Morace to quit after WWC?

kj52

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO, This is a money issue...pure and simple.

It isn't a control issue because she has had full control (just look at the make up of her very large staff to know that she is calling the shots).

It's not like they are forcing her to live in Canada (she seems to spend the bare minimum amount of time here).

To me, it all points to being a money issue.

Too bad. Hopefully it doesn't end up being a distraction. I feel for the players because really this isn't the best timing...in fact, the timing is quite cynical (especially in light of the SGM this weekend).

Regardless, she has been a very good coach, she has instilled a new philosophy and once the World Cup is over, hopefully the CSA will be able to announce a replacement who is able to continue the good work Carolina did. But no coach is irreplaceable, but the replacement has to be chosen very carefully.

Likely in no particular order:

- the weather

- Canadian culture

- no serious women's league

- not enough money to climb any higher

- the lack of a good development system

- convoluted amateur-run infrastructure

It's good timing for her and a good career move. Two and a half years is a long time in the coaching world. When she came here it was under a bit of a dice roll and we took a chance on her. I'm glad it worked out for everyone and if she is indeed moving on then I wish her all the best wherever she sets course to and calls home.

The timing is a little suspicious though. And more so with 2014/15 being awarded in the next 30 days than governance.

This is disapointing.

The timing is a little suspicious though. And more so with 2014/15 being awarded in the next 30 days than governance.

I must have my stupid hat on today... can someone please spell out what is being implied here? Thanks.

I am looking forward to the real story coming out. From all reports I have heard from people directly involved with the team, Morace has to fight hard with the CSA on everything. She might have a big staff, and been able to implement her training methods with her staff etc, but not without a great deal of headaches and stress. My guess is that it just hit the point where it isn't worth it for her anymore, to not be able to have the full reigns to be able to run a successful program with the governing body supporting and trusting her. It's our loss for sure, because I am sure a country with a more progressive approach to soccer will snap her up in about 5 seconds.

An absolute shame and Canadian soccer's loss for sure.

Lets see. She has the ladies team playing soccer (not punt and chase), winning, building a program. Yep time to get rid of her :(

No sense us Canadians pursuing excellence when mediocrity will do.

“The Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) has a strategy to achieve their goals that differs from my strategy,” said Morace.

Yes she is a winner and the CSA is not. Thanks for the glimpse of what things can be like and best wishes in your future.

It was interesting to hear Dianna Matheson on with Nigel Reed and Bobby Iarusci last night. She mentioned that many of the WNT members were taking a season off from their club teams to focus on the World Cup. Implication was that they would be giving up what little amount of earnings they would have been receiving. Pretty sad situation all around.

Neil

The discussion over at the Usector forum suggests that it about money. Namely, that the players have not been paid what they believe is their share or fair share from winning the Concacaf qualification.

Its a shame because, it looks like we finally have womens coach who is really building something.

Edit: This is what I was referring to - Duane's piece - CSA does not come out looking good here.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1126-Morace-to-step-down

Likely in no particular order:

- the weather

- Canadian culture

- no serious women's league

- not enough money to climb any higher

- the lack of a good development system

- convoluted amateur-run infrastructure

It's good timing for her and a good career move. Two and a half years is a long time in the coaching world. When she came here it was under a bit of a dice roll and we took a chance on her...The timing is a little suspicious though...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm a little surprised at you, Vic. Maybe I shouldn't be because the last time we spoke you said you felt she had the full support of the CSA-- which is the most naieve thing I've ever heard ANYONE SAY... EVER. The first 3 things on your list are ridiculous because they are things she could have easily done due diligence about and are not germane to QUITTING A JOB. Suggesting that she's so fickle a person that WEATHER could be a factor in her QUITTING borders on disrespectful to her. Ya know what? I'm not going to respond to your comment further because it's an expression of ___ that doesn't warrant as much attention as I've given it. But here's what I posted elsewhere:

I'm with KJ52. This is a strategic move.

Morace is a genius. The team she's compiled is a brilliant group-- players from Saskatoon, Manitoba, some hadn't played for NT in years yet still great players, individuals who used to play D now STRIKING + SCORING. Let's face it she picked a squa few MALE coaches have the cojones to assemble because most MALE coaches wanna impress or fall in line with their buddies. Everything she's done TO the players-- transformed their practices, play + mentality and BELIEF. Everything she's done FOR the players-- stuff very few (need to) know about. She is leading like a true genius.

This is a strike AT THE PERFECT TIME to make this headline news in Canada. It was a power move that makes CSA answer for its decisions TOMORROW.

And for the players, the only thing that has changed is they all are even more VISCERALLY AWARE that nobody knows what the future holds. You've gotta grab hold of the opportunities and squeeze everything you can out of them. Half of us sleep-walk thru our lives but NOW IS NOT THE TIME FOR THAT! All they know / knew is that they have ONE SHOT to CLAIM the TITLE. They knew that before but one assumes a coach's tenure will be longer than 2 years, especially given this much success. Morace's move reminds all the players that the future is promised to NO ONE.

GO GIT IT LADIES! I'm proud of Morace. I'm proud of the team. I said before now that CANADA will win but I'll say it here + now.

CANADA WILL WIN THE 2011 WORLD CUP. No team has more on the line than this group. No team has more talent that is hungry to prove itself than this group. No team has a coach with the tools + willingness to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to win, like Morace. CANADA will be 2011 World Cup Champions + I'm looking forward to watching that. Cheering. And spending much of the Fall with no voice but a heart full of joy.

Ingrid Green.

why does this always seem to happen? the CSA constantly tortures us with the on field performances and then kill us with their off field antics.

i hope it is a power play by Morace. otherwise, CSA has put Cdn women's soccer wandering in the wilderness again - even a 2015 WC hosting win won't be enough to paper over this. i side with Morace since she has actually delivered something while the CSA is known for being incompetent boobus provincialus.

IMHO, This is a money issue...pure and simple.

It isn't a control issue because she has had full control (just look at the make up of her very large staff to know that she is calling the shots).

It's not like they are forcing her to live in Canada (she seems to spend the bare minimum amount of time here).

To me, it all points to being a money issue. QUOTE]

To say that Morace has had full control couldn't be farther from the truth. This isn't her wanting power or money, this is about her wanting to prepare a team and program to be the best in the world...with a federation that is supportive of her leadership. The higher-ups in the CSA have done everything possible to make her tenure a a nightmare and it's a miracle that she has put up with it for so long.

The CSA stated in an email to CBC Sports:

"The Canadian Soccer Association has and will continue to support the Women's National Team Program to ensure its best possible opportunity for success at the FIFA Women's World Cup Germany 2011 and beyond,"

The CSA is great at being mediocre. If they truly supported the women's program as they say they do then why would they cut over one-third of the programs budget for 2011? Interesting to cut that much money from a program when it is a World Cup year and is the lead-up to Olympic qualifying, which the CSA is hosting at the very beginning of 2012. Doesn't seem to make sense. Again, this isn't about money...this is about Morace being able to run a proper program with the appropriate tools at her disposal.

Own The Podium contributes significant funding to the women's team because it believes that, under Morace's guidance, the program can become top-3 in the World. For Morace's philosophy to be implemented fully everyone needs to be on board - her players are, her staff are, but the CSA politicians are not. The people 'above' her within the CSA don't understand what it means to run a program alongside the World's elite (i.e. Germany, USA, Sweden...) which means she hits a road-block every time she tries to take the team to the next level, on the field and off.

It's very disheartening to know that the CSA thinks they are doing everything they can to "support" Morace and the women's program. Goes to show they really have no clue and nothing will change in a positive way for soccer in Canada until they are al replaced.

Ingrid - it wasn't a here's why; it was a laundry list of things that could have influenced her decision. You've picked on the wackiest of the bunch but hey... most lifelong southern Europeans do not enjoy Canadian weather, but then again a lot of lifelong Canadians don't either. Who knows how homesick she is or how much she misses the language and culture of her entire life. Not you or I or anyone. I doubt it weighed much if at all but I certainly don't believe it weighed nothing.

On what grounds do you think Morace doesn't have the full support of the CSA? I think she's probably our most supported coach ever. People like Beliveau and Turnbull got a bag of shirts. This team has been together since last August and been around the world and go to Cyprus soon with lots more between now and the Cup. If they weren't fully behind our women there's no way that happens. The country has never invested in a team like this before.

The REAL problem is we have 9 teams and an entire national organization to run on top of that and a lot of problems to fix. And our funding patterns and resource limitations are and always have been public record too. Diligence cuts both directions.

A lot of opinions so far for unknown denied resource requests. I'm going to wait and see what they were and how appropriate they are to our budget and all our programs before picking sides. In the meantime I'll go with the known. Money talks, and it points in the support direction. Maybe not compared to the USA or Germany, but certainly inside Canada. If more is released and it points in the other direction I'll be the first to change course.

p.s. there are a ton of incredibly talented male coaches who pick great women's teams and they're on every continent in the world. A good women's coach is a good women's coach - period. Many of the best women's coaches in the world are men.

I suppose it's entirely possible that what Morace wants is beyond the ability of the CSA to provide. Unfortunately the CSA Board has no solution to the financial issue. Although the President has claimed in the past that he has the contacts within the Canadian corporate community to provide long term sponsorship for our national programs, the sad reality is the only source of revenue they can find is increasing player fees. It seems to me you don't even need governance reform to know that you don't have the ability to run a NSO, just look around, then resign if you can't do the job. Please.

"Head coach Carolina Morace and her Canadian women's national soccer team staff plan to quit after this summer's FIFA World Cup in Germany out of frustration with the Canadian Soccer Association."

http://www.canada.com/sports/soccer/Women+national+soccer+coach+Carolina+Morace+quit+after+World/4225362/story.html

"Morace is said to be at odds with the Canadian Soccer Association over the long-term strategy of the women's program."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/02/04/sp-carolina-morace.html

I'm not surprised but I'm surprised that it's happening right now before the WWC. If I remember right EP waited until after the Olympics.

After reading some of the news today, I really don't feel good about CM leaving as she has done a awesome job and the WNT have enjoyed her program. A program that was also successful for them and for the fans.

With the ASA saga, reform up in the air, the sordid CSA history, CONCACAF money not going to the players and now this, we the fans really have to understand that all is not well inside the CSA. If this is the case, more credit should go to CM and her program and the players and their families that supported her.

Sadly, CM's announcement confirms to me there is more going on here than meets the eye.

Disaster.

Have to say that during her tenure with the WNT Morace has walked the talk. Her soccer cred just keeps rising and I hope that trend continues this summer. Could be one Hell of an exit. One Hell of an exit.

Is this legit though? Political grandstanding? If it is there may be a way to turn this back around. If it legit, or there isn't a means to bring Morace & the CSA's vision for developing womens soccer into some common ground well that's that I guess. And the CSA will have to wear the loss of an odviously very capible individual along with all the other dirty laundry they've collected over time.

Would love to hear what these differing development visions are though.

I think she has made a deal with a European national women's team (probably Italy since they missed out in making it to the WC) and has made demands that can't be met. She probably feels that the team has peaked and the best deal she can make has to be made now. By the way how long is her existing contract? Isn't it till after the Olympics? In which case she probably wants out now so she can prepare her new team for the Olympics. I know this is cynical but I am sure we have all know male coaches who have done the same thing. (Think NCAA basketball and football.)

CM has no more of a budget that EP did and she has the same hassles with the CSA that EP did. Hence moving somewhere else like EP did and many before him in the CSA NT programs did is the best thing to do.

The issue is the CSA can't retain good NT coaches as they can't manage the funds the teams bring in. They are always moving the money around to look good vs letting the teams moving ahead on what they earn.

Bottom line is CM is fed up with the CSA and it's lack of support for the WNT and WP. She is not only making a stand for herself but for the WP players and young females in Canada too.

NOTE at this time the CSA has an extra $550K that they didn't have during the EP days but it's supposedly gone into general funds. Would have been equitable like the MNT to see the WNT get their $250K CONCACAF cash reward but it seems women in the CSA are still 2nd class even though they are the best product the CSA has and pays for itself. This borders on being a CCRF issue

Archived