Voyageurs Cup Action

I have had a number of discussions with the CSA and our respective clubs concerning the Voyageurs Cup/Champions League Qualifying.

There are a number of options on the table and I do not get an overly positive vibe from the CSA.

In fact, before contacting them, I was told that the Voyageurs Cup was not even an option.

I suggest anyone who wishes to have the Voyageurs Cup continue, should contact the CSA and let them know that as a supporter of Canadian soccer, both on the professional and international front, you want the winner of the Champions League Qualifying to be awarded the Voyageurs Cup.

E-mail Tanya Colburne from the CSA and ask her to pass on your concerns to General Secretary, Peter Montopoli.

tcolburne@soccercan.ca

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Thank you for your e-mail.

A decision regarding the Canadian Champions League trophy title has not yet been made. The Voyageurs Cup title has been put forward, and will be considered one of the options for the official vote later this month.

Yours in soccer,

Tanya "

I posted this in the other forum as well, but here it goes again. I was kind of and flattered when TFC approached us and expressed some interest in the V's Cup. But I don't think we have to persuade anybody. If they want to carry on our tradition, great. If they don't, we'll just do it ourselves.

Why can't they just take the trophy, keep the name "Voyageurs Cup" on the physical object and call the competition anything they want? Just as the original World Cup Trophy was called the Jules Rimet Trophy, and the winner of the Superbowl gets the Lombardi Trophy?

That way they can double up the naming. Hell they could pull the double-double and have a corporate name as well with both. Like the competition could be the "Suputo Canada Cup Competition" and the trophy could be the "BMO Voyageurs Cup"

quote:Originally posted by masster

I posted this in the other forum as well, but here it goes again. I was kind of and flattered when TFC approached us and expressed some interest in the V's Cup. But I don't think we have to persuade anybody. If they want to carry on our tradition, great. If they don't, we'll just do it ourselves.

Even if it is not selected as the "official" option, I for one will keep calling the VCup and we will try and award it anyways.

The issue is that if the VCup becomes essentially the exact same thing as some other, "official" trophy/competition, it will become redundant and will lose out, as most people will call it by it's official name.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I have had a number of discussions with the CSA and our respective clubs concerning the Voyageurs Cup/Champions League Qualifying.

There are a number of options on the table and I do not get an overly positive vibe from the CSA.

In fact, before contacting them, I was told that the Voyageurs Cup was not even an option.

I suggest anyone who wishes to have the Voyageurs Cup continue, should contact the CSA and let them know that as a supporter of Canadian soccer, both on the professional and international front, you want the winner of the Champions League Qualifying to be awarded the Voyageurs Cup.

E-mail Tanya Colburne from the CSA and ask her to pass on your concerns to General Secretary, Peter Montopoli.

tcolburne@soccercan.ca

As posted elsewhere, and hopefully in agreement with most here:

I don't think it should work that way, with us dealing with the CSA. I think it should go like this: we recognize the competition as the one that is the top for head to head competition between Canadian pro clubs, and we award the Voyageurs Cup to the winner. Regardless of what they might award the winner from the CSA or themselves or a sponsor. This is not unusual, there are multiple best player and coach awards in every league all over the world, from newspapers and leagues and FAs and fan votes, and one does not rule out the other.

Meaning whatever they do at the CSA or between the top Canadian clubs, we do our thing. We award the Cup to the winner. Just as we've been doing for a few years now anyways.

The CSA has nothing to say about that, about what a private fan group does with their Cup.

This is why I am not worried about all the rest, we weren't before and no reason to be worried now. Just do what is most natural and don't think twice.

As for redundancy, it is true. It happens sometimes though. But since they have not announced an actual trophy yet, and whatever they award is going to be new, ours will have that extra quality about it: older, senior, the first one out there.

I am sure all clubs will be glad to have it and proud to show it off too.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Meaning whatever they do at the CSA or between the top Canadian clubs, we do our thing. We award the Cup to the winner. Just as we've been doing for a few years now anyways.

The CSA has nothing to say about that, about what a private fan group does with their Cup.

I would agree with this. I'm sure the CSA/the clubs/Concacaf/Jack Warner's cronies/whoever will be looking for sponsorship for the cup & tourney, and they won't get any from us. Doesn't stop us from doing our own things and getting an agreement from the clubs to award the Cup to the winner of the tourney.

I don't even want to entertain alternative action plans at this point. It simply weakens our drive.

If you want the winner of the Champions League to be awarded the Voyageurs Cup, then let the CSA know how you feel. If you are a supporter of Montreal, Vancouver or TFC, let them know as well.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I am sure all clubs will be glad to have it and proud to show it off too.

Having spoken to representatives from all the clubs, and having read the posts from TFC on the other thread, I think the clubs are definetly more responsive to the idea than the CSA has demonstrated. The clubs recognize that many of their core supporters are behind the Voyageurs Cup and fully support the endeavor. They have nothing to gain by alienating and insulting their most faithful.

I was shocked to hear from the CSA that the Voyageurs Cup was not even one of 'their many options'.

Let's stay focused and e-mail the CSA and respected clubs:

Vancouver Whitecaps blenarduzzi@whitecapsfc.com

Montreal Impact sbanfi@impactmontreal.com

tcolburne@soccercan.ca

The e-mail I received for TFC was a personal address that I will not post. Perhaps someone else may have an address from their site that I could not find.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Having spoken to representatives from all the clubs, and having read the posts from TFC on the other thread, I think the clubs are definetly more responsive to the idea than the CSA has demonstrated. The clubs recognize that many of their core supporters are behind the Voyageurs Cup and fully support the endeavor. They have nothing to gain by alienating and insulting their most faithful.

I was shocked to hear from the CSA that the Voyageurs Cup was not even one of 'their many options'.

Let's stay focused and e-mail the CSA and respected clubs:

Vancouver Whitecaps blenarduzzi@whitecapsfc.com

Montreal Impact sbanfi@impactmontreal.com

tcolburne@soccercan.ca

The e-mail I received for TFC was a personal address that I will not post. Perhaps someone else may have an address from their site that I could not find.

Huh, really?

On the Toronto front, I'm working to get the big three TFC supporters groups to lend their support ("officially") as well. I would suggest that the Southsiders and Ultras Montreal do the same, if they are indeed interested in having the VCup as the official cup of this tournament.

I have suggested the following in my email to the CSA:

1) the adoption of "Voyageurs Cup" as the basic name of this

tournament between the three elite clubs in Canada. We would also

understand that a corporate name may be included, for obvious

reasons.

2) in light of honouring the late George Gross, that an award for

the "tournament MVP" be named after him, appropriately celebrating

excellence in the sport.

3) the adoption of "Voyageurs Cup" is a recognition of the fans

of the sport in Canada, similar to the "Supporters Shield" in the

U.K.

I hope everyone agrees and continue to email the CSA and the three

elite clubs about adopting the "Voyageur" title to this important

competition which we the Voyageurs started.

Just a quick update. I have had some lengthy conversations with all three clubs and to this point and I can tell you that all three clubs are behind the Voyageurs Cup. It appears the sticking point is the CSA. I say APPEARS, because I have yet to have any conversation with Peter. The good news is that as of a few days ago we were not even an option. Apparently that is quickly changing. Yesterday I received the following e-mail:

Dear Dwayne (WF),

Peter has asked that I respond to your email as I am directly involved in this program.

Thank you for your email and your generous offer to use the Voyageurs name on the Trophy. As you may be aware, a final decision has yet to be made regarding the naming of the event nor for the trophy for which the teams will be playing for. The CSA along with the three clubs will be making the decision on the above issues shortly.

I will give you a call this week to further discuss.

Thank you once again for your offer.

Kind regards,

John

Brothers and sisters, your e-mails are working. The tide has turned, so continue the good work. I also want to thank our comrades at the U-Sector who have come out in full support of the Voyageurs Cup, and have told all 4 parties where they clearly stand. If you want the Voyageurs Cup to continue as part of the Champions League Qualifying, e-mail the CSA (and clubs) and be heard. Now is not the time to slack off. Progress is being made and the decision is coming quickly !

I sent this:

quote:Dear Ms Colburne,

It is my understanding that you are the person to contact in regards to the Voyageurs/Canada Cup competition. Please pass on the following to the General Secretary, Peter Montopoli.

I would like to add my voice to those from across our nation in support of the continuation of the Voyageurs Cup as the trophy awarded to the winner of what is temporarily known as the "Canada Cup" competition.

As I am certain you are aware, the advantages to marketing a trophy that already has a history and an inspiring back story are enormous. The Voyageurs Cup is already part of our soccer heritage and has even made inroads into the consciousness of sports reporters working the soccer beat in this country.

By all means, find a title sponsor for the competition, but the actual cup and it's name must be used as well. To do otherwise would be to spit in the face of the most loyal and passionate supporters of Canadian soccer.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Ted Godwin

Victoria, BC

This is what I emailed to the CSA:

Dear Ms. Colburne,

Thank you for your time in reading this email, and if it's possible,

kindly forward this to the CSA General Secretary, Mr. Montopoli.

First of all, I would like to congratulate the Canadian Soccer

Association for finalizing a club championship involving our

upper-tier soccer clubs, Toronto FC, Montreal Impact , and the

Vancouver Whitecaps. This is certainly great news as we can now

have a proper Canadian representative to the CONCACAF Club

Championships, thereby offering more positive exposure to our growing

sport. The CSA's important role in bringing this event to fruition

will certainly be recognized by soccer fans all over Canada.

I am writing to you in light of the naming of the tournament. As

part of Canada's largest soccer supporters, the Voyageurs, I would

like to suggest that the tournament be named "Voyageurs Cup" for

variety of reasons:

a) The word "Voyageurs" itself is very Canadian in nature,

confirming the links evident in Canadian history, in both official

languages.

It is uniquely distinct from generic-sounding tournaments like "U.S.

Open Cup", "Canada Cup", or "Soccer Bowl".

B) The "Voyageurs" is the name of the official Canadian Soccer

Supporters group, comprising of fans that fly all over the world

(on their own dime) to support the National Team in all their matches.

We have Voyageurs that have cheered our Mens Teams in Luxembourg,

Scotland, Egypt, Central America, Spain, Finland, and even the last

friendly in Estonia. My family and I have even travelled from our

home in Winnipeg to Seattle, Boston, Vancouver, and Montreal,

to support our teams. We plan to do the same for World Cup

qualifying, and especially THIS tournament, at issue.

c) The "Voyageurs Cup" itself has been in existence since 2002, as a

competition between Montreal, Vancouver, and Toronto USL Division 1

clubs (formerly "A-League"). It is a SUPPORTERS competition,

similar to the Supporters' Shield in the United Kingdom.

If the CSA does adopt the "Voyageurs Cup" name, the CSA will be

continuing a tradition started by Canadian soccer fans.

This would definitely be a strong statement by the Canadian Soccer

Association, about its fans, its paying supporters, and

the improving state of the game in Canada. From a PR perspective,

this is an outright positive endeavour for the CSA.

I sincerely hope that you and the Canadian Soccer Association would

strongly consider this suggestion of having "Voyageurs Cup" as

the name (or part thereof, in light of corporate sponsorship) of this

significant tournament. The Voyageurs are the season ticket holders,

hard-core soccer supporters, and the travelling fans, that have only

one thing in its mission: to support the Canadian and National teams

and the state of our sport in Canada.

I appreciate your time and anticipate the exciting times ahead.

Yours sincerely,

P.S. Another suggestion: if possible, might I suggest that the MVP

Award for the tournament be named after the esteemed soccer writer,

the late George Gross, whose passion in his writing is reflected in

the passion on the field of play.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

If we're thinking of names for awards, how about the Mobilio award for the tournament scoring leader?

Good idea.

MVP: George Gross Award

Best scorer: Domenic Mobilio Award

Best keeper: Daniel Fernandes Award?

Oops! Made a minor but significant error:

quote:Originally posted by redhat

B) The "Voyageurs" is the name of the official Canadian Soccer

Supporters group...

We are not "official". That would be reserved for a group authorized by the CSA and we are independent of the CSA for good reason.

quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

:D How about Craig Forrest presenting the award named in his honour? That 2000 Gold Cup performance still gives me chills when I see highlights.

Agree, he would be my choice. Maybe extend the award to the best defensive player?

Archived