Voyageurs Cup Action

quote:Originally posted by ted

We are not "official". That would be reserved for a group authorized by the CSA and we are independent of the CSA for good reason.

You're right Ted, but that was my point. There are NO OTHER

supporters group out there for the MNT. "Official" as a term

used to denote public (and press)recognition, as opposed to

"authorized" to denote a legal creation thereof.

"Sam's Army" is not the authorized supporters group of USSF,

but it sure can be recognized as such. Are there any actual

supporters groups sanctioned by any Football Association?

I'm not too sure. Just wondering, who is the official supporters'

group of the Canadian Soccer Association?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI,

I just received a number of e-mails from Jack DePoe, President of the Red Patch Boys. He has e-mailed all three clubs and the CSA requesting that the Voyageurs Cup be used. Nice to see that Toronto FC's largest supporters group is firmly behind us.

There are some great letters of support rolling in !

quote:Originally posted by redhat

You're right Ted, but that was my point. There are NO OTHER

supporters group out there for the MNT. "Official" as a term

used to denote public (and press)recognition, as opposed to

"authorized" to denote a legal creation thereof.

I would suggest "only" as a better word choice.:)

quote:

"Sam's Army" is not the authorized supporters group of USSF,

but it sure can be recognized as such. Are there any actual

supporters groups sanctioned by any Football Association?

The only one I know if is: EnglandFans

quote:

I'm not too sure. Just wondering, who is the official supporters'

group of the Canadian Soccer Association?

There is no "official" supporters group and we would not want to be that as the ability to criticise the association would be removed.

This is an example of the quality that is being sent to the CSA and three clubs on our behalf:

Tanya,

On behalf of the Red Patch Boys, Toronto FC's largest supporter's group, who also support the men's national team and I would like to take this opportunity to express our full support and endorsement of the proposal to use the Voyageurs Cup as the official trophy of the Canadian qualifying tournament for the CONCACAF Champions League.

Red Patch Boys, while primarily focused on Toronto FC, is committed to the growth and support of the beautiful game in our country. As such, we feel that the contribution of the Voyageurs to the sport should not be overlooked as they were one of the few organizations to recognize and create a trophy in Canada. This is a Canadian sporting tradition and soccer tradition that we feel very strongly should be maintained to help our sport grow in Canada.

Our group looks forward to seeing our Toronto FC compete for the Voyageurs Cup in the near future, with the opportunity to represent Canada in a prestigious international tournament.

I ask that you please forward this message onto CSA General Secretary Peter Montopoli for his consideration.

Kind regards,

Jack DePoe

President

Red Patch Boys

And from the original TO supporters group, U-Sector (again sent to all four parties):

Tanya,

I'm writing this on behalf of the U-Sector, a Toronto FC, Toronto Lynx and Canadian national teams supporters group with over a thousand members. We wish to throw our support behind the usage of the Voyageurs Cup as the official trophy of the upcoming Canadian qualifying tournament for the CONCACAF Champions League.

As a group that essentially grew out of the Voyageurs family some eight years ago, the U-Sector has always firmly supported the Voyageurs Cup since its inception in 2002 as the de facto unofficial Canadian professional club championship. We would like to see that little bit of tradition carried over into an official capacity.

Here in Toronto, we've seen the Lynx participate in previous editions of the Voyageurs Cup tournaments, and we'd love nothing more than for Toronto FC to be able to compete for the same trophy.

Please forward this message onto  CSA General Secretary Peter Montopoli for his consideration.

Thank you.

Sent on behalf of the Ultras Montréal:

Hello Tanya, Bob, Richard and Joe,

The Ultras Montréal, founded in 2002 and the Montreal Impact's largest

supporter group, would like to lend their support to maintain the

Voyageurs Cup as the prize for Canada's best club team, as well as the

for the name of the tournament.

The Voyageurs Cup is one of the rare existing traditions in pro soccer

in this country, and it would be a great affair to naturally bring it

to its logical fit. At its creation, the Voyageurs Cup was purchased

by hundreds of fans from all over Canada (and abroad) and was created

to fill a void and to name a true National Champion.

With the creation of the Canadian cup competition, we cannot imagine

any other name or any other trophy being more appropriate than the

Voyageurs Cup, who has been given to the winning team every year since

With all this being said, we hope you make the right decision, and

that you will pass on this message if need be.

Merci,

Les Ultras Montréal [uM02]

Dear Tanya Colburne,

On behalf of the Vancouver Southsiders, the largest and longest-serving Vancouver Whitecaps supporters club, I wish to convey our enthusiastic support for the Voyageurs Cup to be officially recognized and used as the trophy of the Canadian qualifying tournament for the CONCACAF Champions League.

The Vancouver Southsiders were founded in the mid-1990s (arguably making us the longest-standing supporters club in Canada), and played an instrumental role in the creation and founding of the Voyageurs Cup. The Southsiders are extremely proud of this trophy and its legacy, both as an exemplary showcase of grass-roots support for Canadian club soccer, and for the considerable historical value attached to it.

We strongly urge you to continue this tremendous tradition by officially adopting the Voyageurs Cup as the trophy of the Canadian qualifying tournament for the CONCACAF Champions League.

I also ask that you please forward this message onto CSA General Secretary Peter Montopoli for his consideration.

Sincerely,

xxxxx

Vancouver Southsiders

CC: Bob Lenarduzzi, Vancouver Whitecaps FC

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

Just to play the devil's advocate here, but would the average soccer fan in Canada who doesn't access message boards know what the Voyaguer Cup is?

The average soccer fan you're referring to probably wouldn't care about anything that isn't EPL.

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

The average soccer fan you're referring to probably wouldn't care about anything that isn't EPL.

If that is the case, then what would the purpose of naming the competition the Voyageurs Cup be? Isn't one of the inherent purposes of this tournament to not only determine a qualifier to the Champions League but to also build the sport of soccer in Canada? How is naming a trophy after a small minority of those that follow the sport going to build interest in the sport? This is not meant to come off as rude, but I really don't understand how everyone hear thinks that Voyageurs Cup is the most appropriate name for a national competition.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

What is better suggestion? The I-can-only-be-arsed-to-watch-Euro-footie-on-my-satellite-so-you-had-better-pander-to-me-or-I-will-ignore-you Cup? ;)

What sort of a "glam" name have you got in mind?

A simplistic approach would lend itself to thinking that the word 'Canada' should be in the name somewhere.

CSA General Secretary, Peter Montopoli, and I spoke briefly last week. He asked that we keep everything low profile and that we give him a few days.

Peter called me at home yesterday, but I was out. Richard Scott the Media Rep also called me in the morning to ask a few questions.

Things are moving behind the scenes, but right now I honestly couldn't tell you more than that if I wanted. I will try and call Peter back tomorrow and hopefully will have something to report tomorrow night.

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

If that is the case, then what would the purpose of naming the competition the Voyageurs Cup be? Isn't one of the inherent purposes of this tournament to not only determine a qualifier to the Champions League but to also build the sport of soccer in Canada? How is naming a trophy after a small minority of those that follow the sport going to build interest in the sport? This is not meant to come off as rude, but I really don't understand how everyone hear thinks that Voyageurs Cup is the most appropriate name for a national competition.

Yeah, what a crazy idea!

stanley_cup1.jpg

Grey_Cup.jpg

quote:How is naming a trophy after a small minority of those that follow the sport going to build interest in the sport?

For me, one of the main points of having this tournament in the first place is to make fans of Canadian soccer not such a small minority. The goal should be that every soccer fan who is Canadian is also a Voyageur.

The Stanley Cup and Grey Cup were named after their benefactors, but we don't have that for Canadian soccer. Instead, I think it's totally appropriate to name it after those who are currently keeping the dream alive. We're the ones supporting the sport in this country, so I don't see what's so wrong about acknowledging and even rewarding that support.

quote:Originally posted by rdroze

For me, one of the main points of having this tournament in the first place is to make fans of Canadian soccer not such a small minority. The goal should be that every soccer fan who is Canadian is also a Voyageur.

The Stanley Cup and Grey Cup were named after their benefactors, but we don't have that for Canadian soccer. Instead, I think it's totally appropriate to name it after those who are currently keeping the dream alive. We're the ones supporting the sport in this country, so I don't see what's so wrong about acknowledging and even rewarding that support.

Agree 100%. Become part of Canadian soccer history: Voyageur Cup

ummm, i guess im the only one who wants to see the voyaguers cup stay in usl (mon v. van) that way we'd have an extra trophy! i like shiny trophies...

2008 Vancouver Whitecaps:

Cascadia Cup Champions

Voyageurs Cup Champions

Canada Cup Champions

Commisioners Cup Champions

CONCACAF Champions League Champions

Club World Cup Champions

USL-1 Champions...

did i miss anything?

all im saying is why not maximize the silverware!

quote:Originally posted by morbital

ummm, i guess im the only one who wants to see the voyaguers cup stay in usl (mon v. van) that way we'd have an extra trophy! i like shiny trophies...

[...]

Because the point of the VCup is to crown the best team in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by morbital

2008 Vancouver Whitecaps:

Cascadia Cup Champions

Voyageurs Cup Champions

Canada Cup Champions

Commisioners Cup Champions

CONCACAF Champions League Champions

Club World Cup Champions

USL-1 Champions...

did i miss anything?

I can't tell if this is a shot at superfluous titles or a serious post.

Archived