You'll Never Walk Alone

Sam

As a die hard United supporter it pains me to say this... but I really think "You'll Never Walk Alone" would be amazing for the Voyageurs to sing before matches. Its easy to learn and the sound is almost chilling. Anyways I really think this would be fantastic to do at the next home match wherever it is. So I attached the lyrics and a video of the song below (I used the Celtic version, I couldn't bring myself to post that scouse one)

When you walk through a storm hold your head up high,

And don't be afraid of the dark.

At the end of a storm is a golden sky

And the sweet silver song of a lark.

Walk on through the wind,

Walk on through the rain,

Though your dreams be tossed and blown.

Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone,

You'll never, ever walk alone.

Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone,

You'll never, ever walk alone.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Please, no showtunes.

Neil Young's Heart of Gold.

A song about pain, misery and longing. The perfect song for Canadian soccer fans

I just don't see that working as well I mean I think they tried in Toronto and it didn't work. I wasn't there but I heard that from someone...in Montreal they didn't even bother trying, and I don't think they did in Edmonton. Anyways if that would work I'd be all for it I think Voyageurs need a real pre-game song.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

So try Heart of Gold once and it's dead? It'll surely take many tries and a lot of hype to get any song sung by the masses at Canada games. Steal liverpool's song sing it once it fails then what? Sing forever blowing bubbles?

I agree. I don't think that Y N W A would work our first time out either. Heart of Gold should be given a proper shot. Hopefully we'll have an opportunity to do so next summer.

I wouldn't have a problem with YNWA. I actually think it could work well. It is suitable for Canada and more recognizable for the average fan than Heart of Gold.

But given the songs strong association with certain club teams, I can understand some peoples hesitency. The last thing we want to do is exclude people.

no we should not give up on heart of gold. against jamaica, the mistake was to wait until the 86th minute to sing it. its gotta be sung at the start of the game.

theres a way to hook up an mp3 player to our big megaphone, having the song blasting in our section would help things along.

ynwa is a bit too entrenched in euro club soccer for my liking.

quote:Originally posted by Marc

YNWA is boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring.

You're boring. :D

Seriously, it's so out of context it would be wrong. Though there's an article somewhere about how Liverpool supporters actually stole the song from United supporters when it was top of the pops.

I recall Heart of Gold died in Seattle as well.

I was watching Ricky Hatton fight the other thinking that a horn section would be a great way for the Vs to make a little more noise, especially as the numbers grow and it's hard to hear one another in the bigger stadia. Anybody play? The best songs they did that night are the short ones every body knows that are up beat.

I think I want to change my handle here. Is that possible or do I need to re-register?

Not a Liverpool supporter so I am unbiased by this but all attempts by other teams to claim that they originated the song (usually from Celtic not United) are pretty shaky and lacking evidence. The song comes from a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical and was then made a pop hit by Gerry and the Pacemakers who come from Liverpool and all the evidence I have seen points to Liverpool fans being the first to sing it. That being said I think stealing songs from other groups especially clubs for a national team is pretty lame and screams poseur. I also think horns would be klitschy and make us seem like a US college football team supporter's group.

I am not that big on doing Heart of Gold either but the reason it failed in Toronto was noone knew the words. If we do want to sing this then we need to practice it before the games and make sure we have at least 20 or 30 people who can sing it by memory and lead the others.

^ I agree that we need something unique and original - and Canadian. Heart of Gold is not necessarily a sing-along kind of song, however it's never been given its proper shot. There is a lot of Canadiana worth considering. I suggested this once before - the Hip's "Wheat Kings" would sound awesome because of its two lines...."Wheat Kings (sub 'beat the') and pretty things, Let's just see what tommorow brings". Repeat.

Anyway I'm sure a millions songs have been bantered around, I suggest we keep trying songs until one works.

You'll Never Walk Alone was stolen by other clubs, and I'd rather not use it as a song.

I do agree though, Heart of Gold is a great song but I certainly don't know any words other than the courus.

Maybe we should try to pick a Canadian song that is more well known and try it. Suggestions?

That being said if we're going to pick a good Canadian song that exemplfies our country I can't think of any better one than "Maple Leaf Forever" though I realize even less people know it, the song brings chills down my spine and encapsulates everything good about Canada.

Maple Leaf Forever Lyrics

O, land of blue unending skies,

Mountains strong and sparkling snow,

A scent of freedom in the wind,

O'er the emerald fields below.

To thee we brought our hopes, our dreams,

For thee we stand together,

Our land of peace, where proudly flies,

The Maple Leaf forever.

Chorus:

Long may it wave, and grace our own,

Blue skies and stormy weather,

Within my heart, above my home,

The Maple Leaf forever!

O, Maple Leaf around the world,

You speak as you rise high above,

Of courage, peace and quiet strength,

Of the Canada that I love.

Remind us all, our union bound

By ties we cannot sever,

Bright flag revered on every ground,

The Maple Leaf forever!

Chorus:

The Maple Leaf forever!

Here is a link to Anne Murray Singing it.

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

You'll Never Walk Alone was stolen by other clubs, and I'd rather not use it as a song.

I do agree though, Heart of Gold is a great song but I certainly don't know any words other than the courus.

Maybe we should try to pick a Canadian song that is more well known and try it. Suggestions?

That being said if we're going to pick a good Canadian song that exemplfies our country I can't think of any better one than "Maple Leaf Forever" though I realize even less people know it, the song brings chills down my spine and encapsulates everything good about Canada.

The Maple Leaf forever.

Chorus:

The Maple Leaf forever!

By ties we cannot sever,

The Maple Leaf forever!

Chorus:

The Maple Leaf forever!

This could and should be fantastic.

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

The Maple Leaf forever.

Chorus:

The Maple Leaf forever!

By ties we cannot sever,

The Maple Leaf forever!

Chorus:

The Maple Leaf forever!

I remember that idea being tossed around before, but I love it. There's nothing more Canadian apart from the anthem. The lyrics are great, it's a nice tune, easy to sing along if you know the words. I love Maple Leaf forever and never felt it got enough play...

It would be a GREAT soccer song!

Archived