UNDER 20 PLAYER POOL

AEDIFICAMUS

Wow I almost forgot about Stillo.

Stillo, Street, Misciewcz and there are others I know I am missing Whitecaps 90 keeper I forget his name plus the Benfica kid.

Good keeper depth it looks like, especially since the top 2 imo Stillo and Street are both available for 2011.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Lacoste-Lebuis is playing for Strasbourg reserves who like Germany actually play in the 3rd division I believe so thats good.

I forgot about Teal Bunbury and Im sure there will be other college/university players who pop up or TFC academy players who might push for a spot. Impressive for Bunbury to be playing so well at university thats good to hear

That's pretty solid, thanks Keegan. Too bad holiett won't be coming, but I'm pretty happy with our depth so be it.

Re D. Hoillet situation (Jamaica vs Canada choice?): perhaps this is naive thinking but would it be worthwhile having someone (independent of OSA/CSA:soccer establishment) speak to family to encourage them to make a decision which is not being dictated by an event in past (being cut from U14 provincial team if this is fact the case). If they can be convinced to look beyond past events, playing for Canada might still be an option? "Back to Basics", you seem to have a connection to family ... is this realistic at all?

Otherwise, I say move on and concentrate on who is playing for us. It's unfortunate but a part of the business.

"Back to Basic" you seem to have some conection

quote:Originally posted by NPE

Re D. Hoillet situation (Jamaica vs Canada choice?): perhaps this is naive thinking but would it be worthwhile having someone (independent of OSA/CSA:soccer establishment) speak to family to encourage them to make a decision which is not being dictated by an event in past (being cut from U14 provincial team if this is fact the case). If they can be convinced to look beyond past events, playing for Canada might still be an option? "Back to Basics", you seem to have a connection to family ... is this realistic at all?

Otherwise, I say move on and concentrate on who is playing for us. It's unfortunate but a part of the business.

"Back to Basic" you seem to have some conection

If Hoilett is leaning towards Jamaica, fcuk him. Bye bye. If he is opting out of U20's only because he wants to stay with his pro team, I have no problem with that. But any dithering over who he plays for, fcuk him.

I'm getting sick of this ****. He will no longer be considered a Canuck in Germany unless he comes out and says he intends to play for us.

NPE, almost to late to try to turn them (junior & father) back to the Canadian side he turned down multiple u17 camps and now u20s. Its looking very very unlikely at this point. Nontheless I have spoken to members of his family but this grudge appears to cut them deep. They will not forgive it appears and certainly haven't forgotten.

quote:Originally posted by Back to Basics

NPE, almost to late to try to turn them (junior & father) back to the Canadian side he turned down multiple u17 camps and now u20s. Its looking very very unlikely at this point. Nontheless I have spoken to members of his family but this grudge appears to cut them deep. They will not forgive it appears and certainly haven't forgotten.

This arguably could be the worst "defection" of them all. Hargreaves, Jonathan De Guzman, Daniel Fernandes & Steven Vitoria all opted for European teams that we would only ever face in a World Cup final. If Hoilet opts to play for Jamaica he will be suiting up for a team that we directly compete against in order to get to the World Cup (or Olympics), and potentially in Gold Cup as well. He wouldn't just be not playing for us, but he'd be playing against us.

Well sad to say but time to move on. If he counts the actions of a bunch of Scots working for the OSA as reason to turn his back on the country of his birth, then forget about him. We've got lots of kids coming up who will die to play for Canada.

I would like to hear the real story behind him being cut. Was he really cut because of politics or was this a simple cut by an honest coach who didn't rate Hoilett? You often hear parents claiming their son didn't made the team because of politics and they find any conspiracy theories that'll suit them but it's often more complicated then that.

Can someone give us the name of that coach?

^ I would bet the house on choice number 1. Regardless, if that is his reason for turning his back on Canada, I wouldn't expect him to have the stones, heart, pluck, whatever you want to call it, to play for Canada anyway.

Carlos Rivas. Team Ontario u14, 13 year David Hoillet is good enough to make the team, parents hear of his age and complain that it is unfair that someone younger is taking the spot of their son and he is cut on the basis he is younger then everyone else.

He was clearly good enough because that same year he went to the Ian Rush tourny where he was scouted by Blackburn.

Carlos Rivas. Team Ontario u14, 13 year David Hoillet is good enough to make the team, parents hear of his age and complain that it is unfair that someone younger is taking the spot of their son and he is cut on the basis he is younger then everyone else.

He was clearly good enough because that same year he went to the Ian Rush tourny where he was scouted by Blackburn.

Thanks. I'm just a little bit puzzle with all this. He first make the team and then the parents complained(which parents? of his teamates or of some already cut kids?) so he gets cut. I'm surprise that parents are being that influential for the Ontario team selection. And what about the reason, surely Hoillett isn't the first underage player to make a provincial team???

nah, youre not making it clear enough. The kid was an absolute phenomenon, and his getting cut was a travesty. Hoillet got screwed, blatantly and openly.

but the main thing is that his dad supports the reggae boyz and i guess its natural for the kid to lean that way too.

I hope this isn't true! Absolutely embarrassing if it is! Its not like he is jumping for glory, Jamaica hasn't won ANYTHING at least we can say we've won the Olympics and Gold Cup. Plus we seem to have a ton of talent coming through right now while Jamaica is probably hoping on some English kids to jump to Jamaica.

Very strange.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

I hope this isn't true! Absolutely embarrassing if it is! Its not like he is jumping for glory, Jamaica hasn't won ANYTHING at least we can say we've won the Olympics and Gold Cup. Plus we seem to have a ton of talent coming through right now while Jamaica is probably hoping on some English kids to jump to Jamaica.

Very strange.

WTF is that??? Now using that 1904 victory to attract players??? ahahaha good one

Well since this topic is drifting off course anyway...

I don't know about you guys but I find it ironic that we so often hear that kids who're eligible to play for country X feel compelled to play for country X because</u> of some perceived injustice they've suffered at the hands of this or that provincial or Canadian national organization.

Ah, I see. So no one in the Third World ever suffers these sorts of perceived injustices? I guess it would all have been better if only your parents had stayed in country X, Y or Z instead of trying to find a better life in Canada because then you'd never have been a victim? Because, you know, these sorts of things odviously only ever happen in Canada?

Yeah, sure. Whatever.

Anyway, I hope young Mr. Hoilet has more good sense and is made of sterner stuff than some others.

If the kid was good enough,it is indeed unfortunate that he wasn't given the opportunity to play at that level (U14 provincial), it's also a real pity when families cannot see past a relatively minor setback (given this individuals talent and the likelihood he would get his chance).

tks "Back to Basic" - for talking to family - although from what you said it seems set in stone.

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

How good is this group of players compare to previous CDN U-20 teams? Are they good enough to qualify and do well in the next World U-20?

We certainly have some talented players and the core of the team are training and playing in a reputable professional club environment (rather than in past years when so many of our players in the pool came from NTCs)

However, it is impossible to judge how good the team will be until we see the final roster and evaluate them in game situations.

I don't see us having the kind of talent that would win medals but we may have good enough talent to get out of the opening round (assuming we even qualify for the WC....there is no guarantee of that)

i would not be surprised if Holiet is waiting to see if Jamacia qualifies for the WC. If they beat us, and Mexico beats Honduras...they will be into the final round. That would give them a good shot at qualifying. If they do that, Jamaica has qualified twice in the last 12 years...a much better record than us.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

i would not be surprised if Holiet is waiting to see if Jamacia qualifies for the WC. If they beat us, and Mexico beats Honduras...they will be into the final round. That would give them a good shot at qualifying. If they do that, Jamaica has qualified twice in the last 12 years...a much better record than us.

That's just it. I hate that players feel stronger allegiance to their parents' homeland (where they probably have only spent a few weeks on vacation) instead of where they grew up. However, Canada's recent qualification efforts do nothing to make these kids reconsider. We haven't been to the Hex since 1997!

Hoillet aside, maybe we should start a pool for the next promissing player to defect :(.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

I wouldn't doubt this as a likely scenario. If he sees an opportunity with an upstart Jamaican team with a chance to qualify then why not go that way(in his mind)? However if Jamaica don't advance then i don't see much difference between the 2 programs on the field. And the JFF have had serious money issues in the past, they make the CSA look like rich kids. When Burrell got voted out Jack Warner shut off the handout tap and Jamaica were screwed, it's only when Burrell got back in a year ago that the money started to flow again and they were able to afford to fly their players in from Europe for matches. The one thing going for them is that they won't accept defeat and had the guts to switch coaches which makes them more of a soccer nation than us.

Archived