Gold Cup 2011

jojoflow

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We'll get ****ed and will be put in Group B, just so we have to travel to three different corners of the warmonger republic. The NJ game would be at Red Bull Arena? That'd be worth checking out for sure.

Not only that, we can play Cuba in Miami. And while American-Cubans don't support Castro, I'm pretty sure they're still proud to be Cuban.

We'll get ****ed and will be put in Group B, just so we have to travel to three different corners of the warmonger republic. The NJ game would be at Red Bull Arena? That'd be worth checking out for sure.

Ya the group game is at Red Bull Arena in Harrison and the quarter final is at the new Giants Stadium in East Rutherford.

Holy ****, they really do set this thing up to ensure we could never possibly have even a 50/50 crowd possibility.

On another note, what are the odds that JDG is fit for this now that his knee is buggered?

As I mentioned in the other thread, it's still possible he'll be fit for June as that should be 7-8 months after his surgery based on what we know so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Teams are set

Automatically Qualified (3):

- United States (host)

- Mexico

- Canada

Qualified through the 2010 Caribbean Championship (4):

- Jamaica

- Guadeloupe

- Cuba

- Grenada

Qualified through the 2011 Copa Centroamericana (5):

- Honduras

- Costa Rica

- Panama

- El Salvador

- Guatemala

Who will Canada play?

Lets hope Canada is playing in Detroit

With the field set do we have any idea when the groups will be announced?

Various articles have said the groups will be set in "February". No definitive date announced. Because it has always been an drawn-up list in secret to maximize interest, and not really a draw, CONCACAF is probably not interested in pre-announcing much because they are sensitive about lack of transparency. It will probably be an announcement that a draw has been "held" when the groups are announced.

From December press release:

"CONCACAF will announce the Gold Cup 2011 Group Stage groups, the full schedule, as well as ticket information in early February."

If the Canada game is in Detroit on June 7th (and it better be!) what would be better?

a - Staying in Detroit for the 7th

b - Staying in Windsor for the 7th

If a what are some good hotels? Could you walk or would you need a ride?

If b will a bus run from Windsor to Detroit?

I'm hoping to get tickets with the Voyageurs, would the Voyageurs have a package deal? Game ticket, Hotel, bus?

If the Canada game is in Detroit on June 7th (and it better be!) what would be better?

a - Staying in Detroit for the 7th

b - Staying in Windsor for the 7th

If a what are some good hotels? Could you walk or would you need a ride?

If b will a bus run from Windsor to Detroit?

I'm hoping to get tickets with the Voyageurs, would the Voyageurs have a package deal? Game ticket, Hotel, bus?

Canada would play in Detroit if they land in Group C in the draw.

You do NOT want to stay in Detroit, it resembles a post apocolyptic nightmare....no exaggeration. There's nothing to do there and half the city is literally deserted.

There is transport from Windsor to Detroit, I've not taken it myself but I do know that it exists.

I don't know about the package with the V's or how that comes to be, I'm looking to find out that information myself.

each group has a decent option for Canada, if not Group C - Detroit, there's Chicago in Group A and New Jersey in Group B.

Although Chicago would require a flight for those in Ontario and East of that. I'd likely wait for the Quarters as the games are in New York or Washington, both do-able by rowdy bus trip!

I'm sure someone pointed this out already but isn't it God awful that they have these group games spread all over the States? Yes I know, I know, money talks as CONCACAF is making a money grab for all the expat latino communities from all across the US but for Canadian fans, who we are not as big in numbers, it sucks. Like who here can really afford to travel to each group game? Maybe a slight few and if you save money every two years. Too bad they just couldn't have Canada play out of one city but then that would be unfair for the rest of the teams.

Pending work commitments of course I would be down for a road trip down to Detroit. Think we would have enough people to get a bus this gold cup?

I'm sure we could... I'd like to think that a lot of TFC fans would be down for a trip if they don't have TFC commitments. All seems a little preliminary though since we don't even know any dates and confirmed locations yet.

Yes I know, I know, money talks as CONCACAF is making a money grab for all the expat latino communities from all across the US but for Canadian fans, who we are not as big in numbers, it sucks. Like who here can really afford to travel to each group game?

But air travel is pretty cheap within the continental US especially now with the strong Canadian $. Spirit airlines specializes in travel to Florida and the Caribbean and I see that 2 groups have matches down there. If Canada lands in group "C" you can take a bus to Detroit then fly to Tampa OR if in group "B" bus it to New York and fly to Fort Lauderdale (there are buses between FLL and Miami that are pretty cheap).

So at least 2 Canada matches (3 if you stay in NYC for the quarterfinal) with pretty minimul travel costs (about $200 round-trip for the flight to FLA).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived