Canada Cup Forum

quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

how about the inevitable "Rogers BMO Saputo Winners Maxi-Pad Canada Cup" corporate branding

I'm more partial to the "Hooters Depends Trojan Cup"

...queue parental lecture on Business 101...

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I suggest we keep calling it the Voyageurs Cup. The more that name's visible, the more it'll stick.

I think this is a great idea. After all, this tournament is determining the Voyageurs Cup winner, isn't it?

I think it should be called "CONCACAF Champions League Qualifying / Voyageurs Cup". The first part can then be changed if a proper name for the tournament is announced. That's what I was going to do if I had created this section, but Jarrek beat me to it.

I guess the name "Canada Cup" is sticking in discussions because it's just simpler to use, but it's wrong (not to mention misleading) and therefore I think it should not be used as a name for this section (and it would be nice if people would stop calling it that).

What DJT wrote, except reverse it.

"Voyageurs Cup/CONCACAF CL Qualifying"

(Could even kill the COCACAF part. Kinda goes without saying in this part of the world that we're referring to the new COCACAF CL tourny, not the UEFA version. Should make it clear somewhere that the V's Cup will piggy back on this tourny this season though).

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Should make it clear somewhere that the V's Cup will piggy back on this tourny this season though).

We're still not even sure if the owners might still be interested in looking at the VCup, so I don't expect anything "official" on our end until the owners have something.

By calling this anything but the Voyageurs Cup, we are essentially undermining our own efforts. Franlkly, it's mind-boggling.

I suggest the thread title now be changed to The Voyageurs Cup, as the winner of this tournament will in fact be awarded the trophy.

If the Whitecaps have called it something different, then I would hope the V's on the West Coast (particularly season-ticket holders) should be lobbying the club. The same should apply to fans from all three clubs.

The 'Canada Cup' is either a hockey tournament or the ill-fated Edmonton based soccer tourney last held in 1999.

Voyageurs Cup should be the thread title.

From what I have read the clubs were supportive of calling it the Voyageurs Cup, but the CSA was against it. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

I'm willing to bet it was some of the posts saying that the Voyageurs should get a say on the format and financial consideration that worried them.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

From what I have read the clubs were supportive of calling it the Voyageurs Cup, but the CSA was against it. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

I'm willing to bet it was some of the posts saying that the Voyageurs should get a say on the format and financial consideration that worried them.

It wasn't the CSA that was against it. The problem is CONCACAF.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

The 'Canada Cup' is either a hockey tournament or the ill-fated Edmonton based soccer tourney last held in 1999.

Exactly what I was thinking. Also that it can be too easily confused with the Canada Open Cup.

Where did the term "Canada Cup" for this tournament come from, anyway?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Exactly what I was thinking. Also that it can be too easily confused with the Canada Open Cup.

Where did the term "Canada Cup" for this tournament come from, anyway?

When it first came out, I believe someone said it was the Whitecaps that called it Canada Cup.

As I stated earlier, Voyageurs on the West Coast should be lobbying the Whitecaps to push the Voyageurs Cup.

We need to change the name of this thread.

I already changed the name of this section, shortly after making my post above. I forgot to change the name of the stickied thread with the dates, but did that now. I can't change the name of this thread because Jarrek started it, but I don't think the name of this thread matters.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I already changed the name of this section, shortly after making my post above. I forgot to change the name of the stickied thread with the dates, but did that now. I can't change the name of this thread because Jarrek started it, but I don't think the name of this thread matters.

If there is no such thing as the Canada Cup, we should not have a Canada Cup forum. It certainly leads to confusion, and is an obvious mixed message.

Jarrek, can you change the title of this thread ?

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/tickets/season/

This link leads to the Whitecaps webpage. If you look on the left under the 'tickets' there is something called "Canada Cup".

I'm not sure but it seems as though they are referring to the tournament that involves Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto. I don't see a link entitled Voyageurs cup on the teams website. So maybe we should call the forum the actually name of the Cup, and that seems to be Canada Cup.

Archived