CSA: Canada won't host World Cup until 2034

jpg75

The US made FIFA so much money. The US MNT could have been 10th ranked in CONCACAF and FIFA still would have gone there in '94. I'm surprised it took them so long. They will go back to the US in 2018. The US wins out over every other country on their ability to draw advertising dollars.

You sound like Jack Warner. Is the World Cup about to take a hosting lead from the Gold Cup? ;)

and they qualified in 1990. They even scored a couple goals.

I though that the US was not a very good team at that time (ie.: 1990 and 1994). IMHO, they started making a breakthrough in the early part of the decade ( around 2000 or 2001).

I though that the US was not a very good team at that time (ie.: 1990 and 1994). IMHO, they started making a breakthrough in the early part of the decade.

They weren't very good. The announcement that the US would host the tournament was made in 1988 and they hadn't qualified in 38 years at that point. The only reason they made it in 1990 is because Mexico was DQ'd for fielding an overage player in a youth tournament.

Have to agree with both camps on this one. Yes, Canada has the financial where with all to host the World Cup and even has basic stadium infrastructure in place. Although major investment and upgrades would be needed. And, I have no doubt that it would be huge success at the gate. Moreso than most of place that have hosted becasue is one of the very very few places in the world where you'll find people who will pay to come out to support sides like Bolivia, Chile, S Korea... etc who are not traveling fans.

The above is all that really matters. BUT, an organization like FIFA is also concerned about optics, appearance and image. And it would not look good on FIFA right now (given the state of our NT) to have a side of canada's current quality being given an auto berth and playing in the WC finals. Notwithstanding the fact that there were arguably two or three sides at the current WC that were not better

If there wasn't a requirement that the host side is awarded an automatic berth, FIFA would be dying to come here. In fact, the US and canada would be by far and away most suitable places to play if you dont have the host country involved.

If Canada hosted a World Cup, every game would sell out and the tournament would be a massive financial success.

I don't know if it would be a massive financial success because we'd have to build at least 5 new stadiums and they'd remain empty for a long time after, much like what happened to Portugal after Euro 04

I dont think grass is an issue! we can figure something out; for example, we put real grass at the big O in may we can do it in june or may with a fixed roof or whatever ( i know a few of you are laughing)

look, if the CSA appproves us, cant we set up a bidding committee for WC 2022. We need to start somewhere! I am on board for whatever work. I got a couple of lawyer collegues that work in the sports industry we can potentially get something going with us as well in perhaps a pro bono set up.

I don't know if it would be a massive financial success because we'd have to build at least 5 new stadiums and they'd remain empty for a long time after, much like what happened to Portugal after Euro 04

No they wouldn't. The CFL would glady use any empty stadia, and the Big Three cities host enough other events that finding uses for stadia in those centres should not be tough.

We don't need eight 80,000+ capacity stadia to host the WC, as South Africa is proving right now. We only need one over 80,000 for the opener/final, and the rest can range from 40,000-60,000 (which themselves could be downscaled after the tournament, which is also what SA is doing for some of its stadia).

FFS, if South Africa can host a fairly successful WC - with all of the infrastructure problems that country has - why the hell couldn't we?

As for my comment about where the US was when they hosted, I was talking about the team and infrastructure. Their team was awful in 1988 when the US was chosen as host, but that decision acted as a catalyst for not only improving their national team, but also the creation of MLS (which helped their national team in the long run).

If the CSA and Canadian government had any balls at all, they'd bid for (and win) the rights to host the WC within the next 10-12 years. It would be wildly successful here, even more so than it was for the Americans (in terms of bringing the sport into the wider public conciousness).

No they wouldn't. The CFL would glady use any empty stadia, and the Big Three cities host enough other events that finding uses for stadia in those centres should not be tough.

We don't need eight 80,000+ capacity stadia to host the WC, as South Africa is proving right now. We only need one over 80,000 for the opener/final, and the rest can range from 40,000-60,000 (which themselves could be downscaled after the tournament, which is also what SA is doing for some of its stadia).

FFS, if South Africa can host a fairly successful WC - with all of the infrastructure problems that country has - why the hell couldn't we?

As for my comment about where the US was when they hosted, I was talking about the team and infrastructure. Their team was awful in 1988 when the US was chosen as host, but that decision acted as a catalyst for not only improving their national team, but also the creation of MLS (which helped their national team in the long run).

If the CSA and Canadian government had any balls at all, they'd bid for (and win) the rights to host the WC within the next 10-12 years. It would be wildly successful here, even more so than it was for the Americans (in terms of bringing the sport into the wider public conciousness).

The CFL would love it. All their teams would get a nice new stadium or a beautiful tune up. Everyone in the world wants to host the world cup. Why should we get to do it instead of everyone else? It's perhaps a humble canadian attitude i'm exhibiting, but to me, we don't deserve it yet. It think the american population was used as a crutch to makre up for a lack of interest. We lack that.

I would agree 100%.

However if FIFA has resolved the hosting issue already, I think we should moreso invest our energies into the only goal that matters:

qualifying for the next World Cup. If nothing else, we've seen how Mexico and Honduras played in the past month ... they're beatable,

and that means we have excellent chances for qualifying. Better than the chances of hosting the event.

Archived