Voyageurs Cup Action

quote:Originally posted by morbital

ummm, i guess im the only one who wants to see the voyaguers cup stay in usl (mon v. van) that way we'd have an extra trophy! i like shiny trophies...

2008 Vancouver Whitecaps:

Cascadia Cup Champions

Voyageurs Cup Champions

Canada Cup Champions

Commisioners Cup Champions

CONCACAF Champions League Champions

Club World Cup Champions

USL-1 Champions...

did i miss anything?

all im saying is why not maximize the silverware!

I like it!!:D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by rdroze

The Stanley Cup and Grey Cup were named after their benefactors, but we don't have that for Canadian soccer.

The benefactors were the fans and people who came up with the idea and implemented it! The Voyageurs.

Besides the name was a stroke of brilliance IMHO (no I had nothing to do with it). Voyageurs has such a Canuck ring to it.

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

A simplistic approach would lend itself to thinking that the word 'Canada' should be in the name somewhere.

You mean generic? How many "Canada Cups" have there been?

Most people associate that only with HOCKEY.

Voyageur Cup is a SOCCER SUPPORTERS trophy for the Best Team

in Canadian Football, at the highest level. It also celebrates

the supporters like us, who give a damn about our sport in Canada.

Probably the only ones in the stands who do: we travel, we pay our

way, and we support our team. The average Canadian fan simply

watches TSN ...

The Voyageurs Cup is awarded to the best team in Canada. I think that we should stay stubborn on this issue, and continue to award it to the best team in the country. This means that the "Canada Cup" winner will be the Voyageurs Cup champion. If there is another trophy, that's fine, but we should also award ours(even if it is without a presentation!).

Voyageurs is a fantastic name and it now has a bit of history - which is very useful as other competitions are full of history and Canadian soccer is lacking. The Canada Cup involves Gretzky making a great pass to Lemieux - end of story. If soccer writers want to honour George Gross with an award for best soccer writer, then fine, but not enough people know/care for his name to be on a competition trophy. There are better names for various soccer trophies (Forest, Samuel, ect), and I'm not sure about even them.

Most Canadians have never heard of the Voyageurs, but most don't go to soccer games either. Even many soccer fans here only watch TV for games in Europe. The real Canadian fans, and the few members of the media who actually know what they are talking/writing about, know about the Voyageurs. That is enough for a good start.

The Voyageurs form the core for Canadian soccer. To use TFC as an example (sorry Montreal/Vancouver), the majority of even the season tickets holders do not belong to a supporters' group (U-Sector, RPB, NEE, SSJ, CHH, 114Ultras, 116TheFirm, ect), but they are greatly influenced by them. The excitement they create sells tickets throughout the stadium, and keeps demand high. They find themselves learning/singing chants, even though they have no idea which poster on which internet forum created it. Supporters generally have the cheapest seats (a small fraction of what the club and box seats go for), but TFC/BMO Field bigshots like Paul Beirne and Marc are still willing to take the time to babysit even the bitchiest whiners on the forums because the supporters provide added value by providing publicity, environment, and a strong influence on average fans.

To use a non-soccer example, I remember watching "Motoring" on TSN where Jim Kenzie explained how the Ford Taurus became a best seller for many years. At first, it was only ok, until the Pres at Ford followed the advice of reveiwers and other top drivers and decided to spend a few extra bucks on a better suspension. He knew that only the top 10% would really appreciate - or even notice - the change, but that this top 10% was the "OPINION SHAPERS" who influenced the other 90%. This is what the TFC supporters groups are, and Voyageurs could be - the top 10% that are the "OPINION SHAPERS" for the remaining 90%.

So, the Voyageurs should use the little influence they have now to place themselves into a position where they can have an even greater influence. If the CSA says no, then fine, the Voyageurs can just do their own thing and still win. Remember, the CSA is the group of morons that can't even update their own website or publicly announce upcoming games. Children running a lemonade stand are better at advertising and getting public attention. In a vacuum created by CSA incompetence, it would be easy for the Voyageurs Cup to become better known than their trophy. The CSA needs the fans to get the word out. The price should be that they have to use the fans' trophy.

quote:Originally posted by mlsintoronto

I'm starting to hear positive rumblings out of the CSA - it appears as though Peter gets it and is now trying to get the rest of the CSA on-side...stay tuned.

Hey Paul,

you wouldn't happen to know which CSA members are the problem would you? A few names (even hints) could launch a new e-mail campaign and "other" activities.

After all, those severed horse heads are not going to find their way into people's beds by themselves! ;)

quote:Originally posted by KAS

Voyageurs is a fantastic name and it now has a bit of history - which is very useful as other competitions are full of history and Canadian soccer is lacking. The Canada Cup involves Gretzky making a great pass to Lemieux - end of story.

You forgot the "Dale Hawerchuk winning the all import face-off" part of that story...

:)

Actually, it was Larry Murphy who really made that play work! ;)

See? To this day, Dale doesn't get the respect that he deserves.

Even the Canada Cup movie that is played at the Hockey Hall of Fame

credits Hawerchuk's face-off ... [}:)]

No disrespect to you or Larry Murphy, but he was the decoy. ;)

Which really proves the point: "Canada Cup" is a hockey trophy.

There was a soccer Canada Cup between invited nations; the

last one was in Edmonton between Canada, Guatemala, Iran, and Ecuador.

Poorly attended, it was the end of the CC of soccer.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

See? To this day, Dale doesn't get the respect that he deserves.

Even the Canada Cup movie that is played at the Hockey Hall of Fame

credits Hawerchuk's face-off ... [}:)]

No disrespect to you or Larry Murphy, but he was the decoy. ;)

Hey Cheeta, Redhat, why are you Peggers always defending Hawerchuk? You act like your little town had a hockey team once and you saw some of these guys. How ridiculous is that! [:o)]

Ok, before the flame throwers are turned on, you do know I'm kidding right? I already made a long post on the thread's topic, so the Larry Murphy bit just popped into my head while thinking of that play.

BTW, I'm still waiting to find out who at the CSA is against the Voyageurs Cup. I don't have any names/addresses yet, and those severed horse heads are starting to smell abit. [xx(]

Hey Cheeta, Redhat, why are you Peggers always defending Hawerchuk? You act like your little town had a hockey team once and you saw some of these guys. How ridiculous is that! [:o)]

Ok, before the flame throwers are turned on, you do know I'm kidding right?

Yes we even drank with these guys when we had a team.

We know you're kidding, but we never joke about Ducky.

Or our football (both versions).;)

Archived