DeRo has been traded to Toronto!

TFC07

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DDR has been over rated for many years. It's tough for me to sit here as a Canadian after watching his disgraceful WCQ campaign, and say that this move will make any impact with TFC. He lacks passing skills, and game knowledge, and repeatedly gets himself into trouble by just running AT players(as opposed to around them). Finish it off with two childish bookings in Qualifying, and I say you can have him. He's over the hill, and well beyond his prime.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

DDR has been over rated for many years. It's tough for me to sit here as a Canadian after watching his disgraceful WCQ campaign, and say that this move will make any impact with TFC. He lacks passing skills, and game knowledge, and repeatedly gets himself into trouble by just running AT players(as opposed to around them). Finish it off with two childish bookings in Qualifying, and I say you can have him. He's over the hill, and well beyond his prime.

7 goals and 2 assists won't help a team that finished nearly last?

you've got to be joking.

You sound jealous. If he signed with the Whitecaps I don't think you would use adjectives like "over the hill" or "beyond his prime" to describe DeRo. You would likley be more than happy to aquire him, which is what I see from TFC fans.

However, your mainpoint is still holds some weight. I also feel like TFC fans are getting too excited over this and expectations shouldn't been too great. After all, the reason's for Dero's success in MLS are (1) His role at Houston, and (2) Benifit of playing with the same teamates year in and year out.

(1) His role at Houston was attacking midfield (as far as I could tell), but what will it be at TFC? Will TFC play both DeRo AND Guevara as creative attacking midfields (like DeRo and JDG sometimes do for Canada), or will he be pushed out wide? If TFC dont find a striker DP, or if they find a striker DP who underpreforms, will he play upfront? .....He may excell at ANY, or NEITHER of these roles. My point is, there are alot of question marks with this trade, so I hope people don't think this automaticlly means a playoff birth next year.

(2) I don't think DERO is going to come in right away and have an immediate impact, he may score a few highlight goals (as he always seems to do), but for the first quarter, or third of the season, he will still be trying to define his role with the team, and get use to his teamates (2 things he never had to do at the beginning of last season with Houston). And speaking of last season, this year wasn't his best, so will he rediscover his form next year while trying to get use to a new team, new coach, etc? possible ...but lets wait and see before getting excited

0.5/10 for that troll. The half point is for the typing effort only.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

0.5/10 for that troll. The half point is for the typing effort only.

How is that post in any way trolling? That is his opinion and if you don't share it that is your right as well. I agree with most of it though I still think DeRo will improve TFC and I would also take him for the Impact as well though not at that salary. I just don't think he will make the huge difference everyone seems to expect but if they can upgrade some of the other positions surrounding him he will probably be a valuable addition to the team.

DeRo had a lot of wear and tear on him this past year.

In 2008, he played with Houston in the CONCACAF Champions Cup, Pan Pacific Championship, SuperLiga, US Open Cup, CONCACAF Champions League and the MLS regular and post seasons.

He also played a handful of games for Canada.

I'm hopeful that with a far reduced schedule, and in front of his hometown support week in and week out, he'll be rejuvenated.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

And I'm hopeful that he will show the same form he did in the last WCQ!:D

DeRo has proven to be a quality MLS player, and that's how he should be measured in this situation. As has been alluded to by Obinna, I think he'll need some time to adjust/adapt. As long as he doesn't suddenly develop injury problems, DeRo will have a positive impact upon this franchise.

Guest Jeffery S.

I happen to agree with the technical analysis RJB does of DeRo, as it coincides almost exactly with my assessment of his skills: he runs himself into a hole, away from players, ignoring his teammates and then being forced to make a ridiculous pass he often fails; he passes sloppily and wastes possession, tossing it over to where some guy is with the same uniform on; he is a streak player and is not present a whole game, but if he is on he can be really on. He is playing more and more like a utility player, which is why Houston has decided they can build without him.

I hope he is successful at TFC, because I am generally tired to all these mediocre sports teams out of Toronto and it would be nice to see the soccer version be the successful one.

• 1 month later...

That is good news!! DeRo had a sub-par season and a poor WCQ effort; hopefully he can turn things around in his hometown and get back to winning MLS Cup MVP awards.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

TFC will be introducing DeRo this Thursday at a press conference at BMO Field....Finally.

January 20, 2009

Attention: News/Sports/Assignment/Photo Editors

WHAT: Introduction of Toronto FC Midfielder Dwayne De Rosario

WHO: Toronto FC midfielder Dwayne De Rosario

Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston

Toronto FC Head Coach John Carver

MLSE Executive VP and COO Tom Anselmi

Interview and photo opportunities available

WHERE: Rogers Media Centre

Air Canada Centre – Events Level

40 Bay Street

Toronto

Media are asked to enter through Gate 2

WHEN: Thursday January 22, 2009

3:00 p.m. ET

###

Media Contacts:

Michelle Lissel, Media & P.R. Toronto FC (416) 815-5400 ext. 5399

Rajani Kamath, Corporate Communications (416) 815-5790

This message and any attachments are the property of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. or its affiliates. It may be legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s). No addressee should store, forward, print, copy, or otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized storage, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.

Archived