CSA: Canada won't host World Cup until 2034

jpg75

Surprised no one posted this yet...

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=326674

MONTREAL -- Canadian soccer fans hoping to watch the World Cup on home turf are going to have to wait -- for at least another two-and-a-half decades.

Canadian Soccer Association general secretary Peter Montopoli says it's unlikely the men's World Cup could reach Canada before 2034.

Montopoli says with the United States expected to land the 2018 or 2022 World Cup, Canada likely won't get a shot at hosting the event for another 24 years....

Not a surprise. Canada should focus on the Women's World Cup and youth championships.

I don't completely agree with that! I think we're missing the boat on this, we could host the big show! Canada has a better economy than most of the candidates to host the World Cup and some of the infrastructure is already in place! We've proven by hosting three Olympics, and the U20's that we can host large events, I just wish we could have got it together and bid for the next one in our region! Wouldn't it be great to have refurbished or new stadiums from coast to coast! The other factor is this may be our only chance to play in the World Cup in the near future!

I don't have a problem with that. How can we pretend to host a men senior WC when we don't even have a professional football league and also we show a poor level of football? Until we don't have have a pro league and we start improving our level, we don't deserve to host a WC.

I don't completely agree with that! I think we're missing the boat on this, we could host the big show! Canada has a better economy than most of the candidates to host the World Cup and some of the infrastructure is already in place! We've proven by hosting three Olympics, and the U20's that we can host large events, I just wish we could have got it together and bid for the next one in our region! Wouldn't it be great to have refurbished or new stadiums from coast to coast! The other factor is this may be our only chance to play in the World Cup in the near future!

CONCACAF being what it is :rolleyes:, even if we did "get it together" the US or Mexico would have been favourites to land the next World Cup in our region. You seem much more convinced of our ability to host the WC rather than our ability to qualify for it :). I'm not very optimistic about 2014 qualification but after that we could be in a better situation.

CONCACAF being what it is :rolleyes:, even if we did "get it together" the US or Mexico would have been favourites to land the next World Cup in our region. You seem much more convinced of our ability to host the WC rather than our ability to qualify for it :). I'm not very optimistic about 2014 qualification but after that we could be in a better situation.

After 6 failed qualification attempts after our last appearance it is a little difficult to be overly optimistic about qualifying, it seems whatever possibly can go wrong will! I'm not saying we won't qualify in 2014 and my statement about automatic qualification as host is kind of tongue in cheek! I stand by my statement that we could host the event!

What's FIFA's policy on artificial turfs for the WC ...? We don't have that many good stadiums.

Although FIFA does allow qualifying matches to be played on certain artificial surfaces( BMO field U20 WC) I don't think it would be necessary to play any matches on the fake stuff! Grass can be put in any stadium even if it's a temporary measure! Stadiums would need to be refurbished/expanded but we have stadiums in Vancouver (2) Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Regina, Hamilton, Toronto(2), Ottawa and Montreal(2)! It could work IMO! As far as not having a pro league, I don't think that matters so much, we'll have 3 teams in MLS and maybe several USL teams!

I don't have a problem with that. How can we pretend to host a men senior WC when we don't even have a professional football league and also we show a poor level of football? Until we don't have have a pro league and we start improving our level, we don't deserve to host a WC.

What level was the US at when they hosted?

True, but the difference between us and them is their abundance of large stadiums with grass fields. In theory the US could host 3 or 4 world cup using completely different sets of stadiums each time.

I can't believe your are comparing the US team with our MNT. Anyway, since you asked, when they hosted the WC they had a great first round wnning one game and drawing one, which it was good enough to make them play the round of 16.

I can't believe your are comparing the US team with our MNT. Anyway, since you asked, when they hosted the WC they had a great first round wnning one game and drawing one, which it was good enough to make them play the round of 16.

and they qualified in 1990. They even scored a couple goals.

When the US was selected to host the '94 WC they hadn't even qualified for the 1990 WC yet. They were going on almost 40 years without participating and had a series of regional leagues masquerading as pro soccer.

In other news, the sky is still blue.

Canada should not be allowed to host the World Cup until we can show that we can qualify.

I don't see where the quality of the National Team or domestic leagues has a whole lot to do with it! It's more about the infrastructure and ability to host the event!

No reason we couldn't host a hugely successful World Cup.

Of course if you look at our current situation there is gaps, but a World Cup would be a great catalyst to get new grounds built, existing ones renovated! Something a country as wealthy as ours is completely capable of.

The one and only red-flag, the quality of our national team, it's piss poor, and yeah it would be great to qualify as a host, but do we really want to **** the bed on the world stage again like in 2007...

To all the members that believe we do not deserve to host until we can qualify on merit:

If we did hypothetically win a bid for 2022, that is 12 years away. With the focus and scrutiny of hosting such a large event, our national team would be under the microscope, which isn't a bad thing. We could make immediate changes and have enough time for an entirely new generation of players to come to the forefront. Just look at the difference the "Own the Podium" program has made for the Winter Olympics. We just need a catalyst for change.

He wasn't. He was talking physical infrastructure and professional league status.

The US made FIFA so much money. The US MNT could have been 10th ranked in CONCACAF and FIFA still would have gone there in '94. I'm surprised it took them so long. They will go back to the US in 2018. The US wins out over every other country on their ability to draw advertising dollars.

When the US was selected to host the '94 WC they hadn't even qualified for the 1990 WC yet. They were going on almost 40 years without participating and had a series of regional leagues masquerading as pro soccer.

Say whatever you want, my point still stands. Canada with its current situation does not deserve to host a WC right now, I said it before and I don't want to repeat myself again. Let's just hope things change for better in the future.

Archived