DeRo has been traded to Toronto!

TFC07

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm told DeRo asked for this trade shortly after he learned from Dominic Kinnear that he was indeed going to emphasie a quicker pace and that he would be making changes towards a younger team (Holden & Cameron getting some of DeRo's playing time). DeRo's reaction was the trade request to TFC. DK obliged, its tough to move a $400k contract, so receptive trading partners are few and far between. Mo had the upper hand and now Houston has the financial flexibility to go down that desired path, acquiring allocation $$$ and moving DeRo's big contract.

Yes Houston deserved more, but I'm hearing DK was anxious to move forward, so maybe something bigger is up for the Dynamo???

DeRo, at 30, still has a great work rate. He hustles, he won't quit and yeah he'll start slowing down but he'll still be effective in the MLS. Sort of like Mo was when he first landed in KC.

How many of you remember watching Mo in KC?

Except for his last season, he was still contributing in his mid to late 30's.

This is a good deal for both clubs.

He stood out when he was a young boy playing for North Scarborough. I remember watching him at L'Am and McLevin. Never did it dawn that he would become one of Canada's best footballers.

Well done Dwayne! Welcome home.

and Welcome back to Brandy and the little ones.

He's under contract to 2010.

YofB: 1978 (age 30) Height 5'11"

San Jose Earthquakes = 107 games (25 goals)

Houston Dynamo = 75 games (24 goals)

CNMT = 49 games, (15 goals)

4 time MLS Cup Champion (2001,2003, 2006, 2007)

2 time MLS Cup MVP (2001 & 2007)

2004 & 2005 MLS Goal of the Year recipient

I'm sure we won't be waiting much longer for Vanderkolk to start sniffing around and take credit for DeRo's development.

So,

Now we have to hope that Carver can use him properly!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Best move made by Mo as TFC GM by several light years. I can't believe we got him so cheap. In fact, I think they basically took a player we didn't want or need off our hands, much in the same way that Seattle did.

Wow, 4 Canucks on the senior roster and with Nana & Rosenlund as possibilities to join we might see TFC turning into the "Canadian" team that we have all been hoping for.

I wonder what happens with Guevara though - having two players in midfield that both demand the ball usually doesn't work, although I guess they might play De Ro as an out & out winger when Guevara is not on int'l duty (which he will be half the time thanks to Canada)

I too was surprised that they got him for so cheap. Perhaps Houston is clearing cap room for another move or perhaps the stories that Dero was looking at europe were true, and Houston figured that they were going to lose him anyway.

I dont see any conflict at all with Guevara. Guevara plays in the middle just behind the fwds whereas DeRo plays now mostly on the wing. Else, he was play upfront. The move just strengthens the MF and gives the team more attacking options and they just might not look as predictable in moving the ball up field ( as was becomming apparent later in the year)

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I dont see any conflict at all with Guevara. Guevara plays in the middle just behind the fwds whereas DeRo plays now mostly on the wing.

That's not where he was regularly playing for Houston and that's where he's been most successful in this league. They are both players that demand the ball in the middle of the park, so I don't think it will be an easy fit unless they marginalize De Ro's role somewhat by putting him out on a wing.

That's not where he was regularly playing for Houston and that's where he's been most successful in this league. They are both players that demand the ball in the middle of the park, so I don't think it will be an easy fit unless they marginalize De Ro's role somewhat by putting him out on a wing.

I haven't been able to see him in MLS action as much as I'd like, but I was under the impression that his best performances with Houston were as a free role attacker, primarily centrally positioned yet given license to go to flank space to get the ball and more isolated 1 v 1 matchups. Perhaps I'm overrating it a tad, but that's what it seemed to me. Mind you, based on what I have seen of him both in MLS but mainly with the CMNT, I tend to prefer him on the left side of the park, where he can then dribble inland and get off a right footed shot from distance or release a telling pass. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the two players can work it out.

I agree with G-L....I just can't see a lineup that includes both Guevara and DDR.

If they can somehow make it work, great but i think this might be a sign that those Guevara to Honduras stories from last week might have some basis in fact.

With DeRo on board (and not having any significant MNT duties) why not move the Guevara contract, especially since he'll be away a fair bit for WCQ.

Ah but Guevara actually started his MLS career out on the wing if memory serves. I see the confict, but there's also a lot of potential synergy here.

TFC has very few players who can control the pace of the game. This just adds one extra.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Would people be making this argument if it were Atiba Hutchinson rather than Amado Guevara that was involved or would they just be happy to have two very good players on the roster and trust the personalities involved not to act like prima donnas?

Agreed and other than the one Red Card, the guy pretty much kept quiet throughout the season. If we were going to judge the guy on one incident a year, well there are plenty of other players we could be throwing under the bus, but with Amado it's just fashionalbe to do so.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Would people be making this argument if it were Atiba Hutchinson rather than Amado Guevara that was involved or would they just be happy to have two very good players on the roster and trust the personalities involved not to act like prima donnas?

No. But Amado Guevara isn't Atiba Hutchinson. Hutch brings very good defensive abilities and is less needy for the ball to be at his best, regardless of his role on the day.

I don't believe you can say the same for Guevara. DDR & Guevara together in the middle? I'd like to see if Carver has it in him to make that work effectively.

On another note. With Robinson, Guevara and DDR on the payroll now roughly 1/2 of TFC's salary cap in already covered. That is interesting. Especially when you consider the clubs defense is still crap

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

No. But Amado Guevara isn't Atiba Hutchinson. Hutch brings very good defensive abilities and is less needy for the ball to be at his best, regardless of his role on the day.

I don't believe you can say the same for Guevara. DDR & Guevara together in the middle? I'd like to see if Carver has it in him to make that work effectively.

On another note. With Robinson, Guevara and DDR on the payroll now roughly 1/2 of TFC's salary cap in already covered. That is interesting. Especially when you consider the clubs defense is still crap

I wouldn't worry about it, they replaced Carlos Ruiz's 400k with DDR's, so no change, they removed julius james from the books and have 800k in allocation, they are sitting pretty right now.

Story up at ASN.

http://tfc.american-soccer-news.com/

Carver often plays with a 4-2-3-1 if everybody's fit. Dwayne can fit in anywhere in that front 4, but realistically, his best position is attacking mid (Guevara's role). If there's room at the club for both, that's great, but I have a feeling either Ruiz and/or Guevara will be on their way out before the first game of 09.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am looking forward to seeing TFC vs. Whitecaps for the V-Cup next season, esp with DeRo playing for them.

Last time round TFC was superior to us despite the tie, but really there was no one on that side to get excited about. That and knowing how great the Concacaf Champions is, seeing Montreal doing so great this year, is going to make that whole competition really hot.

Dictionary heads up. 'Resign' - to give up an office or position. 'Re-sign' - to ink a new contract. The departure of Ruiz is almost as sweet as the signing of Pwamme.

Dero was making 600k at Houston wasn't he?

So he is the DP and only 400k counts against the cap even if he got a raise. AM gets 200k so that is a total of 600k.

Total cap is 2 mil so there is still 1.4 to go around. The ditching of Ruiz contract covers it so this is a huge win for TFC all around.

Marketting the team with a local boy, let go dead weight and sign a great player, solidify the midfield for when AM goes on WCQ duties, and give up next to nothing to do it!

This is just a win all around for TFC.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I am looking forward to seeing TFC vs. Whitecaps for the V-Cup next season, esp with DeRo playing for them.

Last time round TFC was superior to us despite the tie, but really there was no one on that side to get excited about. That and knowing how great the Concacaf Champions is, seeing Montreal doing so great this year, is going to make that whole competition really hot.

Yes, the V-Cup next year will be very hotly contested, which is awesome for Canadian soccer.

I'll stop my post right here, lest Grizzly jump in and call me cocky now. :D

"Guess that's the end of Ruiz then" Crap! I'd forgotten about that. Now I'm disappointed. I love watching Ruiz...um...when he...uhhhh...what is it he does again? Excellent point. Night and day watching Ruiz and De Ro.

TFC picked up De Ro? TFC as in Toronto FC? Next you'll be telling me the CSA signed a decent manager.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Yes, the V-Cup next year will be very hotly contested, which is awesome for Canadian soccer.

I'll stop my post right here, lest Grizzly jump in and call me cocky now. :D

Rudi, I much prefer the usual banter and small-time trash talking when it comes to the Impact, TFC and Caps, to a lot of the other stuff here. There was a real atmosphere for the TFC visit last year to Swangard, I can only hope that if I am in TO for a Whitecaps visit one of you will be so kind as to find me a ticket in 114 even though I'd be fifth column.

Archived