UNDER 20 PLAYER POOL

AEDIFICAMUS

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

How good is this group of players compare to previous CDN U-20 teams? Are they good enough to qualify and do well in the next World U-20?

Good enough to qualify, absolutely! If they don't I will be extremely disappointed. I rate this team higher than any team I can really remember, but I was also high on the 2007 team so take that with a grain of salt.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ some matches will be scheduled. Maybe against Swiss club sides or maybe a Swiss national team...not sure of exact details but matches will certainly be played.

Confirmed on the CSA website.

Playing the Swiss U20 team and U21 Berner Sports Club Young Boys. No list of invited players as of yet though.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Confirmed on the CSA website.

Playing the Swiss U20 team and U21 Berner Sports Club Young Boys. No list of invited players as of yet though.

"The 2009 CONCACAF Men’s Under-20 Championship will take place early next year in Trinidad & Tobago, with the schedule yet to be officially announced. This will mark the first time since 1996 that CONCACAF schedules a men’s U-20 championship, whereby in recent years the final group of teams have been split into two separate locations."

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

"The 2009 CONCACAF Men’s Under-20 Championship will take place early next year in Trinidad & Tobago, with the schedule yet to be officially announced. This will mark the first time since 1996 that CONCACAF schedules a men’s U-20 championship, whereby in recent years the final group of teams have been split into two separate locations."

Well lets win it all then, we have a really good team and I would expect us to finish top 3 at least in this.

They also make a big point of our previous finishes in CONCACAF U20 WCQ.

"Canada has participated in eight of 16 FIFA U-20 World Cups, including each of the last four. At UAE 2003, Canada reached the quarter-final stage before losing 1:2 to Spain on a golden goal. Along with a pair of CONCACAF U-20 championships (1986 and 1996), Canada also finished first in Group A of the 2001 CONCACAF Under-20 Qualification Tournament."

Again, you think they might get this right.

We finished first in our group in:

- 2001 (Julian de Guzman and company went undefeated in Victoria)

- 2003 (We beat host USA and CR, drew Haiti to come first in Group B with 7 pts)

- 2005 (Gyaki led us as we beat everyone in group A playing in Honduras - 9 pts tops).

Why do I bother??? Don't they have a clue in their media dept?

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

I hope this isn't true! Absolutely embarrassing if it is! Its not like he is jumping for glory, Jamaica hasn't won ANYTHING at least we can say we've won the Olympics and Gold Cup. Plus we seem to have a ton of talent coming through right now while Jamaica is probably hoping on some English kids to jump to Jamaica.

Very strange.

LOL. Ya, we wont the Olympic tournament in 1904. Three teams entered. Two were from the USA.

http://www.databaseolympics.com/games/gamessport.htm?g=3&sp=SOC

http://www.soccer.on.ca/OSN.nsf/c1bfa845a2dec3bf85256b0b005d4116/aa9748d025acbeef85256fb00072ca4d?OpenDocument

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad we won and that Canada is in the record book but in all seriousness, that tournament was makeshift at best. In fact, the teams played only 30 minute halves!

GK:

Jaswinder Gill (89) U. of Alberta

Michal Misiewicz (90) Sunderland

Adam Street (91) West Ham

Robert Stillo (91) Genoa

Julien Latendresse-Levesque (91) Vancouver

Marcel DeBellis (91) Benfica

Keenan Gracey (91) Wigan

Defenders:

Nana Attakora-Gyan (89) Toronto FC

Kennedy Owusu-Ansah (89) Hertha BSC

Alex Martinez (89) Atlas

Marcus Haber (89) Unattached

Nik Giannota (89) Unattached

Eddy Sidra (89) Energie Cottbus

Alex Suprenant (89) Montreal

Paris Nakajima-Farran (89) Næstved BK

Olivier Lacoste-Lebuis (90) Univ. of Maryland

Octavio Maginnis-Castro (90) Peterborough Utd.

William Hyde (90) Vancouver

Greg Smith (90) Energie Cottbus

Daniel Tannuous (90) Univ. of Maine

Robert Adam (90) Hearts

Eric Leal (90) Unattached

Ashtone Morgan (91) Toronto FC

Midfielders:

Gabe Gala (89) Toronto FC

Shaun Saiko (89) Middlesborough

Brandon Bonifacio (89) Camburr-Leeuwarden

Joey Melo (89) Toronto FC

Fabrice Lassonde (89) FC Ingolstadt II

Matt Lam (89) Sheffield Utd.

Michael Pereira (89) Providence

Dane Roberts (89) Furman

Michael Nonni (89) Unattached

Marinko Maras (89) Unattached

Cody Cook (89) Energie Cottbus

Michael Abusabal (89) Dep. Municipal

Phil Appiah (89) Preston North End

Adam Straith (90) Energie Cottbus

Sean Rosa (90) Brown Univ.

Devin Gunenc (90) Vancouver

Philippe Davies (90) Vancouver

Mohommed Sylla (90) Trois-Rivieres

Alex Semenets (90) Vancouver

Marcus Johnstone (90) Vancouver

Teal Bunbury (90) U. of Akron

Antonio Rago (90) Vancouver

Gagandeep Dosanjh (90) Vancouver

Kyle Bekker (90) Unattached

Taylor Lord (90) AS Monaco

Drew Beckie (90) Real Colorado

Nico Aravana (90) Rosario Central

Ethan Gage (91) Vancouver

Fabian Troche (91) Rampla Jrs.

Jonathan Parolini (91) Unattached

Abde Sylla (92) Metz

Forwards:

Vladimir Vukovic (89) FK Laktasi

Derek Gaudet (89) Toronto FC

Reid Fraser (89) UC-SB

Todd Rutledge (89) Fairfield

Mozesh Gyorio (89) San Jacinto JC

David Hoillett Jr. (90) St. Pauli

Randy Edwini-Bonsu (90) Vancouver

Kyle Porter (90) Energie Cottbus

Jarek Whiteman (90) Toronto FC

Adrian Pena (90) York Univ.

Cedric Carrie (90) Univ. of Mobile

Chris Sheriffe (90) Toronto Lynx

Dalvir Malhi (90) Unattached

Damien Merette (91) Nacional SP(???)

Personally I think that Fonseca will be forced to make a critical dicision on the basis of players to carry to qualifying, and if qualified, to the tournament. Because the 91's will head the next the cycle and if 91's aren't selected they will enter the 2011 world cup with a unexperienced side (internationally). The last cycle Mitchell had Attakora,Gala, Owusu-Ansa,Haber,Lacoste-Lebuis a solid core to build upon for this upcoming cycle. But from the players we have listed above the 91's appear short of "Talent" other than Gage and the Goalies, which CERTAINLY isn't looking problematic. I'll be interested in the squad selection for sure... What do the rest of you think is the best choice? Go with the oldest squad you can or build for the future and bring some younger players along for the experience?

quote:Originally posted by Back to Basics

Personally I think that Fonseca will be forced to make a critical dicision on the basis of players to carry to qualifying, and if qualified, to the tournament. Because the 91's will head the next the cycle and if 91's aren't selected they will enter the 2011 world cup with a unexperienced side (internationally). The last cycle Mitchell had Attakora,Gala, Owusu-Ansa,Haber,Lacoste-Lebuis a solid core to build upon for this upcoming cycle. But from the players we have listed above the 91's appear short of "Talent" other than Gage and the Goalies, which CERTAINLY isn't looking problematic. I'll be interested in the squad selection for sure... What do the rest of you think is the best choice? Go with the oldest squad you can or build for the future and bring some younger players along for the experience?

You select the best available regardless of their age. If it means taking 18 players born in 1989, so be it. We need to qualify for this tournament and the only way to do it is for Fonseca to select the players he feels are the best suited to help us qualify.

Adam Straith (Vancouver Whitecaps Residency - playing U19 with Energie Cottbus) and Randy Edwini-Bonsu called up for the U20's. See whitecapsfc.com for confirmation.

i just heard from olivier lacoste-lebuis. this is what he had to say:

I was supposed to go to Switzerland, the new coach sent me an e-mail. But I cant attend the camp because I have to finish a concentrated course to get in to University of Maryland in wich I have received a full scholarship. Im in a transition period and I want to keep on studying and playing soccer because I want to return to europe eventually. But i will be on the national team on the next camp ;)

Talk to you soon

Oli

quote:Originally posted by hodgkiss

i just heard from olivier lacoste-lebuis. this is what he had to say:

I was supposed to go to Switzerland, the new coach sent me an e-mail. But I cant attend the camp because I have to finish a concentrated course to get in to University of Maryland in wich I have received a full scholarship. Im in a transition period and I want to keep on studying and playing soccer because I want to return to europe eventually. But i will be on the national team on the next camp ;)

Talk to you soon

Oli

interesting news...thanks for sharing.

based on what I've been told by Squid2, U of maryland is one of the best programs in NCAA and the coach (a canadian I think) is a very good developer of talent.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I think Jason Bent and Carmine Isacco attended University of Maryland.

Very strong program. Not a bad place for OLL if he can get early playing time.

I can't imagine him not getting playing time. He must be one of the if not the best recruit in the NCAA. This is the same guy who turned heads at the 2007 CONCACAF u17, was signed to Strasbourg, played CFA and was named to the Canada u20s at 16

Archived