You'll Never Walk Alone

Sam

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I think about it the more I like "Maple Leaf Forver" It's an easy enough tune to learn and the chourus is catchy, when you listen to the audo of the Leafs game you could hear the crowd starting to join in on the .... maple leaf forever part.

Enough people sing it each time, it'll catch on.

Okay just listen to Maple Leaf forever. I think that would actually be really good... better as a football song than Heart of Gold IMO. The whole thing may be difficult, I think we could just stick with the first two verses and the chorus.

O, land of blue unending skies,

Mountains strong and sparkling snow,

A scent of freedom in the wind,

O'er the emerald fields below.

To thee we brought our hopes, our dreams,

For thee we stand together,

Our land of peace, where proudly flies,

The Maple Leaf forever.

Long may it wave, and grace our own,

Blue skies and stormy weather,

Within my heart, above my home,

The Maple Leaf forever!

Workin' for the Weekend by Loverboy would have fit our recent campaign perfectly. It is a Canadian song by a Canadian band that still call Canada their home too. Check out some of the lyrics:

Everybody's goin' off the deep end

Everybody needs a second chance, oh

You want a piece of my heart

You better start from start

You wanna be in the show

Come on baby lets go

Everyone's looking to see if it was you

Everyone wants you to come through

Everyone's hoping it'll all work out

Everyone's waiting they're holding out

Best yet, it is a bad...make that godawful song that seems sadly appropriate.

A good song for singing with a large group of soccer fans needs to have a good melody that sounds awesome in a chorus and some words that make some sense in the context of being sung at a national team game by soccer fans.

To compare the three songs melodically, try humming the tune without the words. It is clear that MLF has a much better melody than the other two. The melody of HOG is still decent though while Wheat Kings is pretty lacking in melodic content.

If we look at the lyrics the only one that makes sense is MLF. An inspiring song about the nation is totally in keeping with a national team game. Heart of Gold might be ok if the words were talking about us the fans having a heart of gold but it is about a guy searching for a heart of gold that he never finds. This might be apropos in terms of us always searching for success for our team and never finding it but that is a pretty depressing, negative and uninspiring message to be singing when we are trying to motivate both ourselves and the team. HOG might sound decent sung as a group but I don't think the lyrics are anything near what we want to be singing as our signature song. If we change the lyrics it will make it even harder for people to sing with us. Plus I am not sure I like the symbolism of singing a song by a Canadian who has become an American and lives there for a team that has lost so many players to other nations. I also don't think I would want our signature tune to contain no references to Canadian places and two references to American places Hollywood and Redwood. Lyrically Wheat Kings makes absolutely no sense to sing at a soccer game and I don't think the melody is particularly inspiring or suitable for group singing. To be quite honest everytime we have a thread like this it seems like many people just posts songs they like from their favourite groups without much thought to how appropriate the lyrics and melody are for singing together at national team games.

In my opinion, The Maple Leaf Forever, is the clear choice but would take some work as few people know either the melody or words. It seems almost made to be a soccer chant both melodically and lyrically. If we could pull it off it would be a contribution to bringing back to popularity a song that every Canadian should know. We would definitely have to practice it though. For the next national team game we would have to get people to try and learn the lyrics and melody beforehand and would also need to practice it at the pre-match bar meetup. Those singing it would definitely have to have it mastered beforehand because until it is better known we would be the only ones in the stadium singing it. Can you imagine if we can pull it off how inspiring it would be for our team if after the anthems and pre-game ceremonies they come out on the pitch and we start singing this in the first minute.

Hey folks,

Long time lurker, but this important issue to Canadian soccer finally prompted me to get off my duff and put in my two cents. (After all, there's enough that's frustrating around the MNT, so it's nice to know that I can make a difference for once!)

Anyway, I vote for "Home for a Rest" by Spirit of the West.

1) It's Canadian!

2) It's catchy, singable, and anthemic (useful for those stadium crowds) -- and sounds okay when drunk (again, useful for those stadium crowds).

3) Anybody that has ever gone to university has at least the chorus seared into his/her brain. That's a good head start.

4) It's all about travelling, being sociable, and roadtrips -- things that one might want to encourage among Canadian soccer supporters (and a lot of drinking).

5) I'm sure if you wanted to tie in some ideal about Canadian soccer and spiritual ties to England, and soccer and pub culture there, there's a dissertion that could be made, but I'm not going to do it here.

So, er... here are the words. Enjoy. Or, cheers!

You'll have to excuse me, I'm not at my best

I've been gone for a month, I've been drunk since I left

These so-called vacations will soon be my death

I'm so sick from the drink I need home for a rest.

We arrived in December and London was cold

We stayed in the bars along Charing Cross Road

We never saw nothin' but brass taps and oak

Kept a shine on the bar with the sleeves of our coats

I've been gone for a week

I've been drunk since I left

And these so-called vacations

Will soon be my death

I'm so sick from the drink

I need home for a rest

Take me home....

Euston Station the train journey North

In the buffet car we lurched back and forth

Past old crooked dykes through Yorkshire's green fields

We were flung into dance as the train jigged and reeled

Will soon be my death

I need home for a rest

Take me home....

By the light of the moon, she'd drift through the streets

A rare old perfume, so seductive and sweet

She'd tease us and flirt, as the pubs all closed down

Then walk us on home and deny us a round

I've been gone for a month

Will soon be my death

I need home for a rest

Take me home....

The gas heater's empty, it's damp as a tomb

The spirits we drank now ghosts in the room

I'm knackered again, come on sleep take me soon

And don't lift up my head 'till the the twelve bells at noon

Will soon be my death

I need home for a rest

Take me home

Around the time of the Jamaica game in Toronto someone floated around the idea of the Molson anthem. I love the idea and think it can easily be learned and would pick up quickly:

I know this place is where I am

No other place is better than

No matter where I go I am

Proud to be Canadian

I am, you know I am

I am Canadian

I am, you know I am

I am Canadian

Come on!

I love this country where I am

This land is where I make my stand

No other heart is truer than

The one we call Canadian

Sing it!

I am, you know I am

Know I am

I am Canadian

Know I am

I am, you know I am

Know I am

I am Canadian

I am Canadian!

Easy, simple, and fun to sing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_47jlXowHQ

quote:Originally posted by mtl-supporter23

Around the time of the Jamaica game in Toronto someone floated around the idea of the Molson anthem. I love the idea and think it can easily be learned and would pick up quickly:

I know this place is where I am

No other place is better than

No matter where I go I am

Proud to be Canadian

I am, you know I am

I am Canadian

I am, you know I am

I am Canadian

Come on!

I love this country where I am

This land is where I make my stand

No other heart is truer than

The one we call Canadian

Sing it!

I am, you know I am

Know I am

I am Canadian

Know I am

I am, you know I am

Know I am

I am Canadian

I am Canadian!

Easy, simple, and fun to sing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_47jlXowHQ

I have to agree with u friend. Its a fun song. Love listening to it and we can all agree its a good choice. Everyone can learn the lyrics very easy.

quote:Originally posted by jpfgarci

Hey folks,

Long time lurker, but this important issue to Canadian soccer finally prompted me to get off my duff and put in my two cents. (After all, there's enough that's frustrating around the MNT, so it's nice to know that I can make a difference for once!)

Anyway, I vote for "Home for a Rest" by Spirit of the West.

1) It's Canadian!

2) It's catchy, singable, and anthemic (useful for those stadium crowds) -- and sounds okay when drunk (again, useful for those stadium crowds).

3) Anybody that has ever gone to university has at least the chorus seared into his/her brain. That's a good head start.

4) It's all about travelling, being sociable, and roadtrips -- things that one might want to encourage among Canadian soccer supporters (and a lot of drinking).

5) I'm sure if you wanted to tie in some ideal about Canadian soccer and spiritual ties to England, and soccer and pub culture there, there's a dissertion that could be made, but I'm not going to do it here.

So, er... here are the words. Enjoy. Or, cheers!

I've been gone for a month, I've been drunk since I left

These so-called vacations will soon be my death

I'm so sick from the drink I need home for a rest.

We arrived in December and London was cold

We stayed in the bars along Charing Cross Road

We never saw nothin' but brass taps and oak

Kept a shine on the bar with the sleeves of our coats

Will soon be my death

I need home for a rest

Take me home....

Euston Station the train journey North

In the buffet car we lurched back and forth

Past old crooked dykes through Yorkshire's green fields

We were flung into dance as the train jigged and reeled

Will soon be my death

I need home for a rest

Take me home....

By the light of the moon, she'd drift through the streets

A rare old perfume, so seductive and sweet

She'd tease us and flirt, as the pubs all closed down

Then walk us on home and deny us a round

Will soon be my death

I need home for a rest

Take me home....

The gas heater's empty, it's damp as a tomb

The spirits we drank now ghosts in the room

I'm knackered again, come on sleep take me soon

And don't lift up my head 'till the the twelve bells at noon

Will soon be my death

I need home for a rest

Take me home

I gotta say - I think this is the best idea I've heard yet...Great singing tune, happy up beat, drunken fun....

I'll bring the tin flute...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=sPJD3qcIL7s

Back during the Songs and Chants thread there were alot of complaints towards there being too many chants and not enough songs in the V's repertoire. I have a possible solution.

Before matches at Celtic Park (usually for European ties) the entire place erupts into their club anthem. We should do the same after the national anthems are played but before kick-off, singing The Maple Leaf Forever (is it Forever or For Ever?). The song, despite not being as easy or well known, is melodic, classic, and fiercely Canadian. It would be a proper anthem for us hardcores, lyrics could be distributed to the general public supporters, and a background score could even be played over the loudspeakers if need be.

During the match, the Molson's Song would work brilliantly. It is something easy enough for us drunks to sing, for people to join in on, and for people to catch on to, during the crazy fray of the game.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Why limit it to one song? What are we korean football fans?

We don't have to limit it to one song but the first step we should take is to get one song that we can sing well. Afterwards we can think about adding others.

Again as I said before it seems people are intent on posting songs they like as opposed to songs that would really make sense for us to sing and that would sound good. Home for a Rest is a decent song for singing in a bar drinking but does not make much sense to sing at a Canada soccer game. It is about getting drunk in London, England which has absolutely nothing to do with Canadian soccer. The I am Canadian song is a bit more topical but I wouldn't feel very good about singing a beer commercial song at one of our games especially one about a beer that tastes like piss.

Once again I think the MLF is a far better song than any others mentioned here. I also think for the most part we are better off looking at old folksongs or traditional songs than pop songs for other material.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Home for a Rest is a decent song for singing in a bar drinking but does not make much sense to sing at a Canada soccer game. It is about getting drunk in London, England which has absolutely nothing to do with Canadian soccer.

I'm inclined to agree, Grizzly, but if you're looking for a song that traditional and lyrically appropriate, what will we have left? Has anybody written a song about Canadian soccer? Punk band from Woodbridge, maybe? (For the record here, if there is a song about Canadian soccer, please submit now.)

My thinking was that "Home for a Rest" represents alot of the camaraderie, travelling, and yes, drinking that one does when supporting the team.

But hey, if you want traditional, how about the Logdriver's Waltz (which is where we Canadian men learn to step lightly)? Not the most manly thing to sing, but everyone knows it and it's lightheartedly complimentary to the players.

There's my two cents. (I'm in for four, so far.)

Anyone out there good at writing song lyrics? Anyone have the courage to post a song of their own? Of course another idea would be to take an existing tune and change the words of it to better reflect a football song.

Oh and when we play the Yanks, we should sing The War of 1812 by the Arrogant Worms. :D

Archived