UNDER 20 PLAYER POOL

AEDIFICAMUS

I think where people’s concern is coming from is that for players without resources, the national team program is somehow becoming a gateway for players to get into professional sides where they can develop. Compare that to France where it’s much more of a free market, you could completely ignore the national team if you wanted to.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by TheBeautifulGame

Fabian is still listed on the U-17 5th division extended squad of Defensor, I say extended because 5th division is the first level in Uruguayan juvenile soccer comprising 2 age groups (16/17.) He's listed as one of about 15 midfielders to give you an idea of the size of the squad. Not sure if he is getting official game time but I'll try to find out.

As a footnote, my son trained with Defensor U14 six years ago for about 6 months when he was between clubs due to school scheduling issues. They run an excellent player development program 6 days a week but getting official playing time for weekend games is tough due to many factors (agents / cronyism / etc) that I won't go into at this time.

Suffice to say that someone in Canada should keep in touch with Fabian. If he returns to Canada, the preparation he will have received here in Uruguay will help him immensely and give him a different combination of advanced skills and better knowledge of international play.

Edited for keyboard hiccup

Hi I'm Fabian's dad. I'm new at this. It was present to me buy a friend and he was the one that posted Fabian over a year a go.

Just to keep you inform, Fabian still with Defensor. He didn't play an official game yet.

Just like TheBeautifulGame posted "extended because 5th division is the first level in Uruguayan juvenile soccer comprising 2 age groups (16/17.) He's listed as one of about 15 midfielders to give you an idea of the size of the squad."

He does friendly games and yes he trains 6 times a week.

He's coming back to Canada around the 10th of December for a month.

PS these forums and traking of our kids and soccer his great.

Great Job.

Updated

GK:

Jaswinder Gill (89) U. of Alberta

Michal Misiewicz (90) Plymouth

Julien Latendresse-Levesque (91) Metz

Adam Street (91) West Ham

Robert Stillo (91) Genoa

Defenders:

Nana Attakora-Gyan (89) Toronto FC

Gabe Gala (89) Toronto FC

Kennedy Owusu-Ansah (89) Hertha BSC

Olivier Lacoste-Lebuis (90) Strasbourg

Alex Martinez (89) Atlas

Randy Edwini-Bonsu (90) Vancouver

Eddy Sidra (89) Energie Cottbus

Philippe Davies (90) Vancouver

Tomasz Machul (?) 1860 München

Greg Smith (90) Vancouver

Adam Straith (90) Vancouver

Midfielders:

Michael Nonni (89) Groningen

Matt Lam (89) Ajax Amsterdam

Kyle Bekker (90) Ajax Amsterdam

Shaun Saiko (89) Middlesborough

Brandon Bonifacio (89) Cambuur-Leuwarden

Joey Melo (89) Toronto FC

Michael Pereira (89) Providence

Dane Roberts (89) Furman

Sean Rosa (90) Metz

Devin Gunenc (90) Vancouver

Mohommed Sylla (90) Unattached(NTC-ONT?)

Alex Semenets (90) Vancouver

Marcus Johnstone (90) Vancouver

Abde Sylla (92) Metz

Derek Gaudet (89) Unattached(NTC-ATL?)

Teal Bunbury (90) US-ODP/Apple Valley

Antonio Rago (90) Vancouver

Forwards:

David Hoillett Jr. (90) Blackburn

Reid Fraser (89) Sheffield W.

Marcus Haber (89) Groningen

Robbie Giezen (89) Groningen

Todd Rutledge (89) Fairfield

Kyle Porter (90) Vancouver

Jarek Whiteman (90) Vancouver

Chris Sherrife (90) Unattached(NTC-ONT?)

quote:Originally posted by Gaucho

Is Reid Fraser still officially affiliated with Sheffield?

I hear he might be looking to go to college in the US.

Not sure about Fraser. Someone wrote that he'd be back from England before the summer started, but then someone recently posted that he'd be playing for their U19 Academy team in 07/08.

Todd Rutledge is at Fairfield University, and not at Furman.

It's fellow Londoner (and former teammate) Haris Cekic that's a freshman at Furman. Cekic is actually 3rd in scoring on the Furman team that's currently ranked 17th in the US.

Cekic is an "88" and thus is too old for this next cycle. He probably should have been on this last U20 team, but unfortunately for him he's from London and not Toronto, so he never really had much of a chance to be selected.

• 2 months later...
quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Anyone have any details on Fabian Troche at Defensor Sporting in Uruguay?

Anyone know anything about these other youngsters?:

Justin Isidro - Vit�ria Set�bal

Michael Abusabal - Bolognesi (Peru)

Cody Cook and Oscar Aguero - Energie Cottbus

Octavio Maginnis-Castro - Peterborough United

http://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/index.php?t=news&id=64196&c=1

looks like octavio maginnis is going to sign with vitesse after the winter break

thx for the update JPG.

How here's the real question: would anyone like to take a shot in the dark about a possible first team lineup and formations? Also, any chance this gruop is better on paper than the 07 pool? I'd take a guess, but my knowledge is limited to players who we saw at the last u-20 plus only a few others.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

thx for the update JPG.

How here's the real question: would anyone like to take a shot in the dark about a possible first team lineup and formations? Also, any chance this gruop is better on paper than the 07 pool? I'd take a guess, but my knowledge is limited to players who we saw at the last u-20 plus only a few others.

My gut tells me that this crop is as good as the last--maybe a bit better--but the only real test of quality will be to see how they perfrom against quality oponents in real competition. We got so hyped up about our last group and I think it would be silly to do the same again next go around. Let's get excited, sure, but let's be reasonable in our expectations.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

thx for the update JPG.

You're welcome..

BTW, Edwini-Bonsu is a forward, i think he was listed as a D at some point which is why i had him in that position.

GK:

Jaswinder Gill (89) U. of Alberta

Michal Misiewicz (90) Plymouth

Julien Latendresse-Levesque (91) Metz

Adam Street (91) West Ham

Robert Stillo (91) Genoa

Defenders:

Nana Attakora-Gyan (89) Toronto FC

Gabe Gala (89) Toronto FC

Kennedy Owusu-Ansah (89) Hertha BSC

Olivier Lacoste-Lebuis (90) Strasbourg

Octavio Maginnis-Castro (90) Vitesse Arnhem

Alex Martinez (89) Atlas

Nik Giannota (89) Hibernian

Eddy Sidra (89) Energie Cottbus

Philippe Davies (90) Vancouver

Tomasz Machul (89) 1860 München

Greg Smith (90) Vancouver

Adam Straith (90) Vancouver

Midfielders:

Michael Nonni (89) Groningen

Matt Lam (89) Ajax Amsterdam

Kyle Bekker (90) Ajax Amsterdam

Shaun Saiko (89) Middlesborough

Brandon Bonifacio (89) Cambuur-Leuwarden

Joey Melo (89) Toronto FC

Michael Pereira (89) Providence

Dane Roberts (89) Furman

Sean Rosa (90) Metz

Devin Gunenc (90) Vancouver

Mohommed Sylla (90) Unattached(NTC-ONT?)

Alex Semenets (90) Vancouver

Marcus Johnstone (90) Vancouver

Abde Sylla (92) Metz

Derek Gaudet (89) Unattached(NTC-ATL?)

Teal Bunbury (90) US-ODP/Apple Valley

Antonio Rago (90) Vancouver

Fabian Troche (90) Defensor Sporting

Forwards:

David Hoillett Jr. (90) Paderborn 07

Randy Edwini-Bonsu (90) Vancouver

Reid Fraser (89) VMSL

Marcus Haber (89) Groningen

Robbie Giezen (89) Groningen

Todd Rutledge (89) Fairfield

Kyle Porter (90) Vancouver

Jarek Whiteman (90) Vancouver

Chris Sherrife (90) Unattached(NTC-ONT?)

i think the pool is deeper that the last group, i am not sure whether they have the 3 or 4 stars that will make the difference. for example, the last group had a pretty good core in Edgar, Johnson, and Peters who all had some first team experience at a pretty high level. this side doesn't really have any one as of yet who has that experience. most are not even playing for their reserves side. of course, there is still 18 months to go before the World Cup so a few of them (TFC players for example) may get it. Bonifacio is one who is playing regularly first team if dutch division 2 and performing well by all accounts

Octavio is a 1990.

Randall (Edwini-Bonsu) is a forward.

Michal is a 1990.

U16 Reese Cup Gold Medalists, Alberta 1990s:

83646585-S.jpg

Back row, first player on left is Ethan Gage, 1991, Whitecaps

fourth player is Randall

Front row third player is Marcus Johnstone, fourth player is Antonio Rago, sixth player is Michal M, seventh is Octavio Maginnis.

Have we learned nothing from the U20 Tournament that just passed. Our players are not of the standard, simple as that. Most may be with clbs in Europe, but they are fillers at best;certainly not may stay players. Edgar, Peters, Oconnor all of them were not even close to what was on display.

Mitchell had the best prepared squad ever and not a single player stood out (don't even mention the team)

Canada must understand that it needs a league and below that a development league for its young players. This is why Canada dominates at Junior hockey. Then and only then can National coaches really scout players, playing against decent opposition on a regular basis. Getting players together for some International games and then playing tournaments is like rolling dice.

Soccer just does not matter to Canadians so we will never be competitive in the sport. If it mattered we would have our own league and not go begging to the Americans.

quote:Originally posted by ANC2

Have we learned nothing from the U20 Tournament that just passed. Our players are not of the standard, simple as that. Most may be with clbs in Europe, but they are fillers at best;certainly not may stay players. Edgar, Peters, Oconnor all of them were not even close to what was on display.

Mitchell had the best prepared squad ever and not a single player stood out (don't even mention the team)

Canada must understand that it needs a league and below that a development league for its young players. This is why Canada dominates at Junior hockey. Then and only then can National coaches really scout players, playing against decent opposition on a regular basis. Getting players together for some International games and then playing tournaments is like rolling dice.

Soccer just does not matter to Canadians so we will never be competitive in the sport. If it mattered we would have our own league and not go begging to the Americans.

Apparenty that is not needed, as we now have MLS.

• 6 months later...

Archived