go forward

Yea, but that's the trap. Assuming we beat Cuba as home, which I think is likely, do you really see Cuba going 0-6? I bet they sneak a draw In there somewhere, I'm just glad it wasn't Canada they took points off today.

Yea, but that's the trap. Assuming we beat Cuba as home, which I think is likely, do you really see Cuba going 0-6? I bet they sneak a draw In there somewhere, I'm just glad it wasn't Canada they took points off today.

hmmm... excellent point, never thought of that. Those trends do tend to follow the Canadians around more than any other team don't they.

I agree with you there. Its a good sign that Canada was able to scrap this one out and win with ****ty reffing, terrible conditions and a hostile crowd. Says a lot actually.

+1

Cuba will get a draw in this group. It might even be against us at home if we're not careful... remember Puerto Rico?

It's a waste of his energy and talent to be playing the role currently being used by Ricketts. That's not how he plays at his club nor should it be where he's playing with our national side. Ricketts is a faster player and more suited to the role. Jackson is more dangerous and useful as a center forward and late game sub (more what he does at Norwich), and we're playing a style that feeds a large target man, so thus OO starts instead of him.

You don't just put your 11 best players on the pitch and call it a team. Why not sub out Jazic for Jackson and play him at LB then?

We're playing a 4-5-1 really, with the outside mids pushing the flanks. 1 forward. He's not a mid, so he doesn't play there. Simple.

+1

Cuba will get a draw in this group. It might even be against us at home if we're not careful... remember Puerto Rico?

+1 to you. I find it highly doubtful they finish with zero points. By winning today we have greatly helped our chances. Let's not drop points at home to them!

Was a huge win, I won't be surprised if one of Honduras or Panama get upset in Cuba by that terrible pitch.

Hopefully its the start we need to move on to the hex

Also it should be said that if Cuba has had minimal preparation then odds are they could get better as the round goes on and pride sets in.

Glad to see Canada get the job done when it counts for a change. I really thought that the red card would do us in considering how Cuba was outplaying us at the time. I don't know what Lars was thinking. I like the guy, but those kind of lapses in judgement are unacceptable. It could have really cost us. Milan looks more confortable coming out and a better ball distributor. They are both great shot stoppers. We are lucky with this win. The sooner Hart realizes who his better goalie is, the better off Canada will be.

I do like the 4-5-1 formation for this team because it can quickly turn into an attacking 4-3-3 and we have the right guys on the wings and in the center. But they need to start putting that ball in the net or there will be a lot of ties which can sometimes be as bad as a loss when 3 points are up for grabs. I think the D is looking strong because there are a lot of guy there who are starting for their teams.

Can't wait for Honduras. Go Canada

Cuba finishes with 1-2 pts for sure....3 isn't something I imagine is possible (be it a win or 3 draws). BUT, as long as they don't get a point against us in TO then we're fine in that regard. 6-7 pts @ home, 4-5 pts on the road and we're through.

Archived