Jump to content

North & South America 2010 WC Qualifying


David C.

Recommended Posts

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=ap-fifa-americas&prov=ap&type=lgns

2 American confederations to play for spot at next World Cup

December 6, 2006

ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) -- Teams from two American confederations will play for a spot at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

The fifth-place South American country will face the fourth-place nation from CONCACAF, FIFA said Wednesday.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter decided that the Oceania champion will play against Asia's fifth-best team, keeping the number of qualifiers from each region the same as last time. FIFA later said it was possible the Oceania champion could play in the late stages of Asian qualifying instead of a two-leg playoff.

Australia beat Uruguay and Trinidad and Tobago defeated Bahrain in playoffs to qualify for the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

In other action at a two-day meeting of soccer's governing body:

-- Blatter reiterated his concern on the slow pace of stadium construction for the 2010 World Cup. "Nevertheless, we express confidence in South Africa," he said.

-- The ruling body cleared FIFA vice president Jack Warner of illegally selling thousands of tickets during the 2006 World Cup.

-- Blatter criticized a European Union-backed report in May that said financial scandals, corruption and racism left European soccer in a dire state and urged the "direct involvement of political leaders." Blatter said that represented greater government involvement in sports.

-- FIFA opened the bidding procedure for the 2014 World Cup in South America. The host will be chosen in November 2007, with Brazil the favorite.

-- FIFA rejected an application from the British colony of Gibraltar to become a member.

Thirteen European countries and five African countries will play at the next World Cup. Host South Africa automatically qualifies.

The 2010 World Cup dates are June 11-July 11, with the draw for qualifying set for Nov. 23, 2007, in Durban.

Also, the 2009 Confederations Cup will be played in South Africa from June 14-27 in the cities of Johannesburg, Bloemfontein, Port Elizabeth, Pretoria and Rustenburg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea this sucks... I'd much rather we play a country like Bahrain than Uruguay or Ecuador.

But who knows, maybe by the time of WC2010 qualifying we will have it all together, be in top form and be killing everyone that stands in our way!!

Or, we could still have no coach...[B)]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Top 5 Asian teams:

Japan

South Korea

Iran

Australia

Saudi Arabia

Seeing as all 5 were at the last WC, it shouldn't be as bad as Bahrein, because of the addition of Oz.

For CONCACAF, it'll be harder, but we need to concentrate on making the Hex before anything else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know, I hate that the defending champion doesn't get an automatic birth. It should be a gift to the federation that because they won the last tournament, they can receive an extra spot.

Otherwise, I feel the format is good as it is. It think that FIFA is giving appropriate allocations to each federation. In terms of Africa, we should really only look at it as five teams, because South Africa is the host.

13 EUROPE

3.5 CONCACAF

5 AFRICA

4.5 ASIA

4.5 SOUTH AMERICA

0.5 OCEANIA

1.0 HOST

32 TOTAL

That is off the top of my head, but it seems right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Africa should get 4.5 and South America 5. CONCACAF .5 playing Africa .5 and it wouldn't be that easier for the 4th CONCACF team to be playing an African team.

Brazil, Argentina and Ecuador all went trough the group stage with only Paraguay getting eliminated in the first round.

Only one African team went to the second round on a possible 5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Soccerpro

Hopefully the "new and improved CSA" would put the home game in Whitehorse or Yellowknife

Or Winnipeg in November or April. Or in St. John's. Or Saint John.

Too bad they (the CSA) have forgotten the advantages of St. John's

in 1985 WCQ. Why make it easy for the damned visitors? I never

understood why they keep accomodating the Latino fans at Swangard.

No more excuses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Or Winnipeg in November or April. Or in St. John's. Or Saint John.

Too bad they (the CSA) have forgotten the advantages of St. John's

in 1985 WCQ. Why make it easy for the damned visitors? I never

understood why they keep accomodating the Latino fans at Swangard.

No more excuses.

Because it makes too much sense, and up to this point, the CSA's motto has been "Let's not try too hard to help the MNT qualify"

However as much as I love to harp on Canadas big cities (ie Toronto, Vancouver) for being absolutly useless as home venues , I do remember for WC 2002 qualifying we played Hondouras or somebody else in Winnipeg in the absolute freezing cold and still managed to lose, so....who knows. But were doomed to playing in Toronto forever now so whats the use whining over it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Soccerpro

Because it makes too much sense, and up to this point, the CSA's motto has been "Let's not try too hard to help the MNT qualify"

However as much as I love to harp on Canadas big cities (ie Toronto, Vancouver) for being absolutly useless as home venues , I do remember for WC 2002 qualifying we played Hondouras or somebody else in Winnipeg in the absolute freezing cold and still managed to lose, so....who knows. But were doomed to playing in Toronto forever now so whats the use whining over it.

Maybe your memory has failed, because Canada has never lost in Winnipeg. The city has hosted three men's national team matches, all in 2000:

223 May 30, 2000 Honduras Friendly Win 2:1 Winnipeg, MB

225 June 11, 2000 Cuba World Cup Qualifyer Draw 0:0 Winnipeg, Manitoba

230 October 9, 2000 Panama World Cup Qualifyer Win 1:0 Winnipeg, Manitoba

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/nationals/m_wc/mens_results.pdf

Unfortunately, there really isn't anywhere to play these days in Winnipeg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am outraged absolutely outraged by this FIFA meeting. What disgrace, what corruption, what discrimination. Gibraltar deserves its own spot goddammit.

How could an organization so wise to pardon good ol' Jack and to scream interference in sport when any political or enforcement agency wants to look into its shady affairs deny a rising soccer Superpower entry into its ranks? Guess those Gibralterans forgot to sign the "We will vote for you forever" contract that Sepp sent them or maybe Spain threatened to tear up their similar contract if the Gibs were let in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Maybe your memory has failed, because Canada has never lost in Winnipeg. The city has hosted three men's national team matches, all in 2000:

223 May 30, 2000 Honduras Friendly Win 2:1 Winnipeg, MB

225 June 11, 2000 Cuba World Cup Qualifyer Draw 0:0 Winnipeg, Manitoba

230 October 9, 2000 Panama World Cup Qualifyer Win 1:0 Winnipeg, Manitoba

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/nationals/m_wc/mens_results.pdf

Unfortunately, there really isn't anywhere to play these days in Winnipeg.

My bad. Although the issue of a stadium is a difficult one. A bright spot may be Halifax where bidding for the Commonwealth games is going ahead already commiting to a 14 million dollar bid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I think Africa should get 4.5 and South America 5. CONCACAF .5 playing Africa .5 and it wouldn't be that easier for the 4th CONCACF team to be playing an African team.

Brazil, Argentina and Ecuador all went trough the group stage with only Paraguay getting eliminated in the first round.

Only one African team went to the second round on a possible 5.

Yes, but there are only 10 teams in South America, whereas Africa has many more. How can one continent have 50% of their membership guaranteed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Yes, but there are only 10 teams in South America, whereas Africa has many more. How can one continent have 50% of their membership guaranteed?

Currently they have 40% with a chance of 50% so, no big deal giving them the 1 instead of the .5 since it's easily the best and toughest qualification zone in the world.

Africa, like CONCACAF have a lots of minnows and their teams didn't do well in Germany so they should've at least lose a spot or a half spot. I guess it was too complicated to re-organize the qualifications there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Jeffery S.

One advantage for the half team from Concacaf is less problems with time zones playing the Comebol no. 5. Sure, if you had an Asian team coming to Canada, that was our advantage, but the reverse situation was theirs.

The key, in any case, is getting into the Hex, it is critical. We have to get at least nine points out of the semi-final round, and have to ensure that the home advantage really works, that we can pressure the other side and make things uncomfortable for it.

Once in the Hex there is a lot more margin for error, as coming in fourth keeps us alive, but that is looking too far. In any case having to play vs the no 5 Comebol team is hard, so you would probably have to strive for third overall, a difficult challenge, as any no 5 team from South America will be better than three worst teams in the Hex, IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

i think this is a great idea. if we can't beat and/or draw the 5th place south american team then we don't deserve to be in the world cup. simple as that. the same goes for every other concacaf/asian team.

True, but the winner of New Zealand/Asian 5th place team may still not deserve to be in the world cup (who would they have beaten?)...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...