Jump to content

Is the REVOLUTION ON? they call it CSF


Eric
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys

Recently I have been hinting that a new proposal for a better future will be made public. The document found on the onsoccer.ca website is our first salvo at trying to provide a new vision for the governance and administration of soccer in Canada. We hope to add a lot more meat to the bones of this document over the coming weeks as we solicit the input of the Canadian Soccer community as a whole (clubs, coaches, players, supporters) and even people from outside soccer but who can provide constructive input (i.e. people who run non-profit organizations, people from the business world, etc...)

By tomorrow evening, a barebones CSF website will go live. In addition to hosting our Vision Paper (entitled The Canadian Soccer Federation: A New Way Forward), we will provide access to a certain document that the CSA has kept from public view for the better part of 3 years (hint hint)

the website address is www.canadiansoccerfederation.ca. It should be live by tomorrow mid day (approx.)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer all questions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dislike the governing body already, I would prefer to have one person run the show not some 13-15 person commitee. With 13-15 people running the show there are more politics and in fighting. One person making all the decisions it is more likely that local soccer organizations will have to get their act together before they can get the funding money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

People's Front of Judea?

Of course not you blithering idiot! We're the Judean People's Front!!!

.......

What ever happened to the People's Front of Judea?

He's over there.

SPLITTER!

Ah yes my favorite movie. Sigh. Time to go watch it again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

People's Front of Judea?

Who's behind this? Seems a bit on the amateur side, but we'll see...

The people involved in the drafting of this document are:

Dino Rossi (me)

Bob Iarusci

Flynn Beharry

Stephen Williams

Ron Werda

The document is not as "pretty" as the CSA's strategic plan document, no doubt, but we weren't working with any type of budget. All we were armed with is a passion to provide an alternative to the CSA way of doing things for the soccer community to consider.

I urge you all to read through it and email or post your thoughts. As I said before, it's our first salvo. We don't own a monopoly on good ideas. Your input is appreciated and will be noted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by finchster

I dislike the governing body already, I would prefer to have one person run the show not some 13-15 person commitee. With 13-15 people running the show there are more politics and in fighting. One person making all the decisions it is more likely that local soccer organizations will have to get their act together before they can get the funding money.

The exact number of board members is clearly not set in stone but, having done a fair bit of research on the governance structure of most non-profit organizations in Canada, having a Board of Directors that is involved exlcusively in "big picture" strategic planning as well as providing an oversight function for the professional staff is considered a best practice.

A Board structure along the lines of what we are proposing was proposed to the CSA a few years back by their consultants but they basically took those recommendations and put it in a locked drawer. Clearly, they believed that the current system works just fine. We disagree. I think most supporters of Canadian soccer also disagree.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Hi Guys

Recently I have been hinting that a new proposal for a better future will be made public. The document found on the onsoccer.ca website is our first salvo at trying to provide a new vision for the governance and administration of soccer in Canada. We hope to add a lot more meat to the bones of this document over the coming weeks as we solicit the input of the Canadian Soccer community as a whole (clubs, coaches, players, supporters) and even people from outside soccer but who can provide constructive input (i.e. people who run non-profit organizations, people from the business world, etc...)

By tomorrow evening, a barebones CSF website will go live. In addition to hosting our Vision Paper (entitled The Canadian Soccer Federation: A New Way Forward), we will provide access to a certain document that the CSA has kept from public view for the better part of 3 years (hint hint)

the website address is www.canadiansoccerfederation.ca. It should be live by tomorrow mid day (approx.)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer all questions

How can people help the CSF? How can people give input?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

What's with the National Registry? Is that to keep track of talented pplayers abroad with Canadian roots? Or is it where the soccer mums pay their fee fund this whole thing, thereby giving them a say in whether or not we hire Rene Simoes.

We believe that one of the biggest financial drains in the Canadian soccer system is the amount of administration that exists for the sole purpose of registering players.

I am not the expert on this particular issue but I'll give a brief rundown of how I understand it works in Ontario:

- club registers player

- registration info is passed along to District office, who in turn registers player in their system

- the district hands of the player info to the province, who registers the player in their system.

There is ALOT of salary paid out to administrators to do data entry across this country when we could have a simple national registration database created. I have no clue how much money is sucked out of the system because of all this administrative overhead but there is no way that the current system is the most cost effective.

Also, yes, we believe that the national governing body should have direct, unfettered access to a database listing all the players registered across this country. It's part of our goal of building a more direct relationship between the national body and the grassroots. Right now, there are too many layers of red tape that seperate the clubs, coaches, players, etc.. from the national organization.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by aussoccerfan

How can people help the CSF? How can people give input?

Please feel free to email any input to csf@live.ca

We will need help in each region of the country to get this document in the hands of club administrators, coaches, etc.. Any help you can provide in that area (in your local area) would be greatly appreciated. My contact list is pretty big but I haven't got every province covered yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Please feel free to email any input to csf@live.ca

We will need help in each region of the country to get this document in the hands of club administrators, coaches, etc.. Any help you can provide in that area (in your local area) would be greatly appreciated. My contact list is pretty big but I haven't got every province covered yet.

Who are your contacts in Atlantic Canada ?

I have some contacts in NS, PEI, & NFLD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

We believe that one of the biggest financial drains in the Canadian soccer system is the amount of administration that exists for the sole purpose of registering players.

I am not the expert on this particular issue but I'll give a brief rundown of how I understand it works in Ontario:

- club registers player

- registration info is passed along to District office, who in turn registers player in their system

- the district hands of the player info to the province, who registers the player in their system.

There is ALOT of salary paid out to administrators to do data entry across this country when we could have a simple national registration database created. I have no clue how much money is sucked out of the system because of all this administrative overhead but there is no way that the current system is the most cost effective.

Also, yes, we believe that the national governing body should have direct, unfettered access to a database listing all the players registered across this country. It's part of our goal of building a more direct relationship between the national body and the grassroots. Right now, there are too many layers of red tape that seperate the clubs, coaches, players, etc.. from the national organization.

Dino, thank you for your answer. I sincerely respect that you clearly are dedicated to the game. To me though, it looks like you care more about the structure of youth soccer than whether the MNT get sufficient friendlies to prep for WCQ.

This section is for the Men's National Team. Do the hows and whats and whys of player registration mean a thing to whether or not we qualify for the World Cup?

My point is that funding the top level structure from the grassroots, no matter how efficient, is a non-starter because the graassroots is in no way qualified to give us professional leadership. I'm not saying this about your group, as clearly Bob would have more credibility to lend to this discussion than most, if not all Voyageurs. Still, your proposal doesn't seem to be really radical enough to differentiate it from a well run CSA. And truth be told, I don't think too many Voyageurs really have a problem with the CSA's performance when it comes to youth soccer. It's good enough for the girls we go with. We want to go the the World Cup. End of story. Of course, we could develop better players to assist us, but that's not really the main issue. We already have good enough players -with or without the CSA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by aussoccerfan

[br

Who are your contacts in Atlantic Canada ?

I have some contacts in NS, PEI, & NFLD.

I only have club contacts in Atlantic Canada that I got by literally going site to site, collecting emails.

Anything you've got and are willing to share would be appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This section is for the Men's National Team. Do the hows and whats and whys of player registration mean a thing to whether or not we qualify for the World Cup?

You seam very concern about the MNT and the WCQ, you're one of those people that wants to cover the sun with a finger disregarding the future MNTs. For starters the CSA hire the wrong coach (good coach but not the one we need) to lead us to a WCQ and they will continue to do so because there is not consequences to their decisions and that has to end asap. You to build from the bottom up NOT the other way around, the players registration moneys have alot to do with everything because is a big part in the financing of a our national program.

My point is that funding the top level structure from the grassroots, no matter how efficient, is a non-starter because the graassroots is in no way qualified to give us professional leadership.

We don't need leadership from the grassroots, what we need is professional leadership to guide the grassroots organizations towards building a true players development system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"This section is for the Men's National Team. Do the hows and whats and whys of player registration mean a thing to whether or not we qualify for the World Cup?"

You seam very concern about the MNT and the WCQ, you're one of those people that wants to cover the sun with a finger disregarding the future MNTs. For starters the CSA hire the wrong coach (good coach but not the one we need) to lead us to a WCQ and they will continue to do so because there is not consequences to their decisions and that has to end asap. You to build from the bottom up NOT the other way around, the players registration moneys have alot to do with everything because is a big part in the financing of a our national program.

"My point is that funding the top level structure from the grassroots, no matter how efficient, is a non-starter because the graassroots is in no way qualified to give us professional leadership."

We don't need leadership from the grassroots, what we need is professional leadership to guide the grassroots organizations towards building a true players development system.

PS. I forgot the quote marks [:I]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Dino, thank you for your answer. I sincerely respect that you clearly are dedicated to the game. To me though, it looks like you care more about the structure of youth soccer than whether the MNT get sufficient friendlies to prep for WCQ.

This section is for the Men's National Team. Do the hows and whats and whys of player registration mean a thing to whether or not we qualify for the World Cup?

My point is that funding the top level structure from the grassroots, no matter how efficient, is a non-starter because the graassroots is in no way qualified to give us professional leadership. I'm not saying this about your group, as clearly Bob would have more credibility to lend to this discussion than most, if not all Voyageurs. Still, your proposal doesn't seem to be really radical enough to differentiate it from a well run CSA. And truth be told, I don't think too many Voyageurs really have a problem with the CSA's performance when it comes to youth soccer. It's good enough for the girls we go with. We want to go the the World Cup. End of story. Of course, we could develop better players to assist us, but that's not really the main issue. We already have good enough players -with or without the CSA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...