De Guzman done at Depor?

ag futbol

i hope he moves to england...if only for the selfish reason that we will get to see him more...england can be a bit of a graveyard for players though, so hopefully if he goes there it will be with a good team in a role that he will succeed at.

for me he has achieved all he can at depor....it would be exciting to follow him to a new challenge...

ever wonder why we have no players in france?...seems like the right level of league for our guys....we have whacks in germany and nothing in france...especially since some of our guys are french.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by trueviking

^it would be fun to watch him once in a while...and england gets 100x the exposure in canada.

if he stays in spain i hope he at least gets out of depor...find a new challenge...maybe a team that will play in europe.

Err, Depor is playing in Europe. They play Aalborg in the next knockout round.

And right now they are 3 points off a Champions League spot in the Spanish league, in fact 4 points off second place. And that is without really playing at top form nor really showing themselves to be a powerhouse, they are just very efficient and well-coached.

Further, after watching a pretty horendous Villa-Arsenal today (and an atrocious Bolton vs. Liverpool), it was some pretty stinky football I thought, so I would say going to a comparable side like this one from Birmingham would be a step down. Sincerely: did anyone think those were good games?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

I thought Villa Arsenal was a good game

Villa is scared of the ball, they can't hold onto it, base everything on the type of play that got them the 2nd (forget the 1st as it wasn't a penatly). They are very insistent, have that pace that old-fashioned types yap about all the time, are fairly strong and determined, are more sure of themselves countering and on the long balls, and perhaps because the squad is a bit small they'll run out of gas as their style needs fitness. They have a few talents, but do not play good football, and I found the match very poor overall.

As for Bolton, that was pathetic, really, I mean one thing is to be defensive, but losing 2-0 or 3-0 2nd half you have to try to do something more, and if they really don't have any more in a stadium where modest teams have taken points away from Liverpool then they don't deserve to be in EPL frankly.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Err, Depor is playing in Europe. They play Aalborg in the next knockout round.

And right now they are 3 points off a Champions League spot in the Spanish league, in fact 4 points off second place. And that is without really playing at top form nor really showing themselves to be a powerhouse, they are just very efficient and well-coached.

Further, after watching a pretty horendous Villa-Arsenal today (and an atrocious Bolton vs. Liverpool), it was some pretty stinky football I thought, so I would say going to a comparable side like this one from Birmingham would be a step down. Sincerely: did anyone think those were good games?

yeah, right...i meant champions league...my bad.

they've had a good start, but i would be surprised if they are anything more than mid table at the end...

anyways, i agree that spain is a great league, but he might as well be playing on mars for the amount of exposure that league gets in canada beyond the big clubs...we have so few top players, it would be nice to see him at a club with some media exposure that we get to see every once in a while.

if he signs a 3 year deal at depor and ends up riding out his most productive years without striving for a new challenge, i would be disappointed...it would be nice to see him at a club that can challenge for a title or a champions league spot (as i said, i dont think depor's start will translate at the end)...maybe i think too highly of him.

Guest Jeffery S.

Palermo-Milan a few weeks ago, that was probably the best game I have seen in months, leaving aside what I've seen from Barça and its players. Nothing in Premiership comes close to that, I don't think anything in Champions so far either. Probably only Barça's win at Sevilla was close.

Which means the best performance I have seen by a player in the last three or four months was by Miccoli, fancy that.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Palermo-Milan a few weeks ago, that was probably the best game I have seen in months, leaving aside what I've seen from Barça and its players. Nothing in Premiership comes close to that, I don't think anything in Champions so far either. Probably only Barça's win at Sevilla was close.

Which means the best performance I have seen by a player in the last three or four months was by Miccoli, fancy that.

It really just depends on what kind of football you enjoy. Personally, I find Serie A about as boring as AA baseball.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

^it would be fun to watch him once in a while...and england gets 100x the exposure in canada.

if he stays in spain i hope he at least gets out of depor...find a new challenge...maybe a team that will play in europe.

Why would anyone want Julian to play elsewhere? The two powerhouses in Spain are Barca and Real Madrid, so unless he is going to move to those clubs(he's not good enough to however) he should stay put. Deportivo-Athletico-Seville-Valencia-VillaReal are all at the same level more less, so why uproot yourself if your Julian?

I wonder how he would do if he moved back to Germany, but with a better club. Mabye not Bayern Munich(not good enough for them either, or at least to start consistantly) but mabye Werder Bremen or another club that consistantly qualifies to Europe. Even more interesting, mabye Hoffenhiem? They are only one point off the lead heading into the winter break. I think they are for real.

Also, a move to France would be interesting, mabye back with Marsille. England would be a mistake though.

quote:Originally posted by SouthAfricaOrBust

It really just depends on what kind of football you enjoy. Personally, I find Serie A about as boring as AA baseball.

There are alot of built in stereotypes about Serie A being slow, plodding and overly defensive...

However, the last 2 seasons, Serie A has been anything but boring.

in fact, for the 1st half of 2008/2009 season, of the top 4 leagues, my personal ranking would be as follows (in terms of consistent entertainment value):

- La Liga

- Bundesliga

- Serie A

- EPL

I know some may disagree but there are far too many boring, mismatched games in EPL these days. I couldn't sleep last night and flipped on the tube to find a replay Sunderland-Blackburn on Setanta....holy crapfest batman...that was some awful footy....Blackburn is almost as bad as TFC

BTW, I agree with jeffrey, Arsenal-Villa was underwhelming. the game was played at a high pace but the quality of play was so-so at best, which was disappointing to me because I was really looking forward to that game....I've been rooting for Aston Villa to stay in the top 4 and take a CL spot away from one of the "Rich 4".

Guest Jeffery S.

Just want to say that if I watched Liverpool then Aston Villa consecutively yesterday it wasn't because I am a masochist. It is because I like it alright, just don't think yesterday's were so great, that is all.

And if the family let's me I'll be glued to Newcastle-Liverpool in about 12 hours.

I really don't think that either of the De Guzman bros have a good chance at a great European placement next year. Once you are injured and have have missed a number of matches (unless you are a Beckham, an Owen, an Henry, or Cech) you are most likely to be placed on the "back burner" while the new and upcoming YOUNG BUCKS sprint to he finish line trying to strut their new peacock feathers. It's all about "playing time" for most Serious players.

I've watched a dozen or so Serie A matches this year and there's nothing boring about it. That might have been the case in the past, but i don't see that now. It's also refreshing to see players being able to connect a pass to their teammate instead of blindly blasting upfield....The Udinese-Milan game a couple of weeks back was a doozy, back and forth action with the AC Brasilian trio kicking ass. BTW, Chilean U20 Mauricio Isla seems to have solidified a spot in the Udine starting XI - that's like half a dozen of those little f@#%ers now seeing playing time in Europe.

As for Julian, if he gets the chance to move another Spanish side with far less debt and greater potential for Europe (ie. Sevilla, Atletico, Vilarreal etc.) he should jump ship. Depor are dying a slow death and i wouldn't be suprised if they relegate in the next 5 years and stay down...Serie A or a top German or French side would be good for him too. EPL ping-pong ball would be a step backwards in terms of maintaining playing habits that translate to his playing well for the CMNT against CONCACAF competition.

I watched the u-14 girls Greater Kingston indoor bronze medal game yesterday*. Brilliant. The game always is, at all its levels. Of course some of us have different preferences. I enjoy England because my roots are British and I can relate to the places that are playing. VPjr likes Serie A because, well, his last name is Rossi. Jeffrey lives in Barcelona. It stands to reason that he watches La Liga.

As I said above, this debate is pointless. They are all good in their own way. Hell, many of us are passionate about MLS or USL and, well...

But, this thread is about what's best for JDG. What's best for him is to do what he thinks is best for him. It appears that's Spain.

* I didn't really, but I'm trying to make a point.

Guest Jeffery S.

Boro played with a bit of ambition vs. Man U last night, that is the sort of performance I want to see from the lesser sides, a bit of balls. For me that meant for a good game, I enjoyed it.

What worries me is the impatience of the fans, what do they expect? Man Utd is a quality side but do not play the beautiful game, only if Ronaldo is on do they have authentic flash. The rest is quality and efficiency, I mean it is not like they are anything earth shaking, one of the best sides around but I doubt they'll go down in history. But if they start to act like "divos" then they are going down, I think they are vulnerable after watching that performance.

Saying this because: if Julian were to go to a side that played like Boro did last night, or like Everton has been doing, that would be fine by me, teams that are not the top level but have quality and try to play a bit of possession, have some talent, and where the football has some merit.

Archived