Gold Cup 2011

jojoflow

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez it's about time! People have flight plans to work out, not to mention setting up the time off work (lots of places ask people to choose their vacation time before the end of January to help with scheduling). Surely this has to have some kind of an effect on the national FA's for getting itineraries to the players, etc...

Shall we start placing bets on which group we get and who we're grouped with? I say:

Group B: Jamaica, Panama, Canada, El Salvador

Seems American footy "fans" consider Canada a walk over....Based on this unscientific poll on who they would like in their group anyway...

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/03/with-the-gold-cup-draw-set-for-tuesday-who-would-you-like-to-see-usmnt-face.html#more

Maybe they just enjoy the Canada-USA rivalry. The last big sporting stage was a Canada-fest.

Seems American footy "fans" consider Canada a walk over....Based on this unscientific poll on who they would like in their group anyway...

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/03/with-the-gold-cup-draw-set-for-tuesday-who-would-you-like-to-see-usmnt-face.html#more

Based on the reasoning Ives laid out and some of the comments, i highly doubt that's the reason most of them picked us.

"Would you like seeing how the Americans match up against the speedsters from Jamaica? Want a re-match with Bryan Ruiz and Costa Rica? Eager to see the United States face Dwayne DeRosario and the Canadians so we can finally stop hearing about the offside call in the 2007 Gold Cup semifinal?"

Based on the reasoning Ives laid out and some of the comments, i highly doubt that's the reason most of them picked us.

"Would you like seeing how the Americans match up against the speedsters from Jamaica? Want a re-match with Bryan Ruiz and Costa Rica? Eager to see the United States face Dwayne DeRosario and the Canadians so we can finally stop hearing about the offside call in the 2007 Gold Cup semifinal?"

Exactly its like asking Canadian hockey fans would you rather face Finland, Sweden or the US... of course people want Canada - USA

I made your comment better. :)

I'd obviously prefer it to be played somewhere where I can watch it, but I think having a home game against an opponent we should beat is a good exercise before WCQ. We haven't won easy home matches in the past... a habit we have to get into. With the players already in North America and travel not being an issue this time around I wouldn't mind seeing this game being played in somewhere like Vancouver. Tap into the new MLS fanbase they have there

So in my excitement to attend this for the first time I did some quick searching using redtag.ca vacations.

Detroit game would be a drive and overnight stay in the area (or long drive back to Toronto until like 3am).

Flying from Toronto to Tampa Bay on Saturday morning (day of 2nd game) would cost $230. Leaving from Buffalo would cost $150, so if you want to save a few bucks you could head there.

Spend 3 nights in Florida which would be fairly cheap, then flying Tampa to Kansas City is $135.

Spend the night in KC, fly home to Toronto for $290.

All travel/game expenses in, I think I could do it for under $1000.

Not too bad.

Archived