Toronto FC vs. Cruz Azul - Aug 17th

Kicking off the group stage at home against Cruz Azul!

Cruz Azul have a number of quality players including; GK Jesus Corona, LB Fausto Pinto, DM Gerrardo Torrado, AM Christian Gimenez, Winger Cesar Villaluz, MF Gonzalo Pineda and F Emanuel Villa.

They also have a few family connections to some famous players; F Alejandro Vela is the older brother of Arsenal's Mexican Int'l Carlos Vela and F Maxi Biancucchi - who scored a bunch of goals in the prelim. round - is the cousin of Leo Messi.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In case it wasn't mentioned yet, GOLTV Canada will be broadcasting this game, as well as all of the rest of TFC's games in the group stage.

That is excellent, but it would be even better if it was on a more accessible channel. At least when the Impact CCL matches were on CBC Bold, they were also streamed live online and broadcast on the main CBC on tape delay.

At least when the Impact CCL matches were on CBC Bold, they were also streamed live online and broadcast on the main CBC on tape delay.

The year after that, The CBC (in a budget cutting corporate downsize) dropped some soccer content. Gone was the Voyageurs cup and the CCL.

Thought that they did a pretty good job with the CCL.

Cruz Azul will likely play with a 4-3-3 formation. It seems they play with 2 different formations, when they play a hard opponent or when they play away matches, they go with a 4-3-3 and when they play home they go with a 3-4-3. I didn't do the math but 90%-95% of goals from the 3 forward positions. Four of their strikers seems to be particularly dangerous. IMO these are their more dangerous forwards (in order):

1. 28 years old Argentinean Emanuel Villa. He usually does not forgive when he has a chance to score, also his shot can be vicious and precise the same time.

2. Mexican Javier Orozco (22), he has 5 goals in 3 Mexican League games and 1 CCL combined. Like Emanuel Villa, he won't forgive if he has a chance to score.

3. Argentinean Maxi Biancucchi (25), he shots the ball with a lot of precision.

4. Alejandro Vela (26), does not score often but he's a very creative player and sure can help his team.

In defence, Cruz Azul is very solid, they gave goals on stopped balls only. So, free kicks seems to be their weakness in defence. Overall this is a very sharp team with a lot of talent in defence, midfield and forwards positions, one of the best clubs in the Mexican League.

This is going to be a very difficult game for the TFC players and us the fans, so if TFC wins this I'll be happy no matter how the team plays. TFC is going to be very sharp in defence because Cruz Azul, unlike Motagua, won't forgive in front of goal, if they have a chance to score.

Kicking off the group stage at home against Cruz Azul!

Cruz Azul have a number of quality players including; GK Jesus Corona, LB Fausto Pinto, DM Gerrardo Torrado, AM Christian Gimenez, Winger Cesar Villaluz, MF Gonzalo Pineda and F Emanuel Villa.

They also have a few family connections to some famous players; F Alejandro Vela is the older brother of Arsenal's Mexican Int'l Carlos Vela and F Maxi Biancucchi - who scored a bunch of goals in the prelim. round - is the cousin of Leo Messi.

TFC is screwed; how can you even think of getting a result when the other team has Jesus on its side?

I expect you guys will have to deal with the same type of douchebags who came out to SS when the Impact played Atlante in the 2008 CCL..

How large were they? I wasn't there for that game but I recall watching it on TV and, from the sounds of it, I did not note a visitors presence of any significance in the crowd. But again, I watched it on TV.

How large were they? I wasn't there for that game but I recall watching it on TV and, from the sounds of it, I did not note a visitors presence of any significance in the crowd. But again, I watched it on TV.

They were not particularly organized or loud except for the occassional ''Olé Olé'' chant and were mostly scattered across the stadium. They were decked out in other mexican teams jerseys (mostly Chivas, Club America) or the Mexican Nats jersey and brought their Mexican flags...

Some of them were throwing beer and acting like tough guys especially after the 0-0 scoreline held...

DeRo doesn't know who they are playing.

TFC 0-1 NY. Guys played well, should have came out with at least a point. Looking to CCL game Tues. At BMO vs Chivas. Rest and regroup

On a more serious angle, Getting point(s) will only make it easier. I think Cruz Azul is the best team and if you can get points from the best team, you are always in good position to advance.

DeRo doesn't know who they are playing.

On a more serious angle, Getting point(s) will only make it easier. I think Cruz Azul is the best team and if you can get points from the best team, you are always in good position to advance.

Exactly, TFC just need points in this first game and it will be great for there confidence and should make for an easier move to the second stage. It will be tough though Cruz Azul is built for this competition. They are cup team, not the most dominant league team, but seem to always be hanging around the finals of tournaments like this.

With people worrying about how these extra 6 games will affect them it will all depend on the results of the CCL games. Points and confidence built during the CCL should make for good form in league matches down the stretch.

Looking at TFC's awful away form I really think they need 3 points from this game. I mean they say you need about 10 points to get through so it will break down like this.

Cruz Azul - 3 points

Real Salt Lake - 4 points

Árabe Unido - 4 points

That leaves Toronto with 11 points and I've been generous if they lose at RSL that would be no surprise although they should beat them at BMO, same with Árabe Unido, although they may have more luck playing in Panama. Whatever happens TFC will be in a very bad spot if they don't pick up 3 points at home against Cruz Azul cause I don't see them getting anything down in Mexico

Looking at TFC's awful away form I really think they need 3 points from this game. I mean they say you need about 10 points to get through so it will break down like this.

Cruz Azul - 3 points

Real Salt Lake - 4 points

Árabe Unido - 4 points

That leaves Toronto with 11 points and I've been generous if they lose at RSL that would be no surprise although they should beat them at BMO, same with Árabe Unido, although they may have more luck playing in Panama. Whatever happens TFC will be in a very bad spot if they don't pick up 3 points at home against Cruz Azul cause I don't see them getting anything down in Mexico

They were able to get the draw in Honduras to get here, so I think that will help them in there away games. But I think 6 points against Arabe Unido is the goal and then if you can get 4 against RSL and then all you need is any points vs Cruz Azul and your in.

No Barrett or Maicon, too bad, hopefully Mista starts and DeRo can play his suited role behind the strikers.

-----------------------------------Frei

Gargan(carded?)/Usanov---Nana-Cann--Garcia

---------------Peterson-DeGuzman-LaBrocca

-----------------------------DeRosario

----------------------Mista--------White/Ibrahim

Or do we see a makeshift lineup with some academy guys, not sure how Preki will play this first CCL game. Not sure who is gonna be available to be honest could be some fatigue issues.

The one crucial component to Toronto getting off on the right foot will be finishing. If Preki thinks he can get through this first game on a 1-0 scoreline and bunkering down to close the show, the Reds will be chasing the group from the get go. One goal simply will not suffice against a team of this caliber and as Panamanian side San Francisco saw in their qualifying match, Cruz Azul striker Emanuel Villa erased their 2-1 lead with a hat-trick and the Mexican team walked out with a 3-2 win.

If there has been one small weakness that Cruz Azul has shown at the start of their 2010/11 campaign it is dealing with set pieces. San Francisco’s two goals against them came off a free kick, and in their recent Apertura loss to UNAM, both goals in their 2-0 road loss were from the same spot.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Countdown_TFC_v_Cruz_Azul_august_16_10_news.shtml

Archived