De Guzman done at Depor?

ag futbol

Long story short: club owes him money, doesn't sound like he will come back unless they pay him.

Guzman says Deportivo owes him $1.2M

Player says money owed comes from signing bonuses, image rights and appearance fees

Article Comments (2) PETER MALLETT

Globe and Mail Update

November 18, 2008 at 7:42 PM EST

Canadian Julian de Guzman says financially troubled La Liga club Deportivo La Coruna owes him more than $1.2-million, and the Toronto-born midfielder hinted on Tuesday his days in the northern Spanish city may be numbered.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081118.wspt_guzman18/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

Have to say the article is quite well put together, and the rumours about him moving now make sense.

The part about him being out of contract in 6 weeks I am not sure about. Maybe they mean he can negotiate with a new club in 6 weeks, as if his contract ends in June 2009 he can begin speaking to options 6 months before. Otherwise, no club would pay a transfer fee for a player who could be had for free, and the news suggests transfer offers from the EPL.

I think it goes this way then: if Depor want to get a fee for him, better to pay him what they owe him and then go for a transfer from the highest bidder. If they want to re-sign him, pay him his bonuses first, then negotiate. If they want to be stubborn, or not pay, or not renew his contract, he waits it out and signs for a new club in the summer. If he goes on a free transfer he would normally have that as a bargaining point for a higher salary, any club not paying a transfer because the player held out so they could have him for free has to dish up more in base salary when he signs, basic principle. And he would still have the legal basis to demand his pay from Depor on top of that.

quote:Originally posted by canucklefan

I would like to see Julian in the EPL because I believe it's the best league in the world, I prefer Middlesbrough over Bolton but it would be nice if he could find a better club.

YOURE WRONG MATE, the only team that de guzman can fit in and with success is Arsenal, or maybe Man Uted, or Man City, they play short passing football

Count me in as possibly the only guy who hopes JDG doesn't come to TFC.

The pro: he's playing on the right side of the pond.

The cons: far, far lower level of competition for our only elite-level player than an Arsenal or a Chelsea would provide, constant conflicts with dates between club and country, he'd have to play for the sort of idiots who run TFC, and judging by the history of TFC's good players he'd either completely forget how to finish, tear every ligament in both his knees, or be sold for some grass.

^ Julian does not need to be creative to be effective but he has creative flair that he is rarely able to display at Depor because they employ him as a hard nosed ball winner.

i'm convinced that Julian could thrive in almost any system but I fear he has been type cast because he is so damn good as a constant pressure, ball winning holding mid.

If he goes to England, i would love to see him line up against C. Ronaldo and see if he could shut him down/slow him down.

Guest Jeffery S.

The problem with EPL for Julian is that it will be the end of his learning curve, no question. He won't improve there, he will only work there, maybe well. But that is it.

EPL is not the best league in the world because it does not have the best players. Spain does. Though some of the power is shifting clearly, you can see it happening. But it is still not the place to learn how to play the game, it is where you go because they have money coming out of their ears and the hype and that is what interests you. Otherwise no one in their right mind goes to Newcastle or Birmingham, unless, for example, you are really into independent rock and pop.

Ok, let's not open the league-A vs. League B arguements, that's a complete can of worms. I think we can all agree that these things tend to by cyclical and each of the big three (or four if you want) have their turn at the top).

That being said, i think that De Guzman has the skill set that best suits La Liga, and probably works least well in England. I hope he finds another club to keep him in Spain.

Julian is 27 years old and he has reached his prime, a defacto end of the learning curve in terms of technical skill. Wenger argues this happens much sooner, though DeGuzman's progress would state otherwise. Still, for La Liga, this kid is still in the lower tier of techincal skill. What makes him effective is his work rate. This is exactly what English clubs covet in a defensive midfielder. Having a decent touch and ability to go forward is a bonus, but it's not stopping Nicky Butt from making 30-40k per week. What he could learn at Newcastle that could help both himself and Canada is how to dictate tempo. I've seen a bit of this at Deportivo, but he has a much better squad around him and his responsiblities are much less in this regard.

I'm not saying Newcastle is a step up from Depor, but it seems like he's leaving his current club regardless and I'm just surprised the Magpies aren't back in line for his signature.

The EPL is deffinatley a quality league, but for my money Spain is probably the best right now. The EPL is overly dominated by a handful of clubs while La Liga produces an extra helping of smaller clubs that still compete with the big boys for the title. Ex. Sevilla, Villareal, Atletico.

I would love to see Julian stay in Spain and play. I only wish more Canadians would end up in La Liga. I have always wanted to see how DeRo would preform here too.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

The problem with EPL for Julian is that it will be the end of his learning curve, no question. He won't improve there, he will only work there, maybe well. But that is it.

EPL is not the best league in the world because it does not have the best players. Spain does. Though some of the power is shifting clearly, you can see it happening. But it is still not the place to learn how to play the game, it is where you go because they have money coming out of their ears and the hype and that is what interests you. Otherwise no one in their right mind goes to Newcastle or Birmingham, unless, for example, you are really into independent rock and pop.

Way to let your own personal bias lead you to make a sweeping statement that has no basis in reality. There are many ways in which leagues can be compared to each other. You can make strong arguments for La Liga being better than the Premier League, but equally strong arguments exist for England having the stronger league. Based on the last four or five years of UEFA competitions, though, England has clearly outperformed Spain. If you took the top ten from each league, and they played out a 38 match season, the top five would be comprised of four English clubs and one Spanish club. I have no doubt of that.

quote:Originally posted by Javier

YOURE WRONG MATE, the only team that de guzman can fit in and with success is Arsenal, or maybe Man Uted, or Man City, they play short passing football

So? I don't see where is the difference between our comments, I just talked about Middlesbrough and Bolton because the news says these two are interested in him.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Lets get real here. Julian is not a short passing creative force that needs to play with other skilled players to be used properly. Above all, Julian is a hard nosed ball winner. His creativity is not his selling point. He would fit in well with most bottom half EPL sides.

Amen for that.

I like the comment about JDG only being able to play for Arsenal...what is our Argentinian friend smoking?

JDG is a defensive mid, not an offensive one. You could argue that if he had played like he does with Deportive when we were up 1-0 against Honduras, we probably wouldn't have conceeded 2 goals.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

Way to let your own personal bias lead you to make a sweeping statement that has no basis in reality. There are many ways in which leagues can be compared to each other. You can make strong arguments for La Liga being better than the Premier League, but equally strong arguments exist for England having the stronger league. Based on the last four or five years of UEFA competitions, though, England has clearly outperformed Spain. If you took the top ten from each league, and they played out a 38 match season, the top five would be comprised of four English clubs and one Spanish club. I have no doubt of that.

Glad you don't have a bias. Those biased in favour of the EPL only watch EPL, like you, while I watch both. Weekly. EPL is fun, and i think it is getting better, mostly thanks to foreign coaches and players. But we are talking about clubs, so that is okay.

But anyone who thinks either Real Madrid or Barça would not qualify for Champions if they played one league hasn't a clue, your statement is laughable.

As for analyzing European results, well it fluctuates, and has for the last 20 years I have followed closely. Years ago Valencia and Madrid played a Champions final, when there were three Liga clubs in semis, last year it happened with English clubs. Next year it will be the Italians.

But since Julian won't go to a top club, to one like Boro, just have to look at what Sevilla did to them, making them look like amateurs in the UEFA final, and there is the point made. An average EPL club is rudimentary and lacks tactical intelligence in comparison to any equivalent Liga club. Which is why Julian is better off in Spain, since running around like crazy and tossing the ball generally in the direction of a teammate to be mid-table EPL, well that is the last thing we have to teach Canadians. We need to learn everything else, and I think our kids should avoid England like the plague unless they happen to be true stars in the making.

AS the article says, he hopes to stay in Spain. In other articles he has often said that he loves the city of A Coruna. If they can solve the problem, I think he'll stay at Depor. If not probably to another Liga Club as he loves both the futbol and the lifestyle in Spain. The smart money says that he will stay in Spain, whether at Depor or a new club.

Archived