Gold Cup 2011

jojoflow

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not the first Gold Cup since 2000 that Canada is not considered 'ranked' (ie drawn in a Mexican or USA) group?

2005 we were in a group with the USA and I don't know if we were ever "ranked" even when with the USA/Mexico as I think Costa Rica was the favourite to win the past two groups

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the knock-out format

Quarterfinals Saturday,

June 18 –New Meadowlands Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ)

Group A runner-up vs. Group B runner-up, TBD (x)

Group A winner vs. Group B/C third-place, TBD (x)

x-matches scheduled for 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. local (5 p.m. and 8 p.m. EDT) with order TBD

Sunday, June 19 –Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium (Washington DC)

Group B winner vs. Group C runner-up, TBD (y)

Group C winner vs. Group A/B third place, TBD (y)

y-matches scheduled for 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. local (3 p.m. and 6 p.m. EDT) with order TBD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this not the first Gold Cup since 2000 that Canada is not considered 'ranked' (ie drawn in a Mexican or USA) group?

In 07 and 09, I would have said that Costa Rica was seeded. The fact that we were in the same group was just pure luck.

Time to rehash the travel plans. This is excellent luck getting drawn against the yanks in Detroit. I'm just checking right now, but it looks like flights from Saskatoon to Windsor are $179+taxes & charges via Air Canada. What's the travel time from Windsor airport to Ford Field? How would things work out for travelling from Windsor to Detroit?

Time to rehash the travel plans. This is excellent luck getting drawn against the yanks in Detroit. I'm just checking right now, but it looks like flights from Saskatoon to Windsor are $179+taxes & charges via Air Canada. What's the travel time from Windsor airport to Ford Field? How would things work out for travelling from Windsor to Detroit?

If there's no traffic crossing the border, you could probably drive from Windsor Airport to the front door of Ford Field in 15-20 minutes. There is public transportation to cross the border, but I've never used it myself.

In 07 and 09, I would have said that Costa Rica was seeded. The fact that we were in the same group was just pure luck.

I think I had always convinced myself that the only 3 teams that have won the tourney get 'seeded' spots in different groups. Wikipedia also stated that USA, Mexico, and Canada were 'automatic' qualifiers for this tournament, whereas the other 9 all had to qualify via the Caribbean and copa centro americana tournaments. Wikipedia is wikipedia however!!!!

Why is everyone saying this is excellent "luck", come on now there is no gold cup draw! hahaha

I can't believe you are implying that the Gold Cup draw, like everything else in CONCACAF, is anything but above board.

BTW, was there even a public viewing/showing of the draw?

Perhaps I'm getting lost in the layers of sarcasm, but to be clear: there is no draw, and CONCACAF never says that there is. As far as we know, all of the groups are explicity decided by real humans (or whatever it is that Jack Warner has become).

I think I had always convinced myself that the only 3 teams that have won the tourney get 'seeded' spots in different groups. Wikipedia also stated that USA, Mexico, and Canada were 'automatic' qualifiers for this tournament, whereas the other 9 all had to qualify via the Caribbean and copa centro americana tournaments. Wikipedia is wikipedia however!!!!

We are an automatic qualifier and have been since our win in 2000 (we had to qualify for the tourney in the fall of 1999).

But automatic qualifier and seeded spots are two different matters. It is a Jack / Blazer / Chuck / Warner machine that produces the seeding and groups.

Perhaps I'm getting lost in the layers of sarcasm, but to be clear: there is no draw, and CONCACAF never says that there is. As far as we know, all of the groups are explicity decided by real humans (or whatever it is that Jack Warner has become).

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Should have put a smiley in there somewhere.

Come to think of it, March Madness/NCAA isn't that much different from CONCACAF I suppose.

We are an automatic qualifier and have been since our win in 2000 (we had to qualify for the tourney in the fall of 1999).

But automatic qualifier and seeded spots are two different matters. It is a Jack / Blazer / Chuck / Warner machine that produces the seeding and groups.

Thanks Ed. That distinction I did not understand. I supose as long as it remains an American hosted tourney, they will group it in a fashion that sells the most tickets. While I'm at it, I'll have one gripe at the newer, multi-city group phase format.....its absurd for the teams and fans alike. Compare my experience in 2007 of lazing on South Beach, in Miami, sipping Margerita's inbetween our 3 matches, and the idea of Detroit, then Tampa, and then Kansas City. Are there beaches in Kansas City?

Chuck Blazer's comments

“We have high expectations for Ford Field, and with it being as close as we can get to Canada’s largest population center, and of course marketing in and around Detroit itself, there’s every reason we should fill the house,” Blazer explained. “We’d looked in the past at playing games in Canada itself, but logistical issues prevented it.”

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/03/concacaf-aims-biggest-ever-gold-cup

Chuck Blazer's comments

“We have high expectations for Ford Field, and with it being as close as we can get to Canada’s largest population center, and of course marketing in and around Detroit itself, there’s every reason we should fill the house,” Blazer explained. “We’d looked in the past at playing games in Canada itself, but logistical issues prevented it.”

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/03/concacaf-aims-biggest-ever-gold-cup

A good showing by our support in Detroit wouldn't do any harm to our chances of hosting up north in the future

We definitely need to lobby to have a group play up here next time around. I know this is old hat, but I see it as unreasonable that a group couldn't be hosted either out east or out west. Due to the population density within traveling distance I'd assume they'd choose out east as Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton, et al are so close together compared to Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, and Victoria.

Logistical issues like what? That's BS.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=357094

From the article:

Blazer said Canada was not considered for a host city because of logistical reasons with visas and other matters in transporting teams across the border.

"We explored this once before, found it to be rather difficult in dealing with it."

-----

I find the idea that it's too much trouble to get players into the country a little strange, it can't be that much different than getting players into the US. Regardless, the main thing is they've at least considered/discussed it which is a good sign for the future.

I don't buy that fully either. I can understand that some countries might pose an unusual threat of the players disappearing into the country in the middle of the night (Cuba), but other than that I don't see how we should be any harder to enter than the States. Anyone have any insight into this?

I don't see how we should be any harder to enter than the States.

Exactly. Plus if they actually play a whole group in 1 single city (TO, probably), it will lower their cost compared to the stupid-a** format they have right now.

All they need to do is find three teams from countries that have no problem entering Canada (visa or passport wise), get them in TO with the Canucks for a group and then two of them go home while the other two continue in the States.

Although it seems very easy for us I'm sure there's more to it. The sole purpose of this tournament is to make money, perhaps SUM isn't interested in leaving the US at this point because of sponsorship and support deals as well as visa issues. They can probably maximize profits by staying in one country and dealing with a handful of national advertisers, carriers and hotels.

I don't buy that fully either. I can understand that some countries might pose an unusual threat of the players disappearing into the country in the middle of the night (Cuba), but other than that I don't see how we should be any harder to enter than the States. Anyone have any insight into this?

It's not a case of one or the other. If part of the tournament is in Canada, players would need visas for both countries.

Archived