JDG2 wants to play for Toronto FC

JoshieScores

Just posted by Ben Rycroft.

http://www.nieuwslog.nl/2011/01/09/exclusief-de-guzman-ik-wil-ooit-nog-voor-feyenoord-spelen/

This line intrigues me. Google translate makes no sense but if I read between the lines, could he possibly be waiting to suit up for Canada?

Is 2011 the year you were in the Dutch national team make your debut?

"I try to play all the matches and I'm glad I'm fully fit. "

Not much there. They asked him how he is getting along in Mallorca (glad for the help from his teammates), whether he would consider a return to Feyenoord (yes, at some point in the future), whether he will get a callup from Dutch nats (he has been starting and has remainted healthy) and if any there are any other clubs he would be interested in playing for (home town Toronto FC).

Well if he's dutch he should retired at Feyenoord...

If he doesn't play for Canada I think he would be dreaming to think he could play for Toronto and there would be no backlash

Agreed. I cant see him playing for TFC while being a regular for Holland either. So if he came to TFC, it would be after he has comitted to Canada, or if he didnt have any committed international future for us or the Dutch. However thats highly doubtful.

This may be good news after all. But I wont believe it until we cap the guy officialy.

How can his "hometown team" be Toronto if he's DUTCH?!

Oh, wait...

You know, for a nation that's always going on about how we're multicultural, compassionate, and made of immigrants, a lot of people seem to be making overblown judgements about a young guy who lived a long time in Holland and is having what seems like a serious crisis of identity. So he chooses his Dutch or Canadian identity, so what?

Yeah, I'd prefer he play for Canada, and I won't be a big fan of him if he doesn't, but to call the guy a traitor or a hypocrite to me seems well over the top. Having him at Toronto would be great, but right now he's kinda tearing it up for Mallorca, so I'd be surprised if he's not talking about the possibility of playing for TFC in like, 5 or 6 years.

You know, for a nation that's always going on about how we're multicultural, compassionate, and made of immigrants, a lot of people seem to be making overblown judgements about a young guy who lived a long time in Holland and is having what seems like a serious crisis of identity. So he chooses his Dutch or Canadian identity, so what?

Yeah, I'd prefer he play for Canada, and I won't be a big fan of him if he doesn't, but to call the guy a traitor or a hypocrite to me seems well over the top. Having him at Toronto would be great, but right now he's kinda tearing it up for Mallorca, so I'd be surprised if he's not talking about the possibility of playing for TFC in like, 5 or 6 years.

Sorry this doesn't fly, if JDG 2 states his home town is Toronto and Toronto happens to be in Canada then that's who he should play for. The fact is he is selling out Canada for the possibly of getting more money in his career playing internationally with Holland. While this is a logical choice for anyone, being a fan of sports is not.

I spend thousands of dollars supporting various teams I am a fan of by going to games or buying merchandise. What for? To provide an income higher than my own for a group of people I have never met? As a fan, I feel an imagined emotional attachment with fans and players and gain some identity from supporting that team. This is totally irrational and foolish but yet I still do it. When it comes to international soccer that imagined connection is a little more real as the players represent the country in the sport, however I don’t know any of the players personally and why is any sport a representation of any nation? They simply are not.

Sports are just an entertainment product, like TV or music. You support a team over another because you have an irrational emotional attachment to the team, unlike TV or music which is just pure entertainment you can change when you feel. Why would you expect anyone to understand JDG 2 or anyone who does not play for Canada whom we feel should? If fans feel offended and JDG 2 a traitor they have every right to do so . As a public figure that makes money from the public he has to accept anything and everything the public wants to say about him. If no one gave a **** about soccer he would be working at McDonald’s with his brother in Scarborough. Why shouldn’t I or any other fan feel upset? Fans are irrational in nature. So what if he is insulted? Life sure is tough for a multimillionaire who plays a children’s game for a living.

If you don’t care about his decision that is fine, but fans have every right to call him whatever they want. Did you think the fans were too harsh on Dany Heatley in Ottawa? Chris Pronger in Edmonton? Vince Carter in Toronto? Lebron James in Cleveland? Jonny Damon in Boston? Same **** different pile.

Technically, he says Toronto is his birth town, not home town, but anyway ...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we won't be seeing him in red (Canadian red that is) until after Euro 2012, if he hasn't been selected by the Dutch by then (and I think he won't have been).

Technically, he says Toronto is his birth town, not home town, but anyway ...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we won't be seeing him in red (Canadian red that is) until after Euro 2012, if he hasn't been selected by the Dutch by then (and I think he won't have been).

Well, the fact that he avoided answering the question directly about his possiblity in Dutch Jersey may imply he ain't waiting no more. Although at the same time that Stephen Hart hasn't been keeping in touch with him (he was on Team 1040 interview yesterday). I thought he was going to Spain to meet with him??

I agree with Ed, there is nothing to this. His response regarding his Dutch possibilities was insinuating that he is interested in the Dutch if they are interested in him-citing his consistant playing time in La Liga as a reason to be called (without saying it that way of course).

The prospect of him playing for TFC without representing Canada may seem crazy to some of the fans, but I wouldn't jump the gun and assume he wouldn't consider it.

Just recently it came out that the Dutch are monitoring him (no surprise) and now the Dutch media are asking him what his chances of a call up are. Seems like a normal routine for a player on the outside looking in.

Anyone who thinks his TFC comment is hinting at playing with Canada is being delusionally optimistic. C'mon now, this is a guy who wants to play at the highest level, after all, that is the ultimate reason he want to play with Holland. Why then, would he even consider playing with TFC in the near future?

He may play with TFC one day, but it won't be until he is at least 30.

Do not be fooled, he is not going to commit to TFC anytime soon. It's a place for the end of the career IMHO. I doubt he'll commit to TFC before 32 years of age. That ofcourse unless they throw huge money at him, offer him the chance to play with his brother and his brother talks about how awesome it will be (which I doubt)

Do not be fooled, he is not going to commit to TFC anytime soon. It's a place for the end of the career IMHO. I doubt he'll commit to TFC before 32 years of age. That ofcourse unless they throw huge money at him, offer him the chance to play with his brother and his brother talks about how awesome it will be (which I doubt)

That's my thinking too. I think he means he'd be happy to play for TFC when he's in his 30s and his European career is washed up.

I think I speak for the majority of TFC supporters when I say I'd take guys like ********** and JDG2 on the team in a flash. As much as I hate their decisions to play for other national teams, it makes sense in the light of the mess at the CSA (especially at the time) and how its helped their careers (look at **********, has two good World Cups for England and Man Utd come calling). They would count as domestic players and are much better than the MLS standard. If we had the opportunity to sign both as DPs right now (with a fleet of physios for **********' knees) I'd take it.

I think I speak for the majority of TFC supporters when I say I'd take guys like ********** and JDG2 on the team in a flash. As much as I hate their decisions to play for other national teams, it makes sense in the light of the mess at the CSA (especially at the time) and how its helped their careers (look at **********, has two good World Cups for England and Man Utd come calling). They would count as domestic players and are much better than the MLS standard. If we had the opportunity to sign both as DPs right now (with a fleet of physios for **********' knees) I'd take it.

I'd sign them 10 year contract for JDG2 and 5 Year contract (void if Knee is blown) to the Whore....then immediately relegate them to permanent bench duty.

And use the Whore for slide tackling practice with the aim of injuring the Whore.

When JDG2 eventually chooses Canada (Dutch wouldn't take someone not playing at all), he could play again.

Archived