Stephen Hart

aussoccerfan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hart weighing options

Halifax coach wants better idea of the direction of the CSA

By GORDIE SUTHERLAND Sports Reporter

The next time the Canadian senior men's soccer team takes to the field it should have a permanent head coach in place.

Stephen Hart of Halifax filled in on an interim basis after Frank Yallop left in June to lead the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer, but he's unsure as to whether he'll apply for the vacant job.

Deadline for applications is the end of January.

It's one of three major positions available within the Canadian Soccer Association, including technical director and chief executive officer.

'I'd like to see where the developments are going,' Hart said when asked why he has yet to apply. 'I'd like to see what direction the CSA itself is going.'

He said he's confident he can do the job. He served as Yallop's assistant before and is also the head coach of Canada's under-17 team.

'The situation is one where I would not have taken the interim position in the first place if I didn't think I had the confidence to do it,' said Hart, who is originally from Trinidad and Tobago but has called Halifax home for more than 20 years.

Hart had the reins for Canada's home-and-away series against Jamaica and a recent road game against Hungary. The team went 1-2.

Injuries and club commitments limited Hart's access to Canada's top players for the friendly versus Hungary, a 1-0 loss on Nov. 15.

Scoring was a problem throughout the three-game set.

'What we probably lacked is a bit of killer instinct around the penalty box and a little bit of composure as well,' said Hart, a father of three. 'The chances were definitely there. 'We should have done better.'

He said he enjoyed the experience.

'You look forward to challenges like that,' said Hart, first hired by the CSA in 2001.

Colin Linford, president of the CSA, was with Hart when the team faced Jamaica in Montreal in early September and also travelled to Hungary.

He said Hart did well and noted the team's results were secondary.

'He was put there, really, to stabilize the situation, to give the players a little confidence in that it wasn't their fault Frank left,' Linford said from his home in Kitchener, Ont.

'He has done all of those things.'

Linford expects Hart will apply for the coaching job.

Linford also said that while the race is wide open there's a movement to make sure the job is filled by a Canadian.

'There's a lot of support for a Canadian coach because they understand that it's not the normal national coach position that one would have in other country, i.e., if you're in Europe you tend to go and watch a game every Saturday. We don't have that because we don't have a league as such.

'There's going to be that part of the equation that some coaches from overseas don't understand and maybe don't like.'

Canadian national team defender Ante Jazic of Bedford said Hart would be a popular choice. The two go way back. Hart coached Jazic in youth soccer.

'I spoke to a lot of the fellas and they were all impressed with Stephen's work over the Jamaican series,' Jazic, 30, said recently from Los Angeles where he played this past season with the Galaxy. 'I know, coming from the players' point of view, no one would have a problem with the selection of Stephen Hart.'

Hart and Linford agree that getting the men's team more games is a priority.

Linford said he'd like Canada to take full advantage of the 10 international breaks, allotted each season.

'Those would be 10 dates we'd be seeking opposition, whether it would be in Europe or whether it would be CONCACAF,' Linford said.

Among the other challenges is making sure players are available. The MLS, which will have a Toronto entry next season, does not recognize international breaks.

An increasing number of Canadians are signing to play in the MLS.

'They've got to work with us and we've got to work with them,' Linford said. 'Talking to the MLS has to be a priority, too.' gsutherland@herald.ca

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Yes, but can they win ?

Mitchell has won at the youth level. Qualifying twice for the U-20 World Cup. He was the A-League's (now USL) coach of the year in 2001.

I think it is time we give him a shot with the big boys. If not, he could leave the CSA. And that would be a bad loss for Soccer in Canada. See what he can do in the Gold Cup. If he can finnish top three, why not give him the job for 2010?

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Mitchell has won at the youth level. Qualifying twice for the U-20 World Cup. He was the A-League's (now USL) coach of the year in 2001.

I think it is time we give him a shot with the big boys. If not, he could leave the CSA. And that would be a bad loss for Soccer in Canada. See what he can do in the Gold Cup. If he can finnish top three, why not give him the job for 2010?

Because he has the U20s to take care of and if the GC's a flop, then we're in the same situation that we were with Yallop being hired in 2004 if we go looking for another coach.

Bad, bad move if we go with one of the two. Let Mitchell work with the youths a bit more, some coaches spend 10 years with the U20s before getting promoted! He'll still be there and we'll know how good he really is, plus he'll have coached an entire generation on the NT. Right now, he only has the young guys starting at Simpson, Hume and Hutch.

Is there someone significantly better in Canada or elsewhere

who can be got at a comparable price. I would think to get someone

from outside (who may not do any better because the players/CDN soccer infrastructure remain the same) it would cost more.

I'm on the fence, these days.

While a foreign coach might lift us to new heights, it is also possible that the program gets broken down, before being built up in an entirely new direction (yet) again. If the CSA chooses this path, I hope that either Mitchell or Hart become the assitant, so that the transition can be smooth.

Although we could improve certain in certain aspects, I do like the general direction of our current team. It would be a shame to lose that. I wouldn't be opposed to Dale or Stephen getting the HC job, as long as an outside assistant is hired, to fill in the gaps and offer a different perspective.

quote:Originally posted by NPE

To me they both seem like sound individuals, who are committed to the

Program, know the issues and are less likely to leave when a

better offer arrives

Sounds like a description of Yallop when he was hired.

Unfortunately, Dale Mitchell and Stephen Hart are not two names that should be being considered for the job. I'm sure they are great people, but if winning coach of the year in the USL is a credential that earns you consideration for MNT coach, then it is not a quality position.

These two do not have the experience necessary. Hart especially. I will be disappointed if the new direction of the CSA sees us hire someone from within.

quote:Originally posted by NPE

Is there someone significantly better in Canada or elsewhere

who can be got at a comparable price. I would think to get someone

from outside (who may not do any better because the players/CDN soccer infrastructure remain the same) it would cost more.

:(

Yeah, it's all about value for the dollar. Where do you spend the dollars? Manager's wages or squad prepreation?

Hart and Mitchell already both know what they'll get out of the CSA in the way of tools necessary to do their jobs properly. Or lack there of, and so won't be "blind-sided" by any unhappy surprises.

Where's the logic in dropping 10 or 20% of the CSA's annual budget to hire an experienced international coach who's program you couldn't afford to properly/effectively finance anyway?

I don't know. I was leaning Mitchell but I don't know. There's a world, and I mean a world of difference between managing the seniors and the younger kids and it all breaks down to player availability, and the eye and smarts for seeing and molding the program around your strengths and weaknesses and I'm not sure if Mitchell has that to be honest.

Not sure Hart does either, but for no other reason then a hunch I think Hart is more open to the learning experience than Mitchell.

quote:'There's a lot of support for a Canadian coach because they understand that it's not the normal national coach position that one would have in other country, i.e., if you're in Europe you tend to go and watch a game every Saturday. We don't have that because we don't have a league as such.'There's going to be that part of the equation that some coaches from overseas don't understand and maybe don't like.'

I don't buy that at all. If our coaching short list includes only Mitchell and Hart then Linford is a complete miscast in his position regardless of whether he fired Pipe and talks a good talk. Hart is not only completely unqualified for the position, he had a very unimpressive run as interim coach. If he is on the shortlist at all it should only be as a polite gesture. Mitchell is far more qualified but it is still quite risky to hire someone who has had no experience or success as a senior Men's team coach. He could turn out to be a great choice but could also turn out to someone who seemed to have potential but ends up being a great disappointment (like someone I am trying hard not to name ;)). I would only hire Mitchell if we really don't have the budget to hire someone else with a proven record. The idea of favouring a Canadian coach is complete and utter idiocy in my opinion particularly as in my opinion Mitchell is the only Canadian candidate even remotely qualified for the position. I have no worries about losing Mitchell either. I like him as a coach and think one day he will be our national team coach. If he doesn't get the position he should not be pissed off and if he is then he is not the right guy for the job in the first place. I would like to see him get a job as assistent coach on the Men's team or possibly with a club side to gain more experience so that when he does get the job he is fully ready for it. We may not be the richest soccer federation but I can not think of a much better thing for us to spend the money that we do have than on an experienced, successful national team coach.

quote:Originally posted by Kevin in NS

I know of an Experienced FIFA Coach who is interested but now discouraged by the nationalism being mouthed.

Too bad for us!

Since I don't know who you are referring to I can't comment on whether he is someone suitable for the position yet this points out a big problem with Linford's recent comments. Stating that we are favouring hiring a Canadian coach has the effect of reducing the number of qualified and interested non-Canadian coaches who will apply for the job. What we should be doing is encouraging as many people as possible to apply and should then hire the best candidate we can afford regardless of nationality.

And as to why we should hire a Canadian coach vs an International because we would save on Salary to get more games.... When Yallop was coach he still had trouble getting CSA to get more international games.

And we want growth at all levels getting more international experience and this most come from the CSA now now at a snail pace as they are manufacturing at H.Q. right now. Lots of Talk but no names for any of the position and what they are looking for. I guess the fans are always the last to know are asked for their input.

I do hope Linsford fines the right fit but......

Archived