Domestic XI and European XI

Sam

Argentina is playing a friendly against Ghana this week, which obviously isn't an international break. They are using a purely domestic XI. This seems to happening more and more with non-European nations. Canada also sometimes plays just European XI's in friendlies in Europe, because of the MLS and USL's ignorance of international breaks. So the question is - who would you have as your domestic XI and your European based XI

European:

----------------Hirschfeld-----------------

Stalteri-------McKenna---Edgar-----Klukowski

Peters-------Hutchinson---Bernier---Simpson

------------Jackson--Friend-------------

Domestic:

-----------------Onstad-----------------

Attakora------Hainault---Jakovic------Jazic

---------------Serioux----------------

---------De Guzman--Harmse-------------

Johnson-------------------------De Rosario

----------------Gerba-------------------

----------------Jackson---------Friend------------------

Simpson---------Hutchinson------Ledgerwood------Peters--

Lensky----------Klukowski-------McKenna---------Stalteri

-------------------------Street-------------------------

----------------De Rosario------Gerba------------------

Placentino------De Guzman-------Nash------------Johnson

Brennan---------Hainault--------Serioux---------Jakovic

-------------------------Onstad------------------------

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

European:

----------------Hirschfeld-----------------

Stalteri-------McKenna---Edgar-----Klukowski

Peters-------Hutchinson---Bernier---Simpson

------------Jackson--Friend-------------

Domestic:

-----------------Onstad-----------------

Attakora------Hainault---Jakovic------Jazic

---------------Serioux----------------

---------De Guzman--Harmse-------------

Johnson-------------------------De Rosario

----------------Gerba-------------------

If the two squads were to play, who would win ..............:)

quote:Originally posted by deschamp86

----------------Jackson---------Friend------------------

Simpson---------Hutchinson------Ledgerwood------Peters--

Lensky----------Klukowski-------McKenna---------Stalteri

-------------------------Street-------------------------

----------------De Rosario------Gerba------------------

Placentino------De Guzman-------Nash------------Johnson

Brennan---------Hainault--------Serioux---------Jakovic

-------------------------Onstad------------------------

I have long advocated the 2 team approach. I like your picks except... Lensky might not play for us but we have Edgar as well. On the North American side Nash, Placentino & Onstad? No no and no.

European:

-----------------------Hirschfeld-----------------

Stalteri-------McKenna-----Edgar-----Klukowski

---------------------Hutchinson

-----Peters----------Bernier--------Hoilett

----------------Jackson

-------------------------Friend-------------

Domestic:

--------------------------Onstad-----------------

Attakora--------Hainault-----Jakovic---------------Jazic

---------------------------Gage----------------

--------Johnson------De Guzman-------De Rosario

-----------------Gerba

-------------------------Haber

Don’t really have the personnel to play the same system we have been with the Euros right now IMO. I thought Hoilett looked good playing wide left and a little more withdrawn for Blackburn, which is why I put him there. You could play Hoilett and Jackson off of Friend and play Peters more centrally . . .

Domestically, you could put Harmse in Gage’s spot (or Pozniak). Does Gage still count as domestic? I don’t see a whole lot of use for Jazic going forward, but Brennan is retired right? If I weren’t married to Hainault and Jakovic in the middle, you could easily put Serioux in there and push Jakovic wide, but I think Jakovic’s future is in the middle so we might as well use him there.

The best other options I can think of are very fringe guys slightly out of position like Simon Gatti and Gabe Gala . . . I’d bring Surprenant to the next domestic camp though. LB is a position in flux, though I think Klukowski and DeJong have it pretty well in hand for now.

And a domestic keeper besides Onstad? I’m all ears . . . Latendresse-Lévesque is on loan . . . Djekanovic is probably the only other option? Where is Thomas Lindley now that he’s done at SFU? Everyone I can think of is not in Canada. I forgot David Monsalve went to Finland. I guess there’s Greg Sutton.

I really hope we do make use of our domestic depth and get a group together and play a friendly at some point this winter during the off-season. We’d have enough quality we could forego the traditional kick about with a Carribean minnow and actually play a half-decent team in the western hemisphere.

cheers,

matthew

P.S. I'm not a huge Ribeiro fan, but I'd definitely include Hemming in an 18-man roster. Has anyone seen Chris Williams lately?

Some good ideas for both the domestic and Euro sides, it illustrates how much depth we have in most positions which means competition for places! As far as the Euro side goes, I would certainly have Hume in place of Peters, did everyone forget about him? He's back and playing 90 minutes!

Everyone agrees Macksam - I am sure even the CSA agrees....but the financial side of it holds them back.

The solution has to be more sponsorship which can fund these sorts of things, because they don't make enough off of home friendlies......though a small cup of 3 teams would probably bring in some good cash.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

Everyone agrees Macksam - I am sure even the CSA agrees....but the financial side of it holds them back.

The solution has to be more sponsorship which can fund these sorts of things, because they don't make enough off of home friendlies......though a small cup of 3 teams would probably bring in some good cash.

A good idea. The other solution could be to bring in high profile opponents so they could sell BMO out. That's quite a catch 22, we can't get friendlies because we don't have enough sponsorship money. We don't have enough sponsorship money because we don't play enough friendlies.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

How expensive can it be to send 18 domestic players to Honduras for a couple friendlies in December?

If they can't afford to do this... then what can they do?

This excuse is ridiculous... In December, send some young players from TFC, Vancouver Whitecaps, Montreal and CSL to Central America and get these kids some international experience where they will be playing WCQ in 2012.

How much money seriously... 25 guys $400 (I don't know) flight back and forth = $10,000

12 rooms for 14 nights x $ 100 a night = 16,800

food... equipment... field rentals

These 2 weeks would be perfect money spent to prepare young players for 2012 and would forsure cost less than $50,000... which the CANADIAN soccer association should have. If they don't... make every citizen in Canada give the CSA 1 cent ($330,000) and they could do this trip twice a year for the winters of 2009, 2010, 2011...

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

How much money seriously... 25 guys $400 (I don't know) flight back and forth = $10,000

You think a round-trip flight from anywhere in Canada to anywhere in Honduras costs four hundred dollars? Really??

The cheapest fare I could find from Toronto to Tegucigalpa, any time from now to January, was about $900. And that's with multiple stopovers and limited availability.

However, you've got players coming other Canadian locations, and with the logistic necessity of having them all depart and arrive at around the same time (meaning you can't pick the cheapest fare, you've got to pick a very specific one), well, let's just say your estimate is probably quite a bit off the mark.

quote:Originally posted by relegated

I believe the Mexican league takes a break at Christmas. It would be great to see a tournament with US, Canada and Mexico domestic teams at this time.

As much as this is a great idea, I believe that it would be a difficult thing to do to ask the players to leave their families at this time. Christmas time may be one of those "do not touch" times of year.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

As much as this is a great idea, I believe that it would be a difficult thing to do to ask the players to leave their families at this time. Christmas time may be one of those "do not touch" times of year.

We used to have an U-20 camps every year around that time and a MNT early in January. I think it would be possible at some point in January to organize that kind of friendlies with the amount of Canadians playing in MLS/USL.

Euro :

---------------Hirschfeld------------------

Stalteri----Mckenna----Klukowski----De Jong

Hume-------Hutchinson---Bernier-------Hoilett

---------Jackson---------------------------

---------------------Friend----------------

*Simpson on the left should Junior Hoilett decide not to play for us

bench: Peters, Ornoch, Lensky, Street, Edgar, Ledgerwood, Nakajima-Farran

Domestic :

-----------------Onstad---------------------

Attakora----Hainault---Jakovic--------Jazic

Johnson----De Guzman---Serioux-----De Rosario

-----------Gerba------Edwini-Bonsu----------

Bench: Suprenant, Gage, Harmse, Gala, Djekanovic, Haber, Hemming

Best XI at this moment. Tam can play friendlies which is all we're playing until June 2011.

European:

-----------------Lars-----------------

Stalteri---McKenna---Edgar---Klukowski

Hoilett---Hutchinson-Nsaliwa---Simpson

------------Jackson--Friend-----------

Domestic:

---------------Onstad---------------

Attakora---Serioux-Jakovic-----Jazic

--Johnson-----DeGuzman----Ribiero---

---------------DeRo-----------------

---------Gerba------Gbeke-----------

Archived