TFC@Impact thread [R]

quote:Originally posted by kyam

Lets be clear, Montreal is not the first team in this tournament not to take a game seriously.

The only reason TFC did not win last year was because they played the tourny like it was a mickey mouse championship (to the disappointment of fans)

They played a number of Reserve players over 1st team players. The fact that 18 yr old Julius James and the useless Marco Velez were seen as go-to guys proves the state of TFC's attitude in the dressing room.

With the way TFC has played in this tournament, they could have blown out the Whitecaps and the Impact in the first two games if it wasn't for their lack luster finish.

So if TFC fans should be ashamed of their win, Montreal Impact fans should have been ashamed of their entire CCL Run, because they knocked out a depleted TFC team full of 2nd string players.

(Nevermind the Impact not having to defeat TFC to qualify)

Julius James was one month shy of 24 during the Voyageurs Cup matches last year.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by marktci

Julius James was one month shy of 24 during the Voyageurs Cup matches last year.

Yep, your right, my bad. But the point is, Julius James came to TFC, fresh out of PDL, he was an MLS rookie.

This season, he is on contract with Houston, however, they ended up sending him back down to USL-1 on loan with Minnesota, since he couldn't crack the 1st team (and due to the elimination of the Reserve Division)

Julius James made 10 MLS starts for Toronto last season, so it's hard to argue that he was a total newb.

Whether or not he was good enough for MLS is one thing, but apparently he was good enough to be a regular feature of the Toronto back four last year.

The only reason TFC did not win last year was because they played the tourny like it was a mickey mouse championship (to the disappointment of fans)

They played a number of Reserve players over 1st team players. The fact that 18 yr old Julius James and the useless Marco Velez were seen as go-to guys proves the state of TFC's attitude in the dressing room.

Dude, what are you talking about?

Velez and James were both regulars. Just because James was an MLS rookie, does not mean TFC didn't take it seriously by playing him.

The team just sucked.

Toronto played two MLS rookies on Thursday night, Frei and Cronin. Plus Velez also played in the second half (one of only two defenders at one point) as the team pressed forward. Does that mean TFC didn't take it seriously this year, too?

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Dude, what are you talking about?

Velez and James were both regulars. Just because James was an MLS rookie, does not mean TFC didn't take it seriously by playing him.

The team just sucked.

Toronto played two MLS rookies on Thursday night, Frei and Cronin. Plus Velez also played in the second half (one of only two defenders at one point) as the team pressed forward. Does that mean TFC didn't take it seriously this year, too?

I considered the back four regulars to be Jim Brennen, Tyrone Marshall, Marco Velez and Marvell Wynne, with Julius James on the outside.

But I agree with your point that TFC was an awful team last year. Ultimately the torny came down to the last game on the strength of a single goal.

With Guevara missing in the first two games, TFC was missing one of its biggest offensive threats. And as much as I liked Abdus Ibrahim, to substitute such a young player in, in the last minutes of the most decisive game (July 22nd) is questionable.

And you can't tell me that the regulars were playing to their full potential... Laurent Robert was always lazy, but I found him to be particularly lazy in the NCC.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Djekanovic was also at fault on Barrett's goal. Barrett was standing 4 yards from the goaline, in the middle of the goal area. The goalie should have had claimed that ball and either caught it or punched it.

That the way I saw it as well. The ball came down and hit Barrett in head rather than him going to meet it. I don't think Barrett even left his feet. As I recall, corners and crosses were exactly what I recall were Djekanovic's weaknesses when in TFC's first year.

And you can't tell me that the regulars were playing to their full potential... Laurent Robert was always lazy, but I found him to be particularly lazy in the NCC.

I wondered last year, if some of the players were trying to avoid having to fly to Nicarauga mid-week. Guevara certainly looked like he was playing to go ... but some of the others I'm not so sure.

quote:Originally posted by nfitz

I wondered last year, if some of the players were trying to avoid having to fly to Nicarauga mid-week. Guevara certainly looked like he was playing to go ... but some of the others I'm not so sure.

The CCL is his torny. Guevara having starred in the Hondurus 1st Division is always ready for a CONCACAF Torny. Which is why I thought he was dearly missed in the first two games last year.

Montreal added insult to injury there! I guess Montreal's strategy paid off, from the rested players angle at least; I'm not sure the psychological angle was planned ... I can't imagine Montreal thought for a minute they'd loose by 5 goals!

Well, at least the Whitecaps fans can say they aren't alone in feeling a sense of being robbed.

The US MNT benefited from the same fate as TFC did in the Confederations Cup... Earlier, the US lost 3-1 against Italy, 3-nil against Brasil...

However, today, the USA defeats Egypt 3-nil. Italy loses to Brasil 3-nil.

Therefore, US qualify for the FIFA Confederations Cup Semis, Italy has been eliminated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8109263.stm

Guest Jeffery S.

Well, at least the Whitecaps fans can say they aren't alone in feeling a sense of being robbed.

The US MNT benefited from the same fate as TFC did in the Confederations Cup... Earlier, the US lost 3-1 against Italy, 3-nil against Brasil...

Therefore, US qualify for the FIFA Confederations Cup Semis, Italy has been eliminated.

Totally and absolutely different. Until the last second a goal from either Egypt or Italy would have qualified either. Vancouver did not have that option at all, we were dependent on a result of a game held well after we were finished.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Totally and absolutely different. Until the last second a goal from either Egypt or Italy would have qualified either. Vancouver did not have that option at all, we were dependent on a result of a game held well after we were finished.

If the US-Egypt game was scheduled literally an hour later than it was, then Italy would have had no control just like the Whitecaps.

Instead, the score for the US-Egypt game was announced mid-way through the game. I'm sure Lippi would have played a more defensive game if he knew the US-Egypt score before the game started.

But if you want a mirror image of what happened with the Whitecaps, that's not going to happen, because very few (or none at all) countries have a 3 team torny to decide a National Champion.

How are those the same, at all?

Djekanovic was brutal on the night, no doubt, as was his D after the 60 minute mark. But after several days reflection, must say a good part of the blame for that ****-storm served up Thursday night would be Sportsnet for moving the game to a Thursday night, less than 48 hours before Montreal's league game. That is pure bush league. A Wednesday night game would have been so much more bearable for Montreal.

Archived