TFC@Impact thread [R]

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

If your truly an Impact Supporter, like they did in Peru. In the next USL game, throw beer bottles and anything at the players to send them a message to never forget that shameful display. I thought Canada had hit a new low, but this takes the cake.

New low for Vnacouver... last I checked, more Canadians live in Toronto than Vancouver...

Besides, how hard is it to play a meaningless game, against a superior opponent? Really... if I was an impact player, I'd have a hard time motivating myself, especially knowing I have a more IMPORTANT game on Sat against the Whitecaps.

As much as I hate Montreal (the team, not the city) right now and I feel like starting a boycott of Saputo products, We don't have the luxury in this country of this sort of thing in this country. We need a healthy Montreal team. I'd like to see Stade Saputo expanded, Montreal get into MLS, get lots of fans...but fail miserably on the pitch. Jerks.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

And people gave me a hard time for discussing this possibility on another thread. [:0] The moment Dos Santos made those statements I knew TFC had a good chance. Not over yet though obviously.

And you were telling a poster recently to learn english????

No one said there wasn't a need to avoid such a situation (actually everyone agreed) the argument that was presented was that the rule to force "full strenght" squad would be almost impossible to enforce and they were no precedent to a team being forced to play his best players in a similar situation.

Anyways, I'm not sure how to look at this game. Surely it's tough to give full credit to TFC but people spent the last weeks saying they wouldn't be able to do it and they did.

The CSA must find a way to avoid that in the future and a final between team 1 and 2 would be the best way to avoid such a situation IMO.

I can't blame MTL for playing their B side, they had everything to lose playing their best players. I remember when The Netherland played Romania last year in the Euro and the game had a direct impact on the Italy and France chances to qualify for the next round, pretty much everyone agreed here that The Netherlands had the right to play their reserves because they had nothing to gain from the game. Why is this different for MTL?

Congrats TFC. Sadly this situation wasn't your fault and you had no chance to look like true winners toward the fans of the game(except yours of course) whatever the outcome of the game would be.

quote:Originally posted by kyam

New low for Vnacouver... last I checked, more Canadians live in Toronto than Vancouver...

Besides, how hard is it to play a meaningless game, against a superior opponent? Really... if I was an impact player, I'd have a hard time motivating myself, especially knowing I have a more IMPORTANT game on Sat against the Whitecaps.

Wow..honestly..did you see the same game as me...the Impact didn't even try to play. Credits to TFC they came out gunning like crazy, as I expected. You don't really need motivation to play, but at least "try" to play rather than just letting the opponent all over the field. Even if the stadium were half empty, give the fans something to cheer. If nothing play for pride and for fun, as you got nothing to lose, but not to let the team score so many goals. Like I said, I hold no gripes against TFC, but I hold the Impact responsible for not trying and even "throwing" the game purpose or not.

Are you kidding? Half of those players were playing for their positions. How can you not get up for a game against a team in from a so-called superior league?

I'll be honest, after Toronto scored the 5th goal I was SOOOOO cheering for Montreal to net one. Wee Elf thinks I'm mad, but she caught onto the logic at the end.

SIX goals. SIX! On the road! Let's see Montreal recover from that. Let's see what TFC can do from here.

Couple of hundred fans who came up from Toronto on a week night are looking like geniuses now aren't they?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

And you were telling a poster recently to learn english????

No one said there wasn't a need to avoid such a situation (actually everyone agreed) the argument that was presented was that the rule to force "full strenght" squad would be almost impossible to enforce and they were no precedent to a team being forced to play his best players in a similar situation.

Not touching the first comment beyond pointing out that it is not an accurate description of what I wrote. I won't respond to any follow ups on that. On the rest of the post, I'll point out that I had comments like this in mind more than the rule angle:-

quote:I like how this went from an article saying that MDS might leave 1-3 players off the roster, to some people saying Montreal are "throwing the game" and "laying down and dying".

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

Are you kidding? Half of those players were playing for their positions. How can you not get up for a game against a team in from a so-called superior league?

I dunno about Superior League, but definitely superior team... even if you absolutely hate TFC, you gotta admit, the clutch scoring from De-Ro and company is too much to compete against...

TFC wanted to win that game... even if the reserve players were fighting for their positions, theirs a reason they aren't on the Impact's first team...

The players that were on the first team should be more worried about the Whitecaps game on Sat...

So..next USL game is Vancouver vs Montreal..why do I sense this will be a "Battle of Santiago" with cards flying, elbows, intent to injure and nastiness. I don't mind rivalries, but not in this taste. The Caps will sure make a statement in the game, win or lose.

quote:Originally posted by orletafc

Now the Question begs: Did any Impact players take a dive? We will see if someone buys a new car(might be the coach, lol)

Apparently giving a jersey to the Ref is considered a bribe now, just as Blanco from Chicago :)

I dunno about Superior League, but definitely superior team... even if you absolutely hate TFC, you gotta admit, the clutch scoring from De-Ro and company is too much to compete against...

TFC wanted to win that game... even if the reserve players were fighting for their positions, theirs a reason they aren't on the Impact's first team...

The players that were on the first team should be more worried about the Whitecaps game on Sat...

I believe I said "so-called" superior league. That is what should have motivated them.

I see "there" instead of "they're" and "their" all the time, but that's the first time I've ever seen "theirs" instead of "there's". Sorry, I just found that fascinating.

This just twittered.

According to eye witness accounts from Stade Saputo reclusive Whitecap owner Greg Kerfoot, traveling incognito with his Vancouver Whitecap Football Club to Montreal in the hopes of being part of the V's Cup trophy presentation, was seen post-match in the players tunnel repeatedly kicking Joey Saputo in the nuts during the trophy presentation to Toronto.

Video to follow.

Archived