Gold Cup 2011

jojoflow

$$$

But Canada should host it, there were rumours that we were going to host the last Gold Cup but it never happened. We should at least get a group

Some rumours that were made by a troll on wikipedia. (Not that I knew, but it was clearly written by someone who didn't follow the guidelines of wrting an article.

I'm sure we can host it. But, we don't give jack to Jack and that's probably why we don't host it.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some rumours that were made by a troll on wikipedia. (Not that I knew, but it was clearly written by someone who didn't follow the guidelines of wrting an article.

I'm sure we can host it. But, we don't give jack to Jack and that's probably why we don't host it.

Thanks...But those rumors were not made by a troll and did follow Wikipedia's guidelines for writing an article. I know because I helped create the 2009 Gold cup page when I heard the news that Toronto and Canada could be a joint host.

This was the article I referenced (however you now have to pay to see the archives)

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/06/06/gold_cup_now_glittering_event/

This was the Wikipage that I started before the rumor was squashed

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=2009_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup&oldid=137803041

So know your facts before you spurt off like that.

Now if you are referring to someone else, maybe you are right. But as far as I can see all rules were followed and the page was changed as the story was found to be false.

Hey guys, since you're both wikipedia masters can you help me update Paul Peschisolido's page? It has a couple of obvious errors in it and i tried changing it twice now and someone keeps changing it back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Peschisolido

Paul was assistant coach at St. Patrick's in 2008-09 and never played there as a player (they list him as a player there in 2009 - AFAIK he didn't). Plus they have him listed as a Juventus of Turin player in 1991-92 which AFAIK is wrong, he trialed there and was never signed by the club.

To make my post relevant to this thread; Paul never scored a goal for Canada at a Gold Cup tournament.

I find it ridiculous that the Gold Cup, as a continental competition, is held in the US every time and that they're using 13 sites this time.. that's right 13! That's as many as as a World Cup and more than European Championships (both much larger competitions in terms of number of teams, exposure, etc). I understand that they have an exclusive deal with SUM and are trying to maximize revenue but it seems as though the US has a monopoly over the tournament. Also, it seems that everything possible is done to accomodate a Mexico-USA final to get the most exposure and revenue possible.

The tournament should be held around CONCACAF perhaps by host groups of nations and the US, rotating every 2 years. The US can continue to host every 4 years. In my opinion Mexico, Canada, Central American nations, and the Caribbean nations should have an opportunity to host. Having it run more like other continental championships might make some take it more seriously and allow some countries to develop the infrastructure to help improve the overall quality of the game in CONCACAF. I assume that an improved CONCACAF would also mean increased influence in FIFA too...

For example:

2011 USA

2013 Canada

2015 USA

2017 Mexico

2019 USA

2021 Caribbean

2023 USA

2025 Central America

Anyways, just some thoughts and ramblings on the tournament. That being said, I hope Canada meets some non-USA/Mexico team in the finals. I wonder how full the Rose Bowl would be, probably as packed as the LA Coliseum was in 2000 when we won! :D

I don't understand why other concacaf nations haven't made the fact that the u.s. always hosts a bigger deal. It would be a huge advantage to host the tournament! but the other countries just sort of accept it. I see no reason why they should host every year, especially when other nations already have the required infrastructure.(ie. Mexico, Canada).

I don't understand why other concacaf nations haven't made the fact that the u.s. always hosts a bigger deal. It would be a huge advantage to host the tournament! but the other countries just sort of accept it. I see no reason why they should host every year, especially when other nations already have the required infrastructure.(ie. Mexico, Canada).

You don't know Jack!

^ Agreed, however SUM is an american company that works with the US Soccer Association. They would have to deal with the CSA to make Toronto happen and it may be too much red tape and less profit than if they kept it in the US.

Really tho?

Would Canada sell out it's games in the US? Surely they'd do so with a bit of marketing effort here.

I've only ever seen Canada play once, in a WCQ, and BMO Field was quite buzzing. Canada is as multicultural as it gets, why not group Canada with our strongest (as in by total numbers) immigrant nations that are in CONCACAF and have that group hosted here?

Really tho?

Would Canada sell out it's games in the US? Surely they'd do so with a bit of marketing effort here.

The size of the crowd at Canada games played in the USA totally depends on the other team's support. Even a game against tiny El Salvador would probably sell-out the HDC in Los Angeles, but when they played El Salvador in Columbus last time nobody showed up.

Hey I thought I would start a trend for Gold Cup.

I want to go to Gold Cup this summer and I thouht thi would help me plan my trip

Went toToronto this past summer for the Canada Friendly games and all the V's madethe trip so much better

Im plaing on going wth mybuddy Jeff tuscan again and get some more memeories

If yu have any info please post it here or just stories abot going to the Gold Cup

Hell ya I want to go, I hope I can afford it this summer... Just got married and bought a house this past summer and was not able to go to the games last year with my bro Jordan (JojoFlow) and bud Jeff (Tuscan) ... houses cost a lot.

anyway I really hope some games are close to the boarder. I need to get my passport.

Really tho?

I've only ever seen Canada play once, in a WCQ, and BMO Field was quite buzzing. Canada is as multicultural as it gets, why not group Canada with our strongest (as in by total numbers) immigrant nations that are in CONCACAF and have that group hosted here?

Your lucky. You have been to the one game in Toronto with a full house and an arguabely pro-Canadian crowd (even though there were a lot of Jamaicans in the stands) Every other CMNT game in Toronto&Montreal has not been a sell-out and we were outnumbered by away fans.

Since the GC is not near as prestegious as the World Cup, we would likely see similar crowds to what we have seen unless all Canucks come from their houses and show up to the game.

^I disagree, if a Gold Cup group was held in Toronto and there was media attention and advertising, I have no doubt Canada would sell out their games. There are enough people in the GTA that for a reasonable price would be willing to go to games if they had a clue they were going on.

Your lucky. You have been to the one game in Toronto with a full house and an arguabely pro-Canadian crowd (even though there were a lot of Jamaicans in the stands) Every other CMNT game in Toronto&Montreal has not been a sell-out and we were outnumbered by away fans.

Since the GC is not near as prestegious as the World Cup, we would likely see similar crowds to what we have seen unless all Canucks come from their houses and show up to the game.

You underestimate what a little marketing can do.

Razcle,

What other matches do you compare it to though? This was a WCQ, a game of significant meaning to the CMNT, a friendly is not going to work on Canadian fans because they instantly translate that into "exhibition" as seen in the NFL, NHL, etc, which are boring events with 2nd rate lineups. It's not quite the same with football, but most people here don't understand that a friendly still has meaning and is worth going to..... that it's a rare treat to get to see the national team play, considering we have to share matches with Vancouver and Montreal.

With the expected amount of matches in the upcoming WCQ campaign, there should be an opportunity to spoil the unfamiliar fans with meaningful matches where Canada can dominate (at least in the first round, if not some in the 2nd as well) and then some hard competitive matches in round 3. This stretch of games should generate some interest across the country and whether we qualify or not, I think it'll leave fans looking forward to the next time. The entire 2010 qualifying run consisted of one match in Toronto for fans here to see. That just isn't enough in a 4 year stretch to generate sustained interest and as already explained, friendlies aren't going to do much at all until some interest is sustained. With an expected 3 matches in each Canadian city for this upcoming campaign (all assuming we make round 3), this should help.

A quality result in the GC will certainly drive interest into the first round of WCQ, so I'm hoping for a dream here, cause if the ball gets rolling the CMNT match could be an event not to be missed over the next couple of years.

Archived