Canadian Nationalization Countdown

deschamp86

It doesn't matter what the academies do. That is something the clubs are doing and a fine job too I might add. The more the merrier. We'd have some serious competition for spots and a bit of depth. This is something the CSA should be actively doing.

Nice and politely the CSA needs to talk to these players. We know you would love to play for your home country but if they don't want you and you want an international career give us a call. What would it take for you to accept a callup for us? Take care of all the paperwork for them & their families etc.

Koffie is on the radar for his country in their U20/23 teams. Good news is they are very deep at his position.

Camilo & Felipe are more than good enough for Canada but the depth in Brazil plays in our favour as neither will probably get a training session much less a call up.

Frei may stay with TFC or may go back to Europe. Either way I'd talk to him now about it. It never hurts to ask.

CSA has to naturalize-cap as many as they can. Felipe, Sanvezzo, Frei, Koffie - all of them. Build the base. A guy like Koffie would surely be in our first team if we clean house.

Koffie played in the 2011 African Youth Championship for Ghana against Gambia and Cameroon. As per FIFA rules if a player plays for the first country prior to being eligible for a second country he is ineligible to ever represent that second country.

http://www.cafonline.com/competition/can-u-20_2011/pastcomp/2011

Also, Frei played for Switzerland at the U15 level. Not sure what the circumstances were for that, but he may also not be eligible.

Edited by jpg75

Koffie played in the 2011 African Youth Championship for Ghana against Gambia and Cameroon. As per FIFA rules if a player plays for the first country prior to being eligible for a second country he is ineligible to ever represent that second country.

http://www.cafonline.com/competition/can-u-20_2011/pastcomp/2011

Also, Frei played for Switzerland at the U15 level. Not sure what the circumstances were for that, but he may also not be eligible.

If I'm not mistaken, any U-15 is not sanctioned by FIFA, therefore still making him eligible

I dissagree with people saying that naturalizing players sends a bad message to young guys. I think it is the contrary, the young guys will have to play harder and train more and also would get knowledge from players that have more quality than the average guy who developed at an academy in Canada.

For example, Cavallini plaing in Uruay will make him the next Ali Gerba, he will get used to smarter defences and will have that South American skill that North Americans lack. So making Sanvezzo or Felipe Canadians or giving them Canadian passports will help the team.

BTW, I got the resident visa in less than a year. Those guys can get it at the same time or faster. BTW, if they marry a canadian fan of the beautiful game they would get the nationality faster....I am serious, let's get your women friends and tell them to marry these guys for the good of the National Team. It is a service for the country

IF Koffie is eligible he's in our team. If he were to accept. Ghana is very deep in MF so unless he moves to a top Euro league he isn't getting a senior cap there. Frei would be eligible for Canada.

Sanvezzo and Felipe are locks for a call-up if naturalized. There are others as well, and there will be more in the future.

This isn't something I say as a result of 1-8, it's something I've said all along. Get these guys into our team, and continue to reap the benefits of MLS, not just the academies that turned-up as a result.

And yes, kids would simply know they have to work harder!

CASE STUDY:

How did the Aussies ( A nation who aspirations should be matched to be honest) get all those players of Italian and Slavic extraction to play for them? I know they have an postive aggressive attitude toward fostering a spirit of togetherness as one nation. Heck they even got Kewell not to even consider England, even those his family is english and he went to Leeds at 15 years of age. Conversley what did you do OH to turn him to the dark side?

Oh and for Camilo, he needs to apply for a permanent resident visa NOW, then he spends 3 years here: 2015 and the paperwork lasts for 21 months, so we wont have him even if we qualify to the World Cup.. I guess we forget about him =(

Edited by jc_nunezst

Oh and for Camilo, he needs to apply for a permanent resident visa NOW, then he spends 3 years here: 2015 and the paperwork lasts for 21 months, so we wont have him even if we qualify to the World Cup.. I guess we forget about him =(

Well not necessarily... There's this guy. And this guy.

But then again there's Matt Boner of the San Antonio Spurs who's been waiting for citizenship for 3 years.

I dissagree with people saying that naturalizing players sends a bad message to young guys. I think it is the contrary, the young guys will have to play harder and train more and also would get knowledge from players that have more quality than the average guy who developed at an academy in Canada.

For example, Cavallini plaing in Uruay will make him the next Ali Gerba, he will get used to smarter defences and will have that South American skill that North Americans lack. So making Sanvezzo or Felipe Canadians or giving them Canadian passports will help the team.

BTW, I got the resident visa in less than a year. Those guys can get it at the same time or faster. BTW, if they marry a canadian fan of the beautiful game they would get the nationality faster....I am serious, let's get your women friends and tell them to marry these guys for the good of the National Team. It is a service for the country

Hell, I'm already married, but those of us single dudes need to take one for the team and try to marry some of these guys. Now that is sacrifice. Unless, of course, you are one of our queer Vee brothers! Seriously!! Camillo can't be straight. (kidding. but not really)

Hell, I'm already married, but those of us single dudes need to take one for the team and try to marry some of these guys. Now that is sacrifice. Unless, of course, you are one of our queer Vee brothers! Seriously!! Camillo can't be straight. (kidding. but not really)

hahaha, after posting it i have been doing more research and read that you can't get citizenship by marriage, at least not since some years ago, so I am sorry for those who wanted to sacrifice and "bust their butts" for team.

Jokes aside, maybe it can happen, make Camilo canadian by next year!

I already create him in PES 2013!!!! haha

hahaha, after posting it i have been doing more research and read that you can't get citizenship by marriage, at least not since some years ago, so I am sorry for those who wanted to sacrifice and "bust their butts" for team.

Jokes aside, maybe it can happen, make Camilo canadian by next year!

I already create him in PES 2013!!!! haha

Camilo really isn't all that great for the team if you watch him consistently but he does look good on a highlight reel. He's extremely talented but definitely has mental flaws. I'd rather not make him Canadian and just use our own youth.

^ Yes but even if Camilo were to be capped by Canada a few times, it will push our own youth harder to get in the squad. Also, like I've said from the beginning of this thread, a little depth will never hurt.

Other than Gerba when was the last time we were calling up USL/NASL players? When Martin Nash played in the Gold Cup?

That has to be good news.

Our U23 has only a couple University players and our men's team doesn't have any second division players.

Yeah at this stage, it'd be hard to turn Camilo away if he gained his citizenship. Not saying we should hang our hats on him or focus on capping him as key plan, but he'd be able to add depth which is huge. Like Deschamps says it will create pressure for our younger players to get better too.

The guy I'd really like is Felipe...but he's not even close to being eligible. Maybe Montreal will hang onto him for 5 years though.

Camilo really isn't all that great for the team if you watch him consistently but he does look good on a highlight reel. He's extremely talented but definitely has mental flaws. I'd rather not make him Canadian and just use our own youth.

I Haven't seen a full game, just the goals, but he is a quality player and has a great first touch cough*Ricketts* cough

• 2 weeks later...
This is wikipedia, but it says Frei would not play for other team different than Switzerland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Frei

International

Frei was a member of the Swiss U-15 National team. Despite interest from the U.S. national team program, Frei has said he is committed to the Swiss national team if called up in the future.[citation needed]

Does Stefan Frei have permanent resident (a.k.a landed immigrant) status? If he is only in Canada on a work visa, there is no countdown to anything because when the visa expires he has to leave the country. Ditto with Richard Eckersley. Different scenario with Kocic given he appears to have married a Canadian citizen and is now the father of three Canadian children.

• 1 month later...