UNDER 20 PLAYER POOL

AEDIFICAMUS

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Lensky decided he would not play for us in this tournament. Mitchell decided Gomez would not play for us in this tournament.

Not for us, or just not play?

I don't recall any vitriotic threads about him playing for xxxx....

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Not for us, or just not play?

I don't recall any vitriotic threads about him playing for xxxx....

Re. Lensky Mitchell made some comment about him not "being committed to what we're trying to do here" or something to that effect when he was brought in for a couple games.

There has always been the rumour that his parents want him to play for Czech Republic (or Slovakia?) hanging over his head.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Re. Lensky Mitchell made some comment about him not "being committed to what we're trying to do here" or something to that effect when he was brought in for a couple games.

There has always been the rumour that his parents want him to play for Czech Republic (or Slovakia?) hanging over his head.

Mitchell spoke to Lensky earlier this year and told the press that Lensky had expressed a desire to play for Canada. Mitchell said he'd have to earn his way on to the team, but was expecting to take a look at him in the Scotland series. The series came and Lensky wasn't on the roster. Still have no idea what's happened since.

Updated (after reading the Whitecap Res. list)

GK:

Jaswinder Gill (89) U. of Alberta

Michal Misiewicz (90) Plymouth

Julien Latendresse-Levesque (91) Metz

Adam Street (91) West Ham

Robert Stillo (91) Genoa

Defenders:

Nana Attakora-Gyan (89) Toronto FC

Gabe Gala (89) Toronto FC

Kennedy Owusu-Ansah (89) Hertha BSC

Olivier Lacoste-Lebuis (90) Strasbourg

Alex Martinez (89) Atlas

Randy Edwini-Bonsu (90) Vancouver

Eddy Sidra (89) Energie Cottbus

Philippe Davies (90) Metz

Tomasz Machul (?) 1860 München

Greg Smith (90) Vancouver

Adam Straith (90) Vancouver

Midfielders:

Michael Nonni (89) Groningen

Matt Lam (89) Ajax Amsterdam

Kyle Bekker (90) Ajax Amsterdam

Shaun Saiko (89) Middlesborough

Brandon Bonifacio (89) Cambuur-Leuwarden

Joey Melo (89) Toronto FC

Michael Pereira (89) Providence

Dane Roberts (89) Fairfield

Sean Rosa (90) Metz

Devin Gunenc (90) Vancouver

Mohommed Sylla (90) Unattached(NTC-ONT?)

Alex Semenets (90) Vancouver

Marcus Johnstone (90) Vancouver

Abde Sylla (92) Metz

Derek Gaudet (89) Unattached(NTC-ATL?)

Teal Bunbury (90) US-ODP/Apple Valley

Antonio Rago (90) Vancouver

Forwards:

David Hoillett Jr. (90) Blackburn

Reid Fraser (89) Sheffield W.

Marcus Haber (89) Groningen

Robbie Giezen (89) Groningen

Todd Rutledge (89) Furman

Kyle Porter (90) Vancouver

Jarek Whiteman (90) Vancouver

Chris Sherrife (90) Unattached(NTC-ONT?)

I recall reading that Mitchell was impressed with what he say of Lensky, so it seems unlikely that he would have been left off the team because he was not skilled enough. I suspect he, like DeGuzman, is considering playing for another country, perhaps Holland when he has citizenship--not likely--or his parents' homeland (Slovakia? Really, her?)

I'd love to have Lensky in the fold, but if I had to pick, I'd say give me DeGuzman instead.

Anyone have any details on Fabian Troche at Defensor Sporting in Uruguay?

Anyone know anything about these other youngsters?:

Justin Isidro - Vitória Setúbal

Michael Abusabal - Bolognesi (Peru)

Cody Cook and Oscar Aguero - Energie Cottbus

Octavio Maginnis-Castro - Peterborough United

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Lensky's father stated a few years ago that he wanted him to play for either the Czechs or Slovaks (I can't recall which). I don't think Lensky himself has made any comments regarding who he would like to play for but my distinct impression was that he was not at the U-20 because he didn't want to commit to us not because Mitchell didn't call him up.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Anyone know anything about these other youngsters?:

Justin Isidro - Vitória Setúbal

Michael Abusabal - Bolognesi (Peru)

Cody Cook and Oscar Aguero - Energie Cottbus

Octavio Maginnis-Castro - Peterborough United

Cody Cook went over to Cottbus early in the summer (from Calgary Callies I believe).

Not sure about Oscar Aguero's Alberta team but both intended to play for their U19's but is playing for their U18's (basically a grooming area for U19's). Cook is young and has played at the AMSL level so probably worth a look and both players are starting every game for Cottbus' U18's. Eddie Sidra is the one who if age eligible is playing at a pretty good level in the U19 Bundesliga.

Robbie Giezen </u> : March 10 , 1989 playing in midfield for FC Groningen U19.

Marcus Haber</u> : January 11 , 1989 playing in attack for FC Groningen U19.

Michael Nonni</u> : November 10 , 1989 playing in attack for FC Groningen U19.

Brandon Bonifacio</u> : September 29 , 1989 playing in midfield for Cambuur Leeuwarden.

fcgroningena1.jpg

Marcus Haber is on the bottom row , second from the right. I'm not sure where the other 2 lads are...

Picture of Bonifacio :

http://www.vi.nl/Spelers/Speler/BrandonBonifacio.htm

The 3 young Canucks playing for Groningen are regular goalscorers for the U19. Marcus Haber has already bagged 3 goals , and Michael Nonni (2) and Robbie Giezen (1) also found the net this season.

http://files.datawire.nl/uploads/F4i7_kc2ysnWDcNEw70gOA/t4--gpD2hYc8yzJXEytvKA/Topscorers_Nike_A-jun_eredivisie_week_39.pdf

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Are you sure that Haber is not in the second row, second from the right? The kid in the bottom row, second on the right, looks way too short to be Haber (who looked well over six feet when he played for Canada's U20 team this summer).

I'm not sure no , but this is Haber is a Canadian shirt..

http://www.romantulis.com/photo/2006.MarkusHaber.jpg

Looks to me he is in the bottom , 2nd from right..?

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Fabian is still listed on the U-17 5th division extended squad of Defensor, I say extended because 5th division is the first level in Uruguayan juvenile soccer comprising 2 age groups (16/17.) He's listed as one of about 15 midfielders to give you an idea of the size of the squad. Not sure if he is getting official game time but I'll try to find out.

As a footnote, my son trained with Defensor U14 six years ago for about 6 months when he was between clubs due to school scheduling issues. They run an excellent player development program 6 days a week but getting official playing time for weekend games is tough due to many factors (agents / cronyism / etc) that I won't go into at this time.

Suffice to say that someone in Canada should keep in touch with Fabian. If he returns to Canada, the preparation he will have received here in Uruguay will help him immensely and give him a different combination of advanced skills and better knowledge of international play.

Edited for keyboard hiccup

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

I'm not sure no , but this is Haber is a Canadian shirt..

http://www.romantulis.com/photo/2006.MarkusHaber.jpg

Looks to me he is in the bottom , 2nd from right..?

They might look similar, but the kid sitting at the bottom, 2nd from the right is likely 4 - 6 inches shorter than Master Haber, who from what I gather is some sort of behemoth. Glad to see Haber scoring, and though he was not stellar for us last summer, I think he'll develop into an excellent player for us. You can't beat Dutch dvelopment.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

They might look similar, but the kid sitting at the bottom, 2nd from the right is likely 4 - 6 inches shorter than Master Haber, who from what I gather is some sort of behemoth. Glad to see Haber scoring, and though he was not stellar for us last summer, I think he'll develop into an excellent player for us. You can't beat Dutch dvelopment.

Master Haber..?? Is there are story to be told..:D ?

The only other guy in the picture that looks like him is sitting in the bottom row , on the far left then. He's a bit bigger as well.

He might be a huge guy for Canuck standards but us Dutch fella's are generally just slightly taller and bigger. I think we are the tallest nation in the world or something. I'm 1.91m myself and I dont really stand out here :)

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

Master Haber..?? Is there are story to be told..:D ?

The only other guy in the picture that looks like him is sitting in the bottom row , on the far left then. He's a bit bigger as well.

He might be a huge guy for Canuck standards but us Dutch fella's are generally just slightly taller and bigger. I think we are the tallest nation in the world or something. I'm 1.91m myself and I dont really stand out here :)

Yes, I realize the Dutch are tall in general, but the two guys you've pointed out are clearly not that tall--maybe they aren't even Dutch. Haber IS taller than both those dudes. G-L, I believe, has located Haber correctly: Middle row, second from the left. His hair was clearly shorter in the club photo.

are we all in agreement who's taller and who's hair is the shortest. lets talk about the u-20 player pool. Alot of names have been thrown out there. A few names i haven't heard of. from the list, it sounds like there could be a lot to chose from. look what happen to the u20's of this year. basically the same players from the u17's 3 years ago and we all know what a piss poor showing they did. now everyone is looking at the same players again from this years u17's. remember---all they had to do was to finish 3'rd in a pool of 5 to qualify for the u17 worlds. not a chance! i think its time to get some new blood in there. out with the old and in with the new. i remember seeing 2 kids in the ntc west and at the u16 nationals last year . they were garret traversy from vancouver and cardin davis from victoria. not sure if davis is from victoria though. traversy a speedy winger and davis a solid and offensive minded fullback. these should be 2 players added to the list.they both have had national trips in the last 2 years. anybody else thats been missed.

I'll tell this story again for those who are worrying too much with the se U-17's and U-20's guys.

France won the U-17 WC in 2001, now only 3 players out of their squad are playing at a D2 level or higher in Europe.

It's just normal that players at the youth level will get cut from our national teams but will be better later than some who were selected.

Archived