TFC@Impact thread [R]

TFC needs four goals

By LANCE HORNBY, SUN MEDIA

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2009/06/17/9827051-sun.html

Toronto FC talks boldly of putting four on the floor tomorrow night when it drives to Montreal for a showdown with the Impact in the Nutrilite Canadian Championship.

But winning by four goals is a tall order for a team that has only scored that many once in its three-year history, back on Father's Day 2007 against Dallas. But after being written off in this tournament since a 2-0 loss in Vancouver June 2 put them in this awful goal differential hole, TFC is relishing its underdog role.

"Everyone I've spoken to and heard from have said we can't do it," midfielder Carl Robinson said. "I like to prove people wrong. We'll go into the game with that mentality and anything we get will be a bonus."

Coach Chris Cummins' first instinct might be to send the whole team charging at the Impact goal in helter skelter fashion, but he assures there'll be an organized plan.

"We've managed it once in franchise history, so it's do-able," Cummins said. "If we split the game into four quarters, we can score once every 22 minutes. We don't have to go gung ho, blow the doors and attack, attack. We're not going to panic if we don't score in the first 15 or 20 minutes."

Toronto beat both Montreal and the Vancouver Whitecaps 1-0 at BMO Field, but failure to pile on the goals when they had the chance leaves the club in danger of missing the CONCACAF Champions League a second straight year and giving the berth to one of the two lower-rung United Soccer League entries.

"It's like dangling a carrot in front of us, if we want to advance, we have to get the four," striker Danny Dichio said. "People say we have to score in the first 10 minutes, but we need to get something in the first half to put them on their back foot.

"The way our team is playing, we've had a lot of chances, but we have to bury them. Of course, you can't go up the field with eight and just leave three guys back. We have to be aware of the counter-attack.

"I've been in games down four nil at halftime and come back. So anything can happen. That's why they call this the beautiful game."

Cummins didn't work the team too hard yesterday and ditto for today as he anticipates running them hard 90 minutes in Montreal.

"We've looked at a lot of formations," he said. "You'll probably see as many strikers as you ever have. We went 3-4-3 on the weekend (an MLS win over New York), we can plan a 4-4-3 with attacking options and we might go 3-5-2. Or we might go with just two at the back if we need the goals later on in the game.

"It's like a Cup final for (the Impact), they're not going to take it lightly. But we'll leave everything on the pitch. We'll be getting this weekend off (from regular MLS action), so I'll be asking an extra 1% from everyone."

TFC close to Gerba

Toronto FC general manager Mo Johnston indicated yesterday he was very close to signing Ali Gerba, a Canadian forward whose rights were obtained in last week's Nick Garcia trade ... Defender Jim Brennan (ankle) should play tomorrow ... Forward and first-round pick O'Brian White, out all year with an ACL injury, has begun light practice with the team.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copied from another thread.

Some news from the Montreal Impact Backline.

According to Radio Canada Cédric Joqueviel and Adam Braz will not play, They are still hurt, same for Nevio but he should be back this week end against Vancouver. Also Zanzan just left Montreal for Togo to play in WCQ. Finally Stefano Pesoli is ready to play, he won't start but he should be on the bench.

Up front Eduardo Sebrango will not be there, he left for Cuba for family reasons.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

TFC needs four goals

By LANCE HORNBY, SUN MEDIA

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2009/06/17/9827051-sun.html

Toronto FC talks boldly of putting four on the floor tomorrow night when it drives to Montreal for a showdown with the Impact in the Nutrilite Canadian Championship.

But winning by four goals is a tall order for a team that has only scored that many once in its three-year history, back on Father's Day 2007 against Dallas. But after being written off in this tournament since a 2-0 loss in Vancouver June 2 put them in this awful goal differential hole, TFC is relishing its underdog role.

"Everyone I've spoken to and heard from have said we can't do it," midfielder Carl Robinson said. "I like to prove people wrong. We'll go into the game with that mentality and anything we get will be a bonus."

Coach Chris Cummins' first instinct might be to send the whole team charging at the Impact goal in helter skelter fashion, but he assures there'll be an organized plan.

"We've managed it once in franchise history, so it's do-able," Cummins said. "If we split the game into four quarters, we can score once every 22 minutes. We don't have to go gung ho, blow the doors and attack, attack. We're not going to panic if we don't score in the first 15 or 20 minutes."

Toronto beat both Montreal and the Vancouver Whitecaps 1-0 at BMO Field, but failure to pile on the goals when they had the chance leaves the club in danger of missing the CONCACAF Champions League a second straight year and giving the berth to one of the two lower-rung United Soccer League entries.

"It's like dangling a carrot in front of us, if we want to advance, we have to get the four," striker Danny Dichio said. "People say we have to score in the first 10 minutes, but we need to get something in the first half to put them on their back foot.

"The way our team is playing, we've had a lot of chances, but we have to bury them. Of course, you can't go up the field with eight and just leave three guys back. We have to be aware of the counter-attack.

"I've been in games down four nil at halftime and come back. So anything can happen. That's why they call this the beautiful game."

Cummins didn't work the team too hard yesterday and ditto for today as he anticipates running them hard 90 minutes in Montreal.

"We've looked at a lot of formations," he said. "You'll probably see as many strikers as you ever have. We went 3-4-3 on the weekend (an MLS win over New York), we can plan a 4-4-3 with attacking options and we might go 3-5-2. Or we might go with just two at the back if we need the goals later on in the game.

"It's like a Cup final for (the Impact), they're not going to take it lightly. But we'll leave everything on the pitch. We'll be getting this weekend off (from regular MLS action), so I'll be asking an extra 1% from everyone."

TFC close to Gerba

Toronto FC general manager Mo Johnston indicated yesterday he was very close to signing Ali Gerba, a Canadian forward whose rights were obtained in last week's Nick Garcia trade ... Defender Jim Brennan (ankle) should play tomorrow ... Forward and first-round pick O'Brian White, out all year with an ACL injury, has begun light practice with the team.

Sneaky :D

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Sneaky :D

An extra man worked for the Penguins...

As for the end result, I think it's either 1-1 or Montreal sneaks away with a victory. In some sense, it's a bit of a disadvantage being in a more prestigious league, since TFC will always get Vancouver's and Montreal's best game (regardless of whom Van/Mtl send onto the pitch). At the same time, TFC's talent advantage isn't so great as to be able to easily overcome the passion (for want of a better word) disadvantage.

Go Caps!

With that many players gone for this one, I think it's going to take everything the Impact's got to keep it from getting out of hand. The Caps better have a nice big Thank You package on the way if Montreal manages to come out without getting totally embarrassed.

quote:Originally posted by MastaK

What will our backline look like?

Gatti, XX, Mayard, De Roux?

Pretty young backline...

Here is my starting 11

<center>--------------------------Matt Jordan--------------------------------

-----Simon Gatti-----Stefano Pisoli--Elkana Mayard----Stephen Deroux-

-----Felix Brillant--David Testo--Sandro Grande---Leo DiLorenzo------

---------------------Joey Gjertsen--Roberto Brown--------------------</center>

Possible changes might be;

Sekuda in for Pesoli

Byers in for Gjertsen or Brown

Donatelli in for Brillant

Pierre Rudolph Mayard in for Testo or Brillant

Placentino in for DiLo

Alex Suprenant in for Deroux

Guest Jeffery S.

TFC really has some coach, the guy's a genius:

He forgot to add: "But after that we are definitely going to panic, go gung ho and blow the doors, because if we don't score before the 22nd minute my whole game plan is blown".

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

He forgot to add: "But after that we are definitely going to panic, go gung ho and blow the doors, because if we don't score before the 22nd minute my whole game plan is blown".

Be fair...there's an implied [on average] there. That is, "we have to score once every 22 minutes [on average]..."

Geez Jeffery.. think Cummins was smart enough to download a Torrent from Torreon and have it on the TFC bus playing on the drive to Montreal ?

Seriously he sounds like the u16 coach he is... if TFC do win the game, it will be a result of the players organising themselves for the run out .. not by the coaching TFC Manager Mo is offering up with his coach.

If TFC happens to suffer a loss in this game .. i.e. a real score of 2 to 0, the TFC fans will need to become much more vocal about what is wrong under the leadership of MoJo...

Sounds like a steady diet of route one long ball directed towards the Impact penalty area.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Sounds like a steady diet of route one long ball directed towards the Impact penalty area.

Having seen Srdjan (assuming he's starting tomorrow) a couple of time, he doesn't always look comfortable with high balls. Sending him a couple of those early on to see how he reacts with DD challenging would seem like a good idea to me.

BTW, for those criticizing Cummins, how do the best in the business react in interviews when they are facing this kind of challenge? Seriously, his comments seems to be right out of the 3 playoffs games down NHL or NBA coach book. First you say it's possible, then you say you'll go one goal/win at the time and then you say if things aren't going well early on we won't panic. Not sure what he can say to impress the gallery here?

Guest Jeffery S.

There is really only one plan TFC can have: score early and get on a run. That is the standard one, the one everyone will talk about anywhere. Get an early goal, make the rival nervous, and exploit the situation.

On the contrary, Montreal will have a single game plan: control the game early, don't let it get out of control, and play our game. Try not to think about the result. If we can keep TFC off the board they will get nervous, be forced to push forwards, and we'll have more space to hit them on the counter.

The advantage Montreal has is that they don't have to take any risks, ever. They know that TFC has to break them down, even up 0-2 TFC cannot expect Montreal to open up to look for the result, making it harder for them to create attacking plays with Montreal sitting back.

And I believe this will be the game at the start: TFC coming out hard to get that goal before m. 15 and get some momentum, Montreal trying to play soccer, without taking too many risks, and trying to keep TFC off the board early. What happens after depends on whether TFC get in front or not, and how early.

And: loyola, re Srdjan. Look at his stats. Whatever people think about this or that ability of weakness, his stats say he can handle it. Everywhere he has ever played. He had the best GA at TFC last year. A virtue: he organizes his defence well and is very communicative. A possible defect: he has not played that much this year, you would have thought he could have gotten more than the one game.

Jeffrey S. I've never said Srdjan can't handle it. I'm just saying that a keeper who hasn't been playing for a while, who IMO has been average on cross with a fairly new defense is due for a couple of early crosses just to see how he reacts.

Srdjan is capable of a clean sheet against TFC, no doubt about it, but I was merely suggesting that route one football might not be that bad to test that defense.

According to the official website this morning, Pesoli will be making his return at CB alongside the surprisingly solid rookie Mayard. He is a very steadying influence. It looks as though they are more or less playing their best available players.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Don't be surprised if Antiguan international Byers starts up front for Montreal. He's a fantastic little striker, and he will want to re-earn a spot in Montreal's starting 11. I won't be too concerned if I see him start tonight.

So now Antigua is a country, just because we need a result? [:P]

I see this more as a midfield battle. Grande and Testo will need to be solid for this one. Despite not making it to the Champs. League, those two need to regain the Champs. League form they'd found so that the game doesn't turn into wave after wave of TFC's attacks. Di Lorenzo could play an interesting part in this one depending on where he is put on the pitch. It will be interesting to see if Mayard, DeRoux, and Gatti will be able to handle all the presure.

Archived