Gold Cup 2011

jojoflow

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/four-mls-venues-host-2011-gold-cup-matches

Gold Cup venues:

Detroit - Ford Field

Charlotte - Bank of America Stadium

Tampa - Raymond James Stadium

Kansas City - KC Soccer Stadium

Arlington, TX - Cowboys Stadium

Carson, CA - Home Depot Center

Miami - FIU Stadium

Chicago - Soldier Field

Harrison, NJ - Red Bull Arena

East Rutherford, NJ - New Meadowlands Stadium

Washington, DC - RFK Stadium

Houston - Reliant Stadium

Pasadena, CA - Rose Bowl

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Wow...they are ensuring none of the games will be sell-outs and tickets will be available for all.....seating for all in the 60-70K seat football stadiums.

How many of these are artificial turf venues....I know FIU and Ford Field, but I don't know of anything else.

Stay in Windsor Ford Field is literally 10 minutes away in downtown Detroit.

I agree X1000000000000. My car got smashed into when I went to the thanksgiving day classic in Detroit. Jacked my overnight bag with my new boxers and my electric rasor.

Not a whole lot of fun driving home with no window.

Its pretty easy to take the shuttle across the boarder. Hit up Tunnel BBQ before you head there for some authentic old-style BBQ meats.

Amazingly, looking at the CONCACAF press release which actually says which venues are used on which dates it's possible to predict where some of the teams will play already (remember, there's no draw).

First Round

June 5 – Cowboys Stadium (Arlington, Texas)

June 6 – The Home Depot Center (Carson, Calif.)

June 7 – Ford Field (Detroit)

June 9 – Bank of America Stadium (Charlotte)

June 10 – FIU Stadium (Miami)

June 11 – Raymond James Stadium (Tampa)

June 12 – Soldier Field (Chicago)

June 13 – Red Bull Arena (Harrison, N.J.)

June 14 – KC Soccer Stadium (Kansas City, Kan.)

Quarterfinals

June 18 – New Meadowlands Stadium (East Rutherford, N.J.)

June 19 – Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium (Washington)

Semifinals

June 22 – Reliant Stadium (Houston)

Final

June 25 – Rose Bowl (Pasadena, Calif.)

The way the dates are staggered, you can also tell where each group will play when. You can take it to the bank that Mexico will be in Group 1 playing in Dallas, Charlotte, and Chicago leading to a quarterfinal at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. You can also take it to the bank that the Yanks will be in Group 3 playing in Detroit, Tampa, and Kansas City leading to a quarterfinal at RFK. I'm confident group 2 playing in LA, Miami, and New Jersey will include Jamaica and at least two central american teams. As long as El Salvador qualifies they'll be in group 2 because they're a huge draw in LA.

I'm hoping we'll be in group 3 with the yanks so we can play in Detroit

PS...Has anyone looked at our FIFA ranking yet. As of right now we are 8th meaning we would be in the 3rd pot.

How the $hit is that possible.

18 1 USA 867

27 2 Mexico 795

58 3 Jamaica 522

59 4 Honduras 516

62 5 Cuba 512

64 6 Panama 501

69 7 Costa Rica 467

84 8 Canada 411

89 9 Trinidad and Tobago 373

90 10 Haiti 367

When is the CSA going to wake up and see that these standings matter. As stupid as they are, they help determine the difficulty of our group. Why are our domestic players not playing all year round against the minnows as Jamaica, Cuba, Panama, ect do. They don't bring home their european based players for home matches frequently as they are not required due to the level of competition. However they do stay high in the rankings makeing it easier for them to qualify further in tournaments like the Gold Cup.

PS...Has anyone looked at our FIFA ranking yet. As of right now we are 8th meaning we would be in the 3rd pot.

How the $hit is that possible.

18 1 USA 867

27 2 Mexico 795

58 3 Jamaica 522

59 4 Honduras 516

62 5 Cuba 512

64 6 Panama 501

69 7 Costa Rica 467

84 8 Canada 411

89 9 Trinidad and Tobago 373

90 10 Haiti 367

When is the CSA going to wake up and see that these standings matter. As stupid as they are, they help determine the difficulty of our group. Why are our domestic players not playing all year round against the minnows as Jamaica, Cuba, Panama, ect do. They don't bring home their european based players for home matches frequently as they are not required due to the level of competition. However they do stay high in the rankings makeing it easier for them to qualify further in tournaments like the Gold Cup.

The Gold Cup doesn't have a draw. The groups are hand picked. It's always been done that way.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/four-mls-venues-host-2011-gold-cup-matches

Gold Cup venues:

Detroit - Ford Field

Charlotte - Bank of America Stadium

Tampa - Raymond James Stadium

Kansas City - KC Soccer Stadium

Arlington, TX - Cowboys Stadium

Carson, CA - Home Depot Center

Miami - FIU Stadium

Chicago - Soldier Field

Harrison, NJ - Red Bull Arena

East Rutherford, NJ - New Meadowlands Stadium

Washington, DC - RFK Stadium

Houston - Reliant Stadium

Pasadena, CA - Rose Bowl

Well, this confirms that we aren't going to repeat our Columbus road-trip. It was an interesting little city -- and one that is so far off the radar that I would never have visited it if not for the 2009 tournament. Let's see, how many soccer-specific stadiums are on the list? Three, I guess. The brand new stadiums in Salt Lake and Newark, and Home Depot in LA.

I LIKE the Gold Cup. A lot. It allows me to watch our national team, in North America, in the summer when I usually have vacation time. And we sometimes win the trophy, which can't be said about any other competition. And this year, I'll probably travel to a Canadian game wherever it is being held. Maybe more than one if I can swing the time.

If you divide the sked into the group games Canada will either have a game in New York, Chicago or Kansas City for all us east coast people (although Kansas isn't great travel wise)

Kansas City took us 17hrs straight to get there. Not a whole lot of fun considering you can make trips to much more fun cities in half the time.

I don't know if this is a dumb question, but can anyone tell me why the gold cup is always hosted by the U.S.? I feel like Mexico or Canada could easily host, central american or caribbean nations maybe not. . .

$$$

But Canada should host it, there were rumours that we were going to host the last Gold Cup but it never happened. We should at least get a group

Archived